Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Subframe connectors, weld vs bolt

This is a discussion on Subframe connectors, weld vs bolt within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; 99 Kobra, given the pictures posted would you agree the F-Body SFCs are full length connectors? I have to admit ...

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

99 Kobra, given the pictures posted would you agree the F-Body SFCs are full length connectors? I have to admit I don't get up close and presonal with Mustangs. I don't have a way to compare, until I go lay under a Mustag for a bit.

From the pics on their web site it looks like the Stang SFCs run the floor pan length and also over lay the any front and rear part of the frame, just a guess.

I would agree good quality welding is a way to go. I think UMI is offering a pretty good migration path and starting point.

nutty professor, i am with you. My car has scrapes and scratches on both bumpers, hmmm. I'm not an expert but my guess my car slid off the road once and never reported. I'm in the same boat, bolt in and verify the frame when i can afford it, and then weld up.

thanks

White
    '04 Mustang Cobra

Quote Originally Posted by kool-aide View Post
    99 Kobra, given the pictures posted would you agree the F-Body SFCs are full length connectors? I have to admit I don't get up close and presonal with Mustangs. I don't have a way to compare, until I go lay under a Mustag for a bit.

From the pics on their web site it looks like the Stang SFCs run the floor pan length and also over lay the any front and rear part of the frame, just a guess.

I would agree good quality welding is a way to go. I think UMI is offering a pretty good migration path and starting point.

nutty professor, i am with you. My car has scrapes and scratches on both bumpers, hmmm. I'm not an expert but my guess my car slid off the road once and never reported. I'm in the same boat, bolt in and verify the frame when i can afford it, and then weld up.

thanks
    I think you are right regarding the coverage of the Mustang connectors. The F-Body connectors appear to be full length. If I was in your position, I would consult with a speed shop that specializes in F-Bodies.
    Last edited by 99 Kobra; 10-26-2007 at 04:06 PM.
    '01 BMW 330ci: Race it in a modified class in BMW CCA Club Racing and NASA endurance races.
    '04 Lincoln LS V8 Sport: Stock.
    '04 Mustang Cobra coupe (white/gray): Modified.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

Is it necessary to have the frame checked before I install the weld-in SFC's? If so where would I go to have it checked?

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

I went with the weld-in because they were cheaper and i felt that it would hold stronger being welded
    1999 Camaro SS/ Pewter/ #1775 - LS1 6-speed - Predator 3 Custom Tune - Pro 5.0 - LS7 Clutch - 3.90's - Koni's - Strano Springs and Sway Bars - SFC's - Full UMI Chassis and Suspension - LS6 Intake PnP TB - ARH LT's and Kitty Ran Away - Magnaflow.

12.6 at 112

http://www.fquick.com/Tyler_LS1

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

i was planing on taking mine to a speed shop, but I heard a suggestion to go to a good muffler shop.

Wouldn't weld in cost more? They are cheaper to buy, but unless you have a free weld then you have to pay someone something. I'm guessing it would cost more than a 12 pack.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Most speed shops use mostly frame lifts, pretty much every exhaust shop has drive on lifts, which are required for the install. I simple jacked my car up and used an extra set of wheels to sit the car on, just layed on under each tire on the car and let it down on them. That was the suspension is loaded as required, and it's hight enough to work under

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

did you lift one side at a time or all fours? I was thinking of car ramps but only have two. I was thinking about either lifting the front and seeing how much rear clearance i would have or lifting one side at a time, like stunt driving.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

you need to get the whole car up and level, as if it were sitting like it would ride

Pewter
    1999 Camaro SS-M6 #1775

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    Most speed shops use mostly frame lifts, pretty much every exhaust shop has drive on lifts, which are required for the install. I simple jacked my car up and used an extra set of wheels to sit the car on, just layed on under each tire on the car and let it down on them. That was the suspension is loaded as required, and it's hight enough to work under

Crap,

All i had accessible to me was a 4 piont frame lift and i didnt think anything of it.

How bad is that?

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Tyler_LS1 View Post
    Crap,

All i had accessible to me was a 4 piont frame lift and i didnt think anything of it.

How bad is that?
    It's against the rules.

