Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Suspension Help---willing To Spend $$$ Then Give Feedback

I'm tired of having squeaky ass dead shocks so I'm looking to replace them. Further, I have a nail in one of my bald tires and I want SFC's to stiffen up the ride.

Here's the specs of my car: K&N FIPK, Hooker CB Exhaust, Jasper performance trans. My trans I guess ripped apart the back tires through shifting pretty quickly, because the rears have a lot of wear on the center tread compared to the rest of the tire. I currently have 16" firebird chrome rims and still have the stockers on the side of the house and I'm thinking of going to 18" rims (anyone know the difference in treadwear from 16" to 18"?). With that, I can lower my car just a bit because I want to get rid of the 4x4 look but without having to worry about scraping my Y3F body kit, so I guess lowering it w/ 18" rims will keep stock height.

Please give me any suggestions what to upgrade along with SFC's, new tires, and shocks (what type?) with respect to a college student's income. I have about $800 in the bank right now and I'm going to save up enough and get all this done in one shot. If you know of good coil-overs then tell me too. Air-bags are a possibility as well as long as they aren't too much so I can play with the height without having to work on the car.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Oh yea, and legal height would be nice. Specific brand names would be nice and a complete list of what you would do.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Bilstein HD shocks from Sam Strano Auto...best mod for my DD to date. BMR SFC and LCA, stiffer FSB, 32mm or 35mm

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Fsb?

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Front Sway Bar

Life in the Fast lane sunsetorangess's Avatar

Met. Sunset Orange
    01 SS

I noticed more of a diff after my stb over my sfc instail but i went with bmr sfc and so far so good.
    J
    2001 SS, Its not the car its the Driver that matters....

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

panhard rod a good mod? what does the AF lca's do?

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

What I'm thinking of doing is going off to the track before the tires & suspension, see what i run, them come back after the tires & suspension upgrade because I'd like to think it did something for me

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

how would the 18" wheels change my 1/4 mile??? my guess is negatively effect my 0-60 and maybe 0-100 but increase the 1/4 mi. a little bit but not much.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

I wouldn't go air-bag approach nor coil-overs... not only are they $$$, but will not necessarily meet your needs.
    apart from your SFCs, wheels + tires, I'd just get a BIG front swaybar, keep rear stock one, and deal with springs/shocks.
    springs/shocks can get quite expensive depending on what you want.
    From what you said, the budget is still limited and have to spend the $ wisely.
    Having said that, if you are able to live w/ a 3/4" drop, you can save money on getting great shocks such as Koni SA in the front and some Bilstein in the rear.
    The Koni SA will allow you to drop the car height by 3/4" because it has 2 perch locations. For the rear, replacing the rear spring isolator by heater hose on the first coil will lower the car by the same amount.
    The shocks are a bit more expensive than standard shocks, but still cost less than a standard spring/shock setup, while giving you a MUCH better handling/confort ride... and costing you a bit less. It still lowers the car, but by 3/4", which is a good stance in my humble opinion.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

So far indefinitely:
    18"-9.5 rims or 18"-9.5 rear 17"-8.5 front (2nd option give better handling?)
    Possibly Vredstein tires on those
    2-point weld-in sub-frame connectors

I've ruled out coil-overs because of the cost. I don't want to spend over $2000 at all.

I think for lowering my car, I'm going to go with Granatelli's lowering springs. I've heard good things about them from a friend that has them. What shocks would be good w/ these springs? What kind of drop could I expect with those rims and lowering springs? Again, I'm not interested in lowering but closing up those damn wheel-wells so I don't look like a 4x4 anymore.

Possibly bigger front sway bar - 2 votes
    strut tower brace

any use for LCA's, LCA rel. brackets, panhard rod, or upper panhard rod?

Also, PLEASE tell me what would be going over my head for a 19 year old with a Camaro running mid 13's. My intent isn't making my Camaro significantly faster than it is right now due to gas prices and Ford loving police. I'm not doing any internals on this, just bolt-ons (unless I find a magic cam that won't kill MPG)
    Last edited by myk02k; 10-02-2006 at 05:57 PM.

triple-black

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k View Post
    So far indefinitely:
    18"-9.5 rims or 18"-9.5 rear 17"-8.5 front (2nd option give better handling?)
    Possibly Vredstein tires on those
    2-point weld-in sub-frame connectors

I've ruled out coil-overs because of the cost. I don't want to spend over $2000 at all.

