Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Subframe Connectors, Dual Exhaust, and Lowering

I have a 2002 Camaro SS. Im looking at the UMI 3 point weld in subframe connectors. Im going to put long tubes (Kooks) and true duals (Kooks) on the car eventually as well as lower it a little. Ive searched and found there will most likely not be a problem, but I just wanted to make sure as far as the exhaut goes. However does someone have a picture of how far the 3 points hang down? I kinda have my heart set on 3 points and i know UMI makes a great product. Thanks for the help.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Got a few pics in here, maybe it'll help

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f66/instal...ectors-160244/

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I run UMI 3 point bolt-in SFC's together with Kooks LT's and catted Y. Everything fits great and I have had zero issues with this setup. As far as the true duals, my understanding is that they require the use of certain suspension components specified by Kooks.

Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Alex, thanks for the pics. They look great.
    Jeff, I think you have to get a panhard bar relocation kit to run the true duals from Kooks.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That sounds right from what I recall.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Yeah great pics Alex. Thats what i was wondering about too- the 3-point UMI sfc`s.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

To be honest I run my car pretty hard around corners and off ramps so I opted for the three points. For a basic street car, two points would have been fine.
    I'm planning on trying out a few auto cross events in the future so I wanted to be certain the car could hold up. Never did get those side view shots, maybe ill snap a few later this week.

Quote Originally Posted by SSilverSS View Post
    I have a 2002 Camaro SS. Im looking at the UMI 3 point weld in subframe connectors. Im going to put long tubes (Kooks) and true duals (Kooks) on the car eventually as well as lower it a little. Ive searched and found there will most likely not be a problem, but I just wanted to make sure as far as the exhaut goes. However does someone have a picture of how far the 3 points hang down? I kinda have my heart set on 3 points and i know UMI makes a great product. Thanks for the help.
    Thanks for considering UMI!

Here are some photos.
    2002 Camaro SS : UMI Performance, Inc.

You can barely see the 3 points from kneeling down beside the car, and can't see them from standing level. They tuck nicely.

Have a great day and let me know if you have any questions.

ramey
    Ramey Womer
    Product Development Engineer
    ramey@umiperformance.com
    Join us on Facebook!

Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Hey Ramey, Im going with the Kooks 3" true duals and Kooks 1 7/8"x3" longtubes. Kooks says you need a panhard bar relocation kit and a driveshaft loop to run this exhaust. They have BMR part numbers but I would rather go with UMI. I notice UMI has 2 different loops to choose from (2025 and 2032). Which loop would be best for my application? Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by UMI Sales View Post
    Thanks for considering UMI!

Here are some photos.

You can barely see the 3 points from kneeling down beside the car, and can't see them from standing level. They tuck nicely.

Have a great day and let me know if you have any questions.

ramey
    Great shots Ramey...My 02SS is sooooooooooo jealous!!! I told it soon baby soon!!

Quote Originally Posted by SSilverSS View Post
    Hey Ramey, Im going with the Kooks 3" true duals and Kooks 1 7/8"x3" longtubes. Kooks says you need a panhard bar relocation kit and a driveshaft loop to run this exhaust. They have BMR part numbers but I would rather go with UMI. I notice UMI has 2 different loops to choose from (2025 and 2032). Which loop would be best for my application? Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it.
    Good morning.

Thanks for choosing UMI. We appreciate the support!

Here is our PHB relocation for that exhaust.
    1982 - 2002 GM F-Body Panhard Bar Relocation Kit [2024] - $219.99 : UMI Performance, Inc.

The 2032 is straight across much like the factory tunnel brace. Kook's products tuck up in nicely so that's why we can use the straight piece with them in most cases. If you get the exhaust first, you can test by running a straight edge, or even a factory tunnel brace, across the mounting pads. If it clears, you're good.

The 2025 has a dip in it, which helps clearance for exhaust but at the expense of a bit of ground clearance. If you are at stock height it's pretty good but on a lowered car we have to evaluate clearance vs ride height and make the decision accordingly.

Let me know if this helps.

later

ramey

Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

One last thing, I want to get the torque arm off the transmission. I want this UMI trans crossmember relocation bracket and a UMI torque arm. Will this work with the Kooks true duals? and what torque arm would be best? Adjustable or non adjustable?

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-969-umi...it-manual.aspx
    Last edited by SSilverSS; 11-30-2012 at 01:48 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

With an adjustable torque arm, you can adjust your pinion angle. This is a great feature to have, especially if you are lowered or are ever going to consider lowering your car. Lowering it changes the suspension geometry.

If you plan to stay at your stock ride height, you could purchase the non-adjustable torque arm. Stock pinion angle is set to around -2 degrees.

Personally, I like the feature of being adjustable. You just never know when you will add something later on, or how much tweaking a suspension component will help with your traction and launch at the track.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

^ Agree the more adjustable suspension parts you have the better for dialing in !!

Orange and Ghosty
    2001 WS6 m6

Ramey,

I'm in need of a torque arm setup that will clear tsp true duals... i'm from Mahaffey PA... we aren't 40 miles apart... sure would be nice to swing by your facility sometime!!! i have the 3 point bolt in sfc's already... +1 on great fit and they do tuck in perfectly!!!! i ended up getting them welded tho when i got my 6pt cage installed... added security...
    ceramic pacesetters, 3" tsp rumbler tds, clear lid, frost mail order, umi sfcs + stb, 6 pt cage, b&m line lock, short throw, hays clutch, centerforce flywheel, 160 stat, couple fancy new seats, cags-air-egr-rear seat delete...
    n2o in the works

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

C.J. - greetings from Mansfield. P.M. sent.

Hey CJ.

Thanks for the message.

If you're planning on keeping the TSP true duals forever and ever (which I would because they sound awesome), we recommend our 2205 standard length torque arm. The tunnel brace has trouble when using a short torque arm due to the conflict with the location.

Check this out:

Thanks for the kind words on the SFC fitment. The guys did a great job designing them.

Also, sending PM.

later

ramey

Quote Originally Posted by cj3489 View Post
    Ramey,

I'm in need of a torque arm setup that will clear tsp true duals... i'm from Mahaffey PA... we aren't 40 miles apart... sure would be nice to swing by your facility sometime!!! i have the 3 point bolt in sfc's already... +1 on great fit and they do tuck in perfectly!!!! i ended up getting them welded tho when i got my 6pt cage installed... added security...

Thread Information