. . .but if your car is straight and you go it level on the frame lift then you're fine. Frame lifts really don't ever lift a car level though, it tends to sag front and back and bow up in the middle slightly.

If your car tracks straight and seems to handle uniformly as it would have stock then you don't have any problems

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

huh, sounds like i will either be banging knuckles at stock height or looking for a lift. Starting to sound like this DIY may go straight to weld in.

I don't think i can come up with four ramps of the same height, nor would i have four wheels handy. I sold my old PT steel wheels, DOH, would have been perfect.

Hmm, i will have to pnder this for quite some time now.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

jackstands under the rear axle and two rims under the fronts? Anything like that will work.

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

hmm, maybe i could swing two jack stands and wheel ramps in the front

how close would you say you need to level? near exact or close enough by the drunk eye?

the only spare wheels i have are mine and my wife's and she would never let me use her wheels and i love mine as well, lol...

where would you put the stands in the rear, like right on the axle near the weels or as far to the outerside as you could?

BTW we discussed this before but i can't help feeling compelled to buy the 3 pts. It seems every one has 2 pts. I am really torn between the two. I want to do something right, that's why i'm naking sure the bolt ons can be welded later.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

You'll never need 3-points, but being too careful isn't a big deal if you wanted to. Ramps and jackstand would be fine, just get it to where the rear and front are pretty much level to the eye and you should be alright

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sirenformula350 View Post
    Is it necessary to have the frame checked before I install the weld-in SFC's? If so where would I go to have it checked?
    anyone??

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

that's what i was thinking. Jack stands don't exactly have a lot of fine tuning in them, about what 1/2 inch maybe 5/8 or so.

I could always call the muffler shop and ask if they have ever done it before. This is one mod I really don't want to F up. I had fun explaining my disaster with motor mounts to the shop. But you know what, they were real cool about it and we all laughed. And then I cried over a beer later after paying the bill, lol...

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Well, for the sake of cash I think I will take Kentucky Speed up on their offer on 2 pt bolt on UMI SFCs.

I thought their name your GP or sale was real nice of them.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

I have UMI 3 point tubular bolt-in SFCs along with their rear LCAs and Panhard rod bar. They custom powder coated the parts in blue for me; it was a one shot $50 charge for all of the parts since they were all ordered at the same time. I also had them put in a driveshaft safety loop because the bracket ties the two subframes together. My car is a DD now (unfortunately, because I love driving the car but hate racking up the mileage), and the SFCs have made a huge difference in the tightness and solid feeling of the car. The guy who does my alignment work noticed the difference immediately: he said that he had never before driven or ridden in a F-body that felt as tight and didn't rattle or creak. I haven't had a problem with 'bolt hole elongation' or with the bolts loosening (put a little Locktite on the bolts before installation). The fit is superb (if the body's not twisted). However, MAKE SURE THAT THE SUSPENSION IS FULLY LOADED BEFORE YOU TORQUE DOWN THE MOUNTING SCREWS! Call Ryan @ UMI if you have any questions - they're a great company to buy from. They're not out to just sell a product, they want you to be satisfied with your purchase and with the performance of their products. I even took a couple of days off from work to go out to their facility in PA to have them do the install for me! You can always weld in the bolt-ins if you feel that you need it, but they're fine without welding.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by sirenformula350 View Post
    Any body shop with a frame rack can do it for you. However, don't waste your money until you get the SFCs and do a trial fit of the parts with the suspension fully loaded. Good SFCs should fit right in if the body's O.K. If you have a fit problem then you might as well have the body checked (there really isn't a true 'frame' with our unibodies) 'cuz the body shop's the only place that can set it right. Obviously they can also do the install at the same time. Remember, with weld-ins you only have one shot at getting it right!
    Last edited by Fastcar; 11-02-2007 at 07:50 AM. Reason: added stuff

Sebring Silver Metalic
    2002 Camaro Z28

that's true about weld ons. Thanks for the info. It is good to hear UMI is there for their customers. It may be a tight fight but I'm pretty sure I could probably put in the 2 pts with the stock height. It sucks being that low, but I've had to do some work like that before.

I like the car ramps and jack stands under the rear idea. The car ramps give full load up front and the jack stands should give me the load on the rear end.

too bad my favorite shop only has frame lifts, bummer.

thanks

kool-aide

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information