I think for lowering my car, I'm going to go with Granatelli's lowering springs. I've heard good things about them from a friend that has them. What shocks would be good w/ these springs? What kind of drop could I expect with those rims and lowering springs? Again, I'm not interested in lowering but closing up those damn wheel-wells so I don't look like a 4x4 anymore.

Possibly bigger front sway bar - 2 votes
    strut tower brace

any use for LCA's, LCA rel. brackets, panhard rod, or upper panhard rod?

Also, PLEASE tell me what would be going over my head for a 19 year old with a Camaro running mid 13's. My intent isn't making my Camaro significantly faster than it is right now due to gas prices and Ford loving police. I'm not doing any internals on this, just bolt-ons (unless I find a magic cam that won't kill MPG)
    for handling, go wide in the front... stay with at least same width in the front... I'd go w/ 4x 18x9.5
    Also, for the STB, keep your $... it's a cosmetic piece, not a handling/performance piece.
    For now, you don't need to spend any $ on LCA/PHR... the stock one are more than enough for great handling... if you do, stay away from polyurethane unless you want the car to becaome a pure dragster and sacrifice handling.
    The Granelatti's springs are fairly stiff and very progressive... and since you're not into too much of a drop, I'd go w/ the 3/4" drop and save the $... while getting great shocks.
    For speed, there is alawys nitrous to get you there... a 100-shot would do the trick @ track.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

I just did some measurements, and if I were to get bigger rims, the only tires recommended are the exact wheel height as what I've got right now. Sooo getting bigger rims won't raise my car to lower it and get rid of the wheel-well gap?

triple-black

to get rid of the gap, you need to lower the car... not get bigger wheels.
    you can do so by getting lowering springs (pretty much any spring will do that), or shocks that have multiple perch locations, such as the Koni's SA... that's for the front.
    The rear, either lowering springs or hose-mod.

White with silver stripes
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Check out ebay for KYB AGX 8-way adjustible shocks and struts, i got mine for $304.00 shipped to my door. As far as suspension, BMR has the best boxed SFC's in my opinion. I got my adjustible Lower Control Arms, adj. panhard, and Strut tower brace from UMI performance for a good price. and the most expinsive part was the $450 spohn torque arm, but it was worth it.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

OK, no more hesitation. I need to buy a pair of shocks by Wednesday since I already have my NGK Iridium plugs, Granatelli wires, and the SFC's are on the way. I think I'll wait on the FSB unless I find a good deal and get some time to measure mine before purchasing.

If I get Koni adjustable shocks and lower my car say 1/2 an inch, would that need an adjustable panhard rod or lowering springs??? Any shock advice I'm listening. From what I've heard is Koni is the best to go and Eibach is right behind. KYB is a so-so and HAL is for drag racing.

Eugenio, what's this hose mod? Gotta link? Why miss-match shocks? I'd expect a weird ride having 2 different sets of shocks. I like the idea of just a 3/4 in. drop and hopefully it won't cause me to destroy my body kit. All I want is those wheel-wells to have an even gap all around rather than huge at the top...
    Last edited by myk02k; 10-15-2006 at 12:12 AM.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

the hose mod is where you remove the rubber isolator from the top of the rear springs. it's about 3/4" thick. then you get a piece of 5/8" garden hose and put back in place of the isolator, so you don't get and noises from the spring rubbing the body of the car.

an adjustable panhard rod is a good idea regardless if the car is lowered or not.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

what's the diff. of single adjustable and double adjustable shocks?

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Koni SA's are expensive!!!!!!!

828 all around compared to 409 for KYB AGX shocks

i need some input whether this jump is really worth it.
    Last edited by myk02k; 10-15-2006 at 01:54 PM.

triple-black

you get what you pay for... KYB suck for handling/car control... pretty much a purely drag setup shock... with no damping control.
    Anyways, the difference between the SA and DA is Single-Adjustable vs Double-Adjustable.
    The single adjustable has 1 setting that control both rebound/compression
    the double adjustable allows you to set them independently.
    DA's are WAY more $, and not really worth the extra $ unless you REALLY serious about racing. I have them and love them... but if i had to redo it all over, i'd get SA with stock springs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information