Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

subframe connectors

This is a discussion on subframe connectors within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; more importantly ..hows it feel now???...

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

more importantly ..hows it feel now???

Red
    98 Trans Am

Did you install it with the car on a drive on lift or a frame lift? Depending on your car and how it has been driven, the car may have already been suffering from body twist.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

all we had was a jack and some ramps. the car was too low to drive up onto the ramps so we jacked it up and slid them under. we thought maybe one side was higher than the other and causing the body to twist, so we tried jacking one side up higher than the other correct it, which didn't work. my car doesn't have any body dimples and only has 50,000 miles on it, so the body shouldn't be too twisted. and the problem did occur on both sides. but, we did get them on and the car drives alot better. you can really feel the difference going up or down a driveway. the car accelerates alot better to, ever little tap of the pedal can be felt more. it feels like a much more expensive car now. : D

black
    '99 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua.Grooms View Post
    Did you install it with the car on a drive on lift or a frame lift? Depending on your car and how it has been driven, the car may have already been suffering from body twist.

this is what is keeping me from getting SFC, ive driven my car hard for 140,000 miles, and im pretty sure im already flexed,

my question is how do i compensate for the flex that is already in the frame before i weld on the SFC?

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

Remember, that all the vehicles weight needs to be on the suspension. A frame lift can and will cause the vehicle to flex, thus making the holes misaligned. A quick way to do it, is to use old rims under the tires. I just put my jack stands under the suspension and still had to drill out a couple of holes because of the existing twist. Even my friends one owner 02 SS that he ordered with SLP installed SFC's and 20,000 miles has a dimple starting, and also my other friends 00 WS6 with 15,000 miles has also started. It's the nature of the beast. As far as the turbo piping, I'm not sure. I am a procharger person so I've never had to worry about it.
    The only way to correct any twisting of the body will be to put it on a body shop frame rack. Most body shops probably won't do it. Also there are very few people who are good enough to correct it, or that I trust with my car. I would still put them in and atleast get it stopped now before it affects your door, and hatch gaps, and opening and closing.
    Last edited by Frozen WS6; 12-27-2006 at 08:09 PM.

black
    '99 T/A

how do i compensate for the flex that is already in the frame before i weld on the SFC?

RED, BLACK
    2001 WS6, 1998 TA

You will have to have a bodyshop put it on a frame rack and pull it. They won't ever be able to get it back to original spec. Unfortuneately it will probably end up making it worse. At least thats my experiance after 5 years at a bodyshop. I would just weld them in as is, if it were mine. Thats what I had to do on my 74 camaro also, and my 01 WS6 had 50,000 miles and 2 previous owners before I got it and put 10,000 miles before I was able to put them on. My 01 already had the dimples on the quarters when I installed my SFCs. So I know mine has some twist already in it also. I only had to slot two bolt holes and well worth it.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information