Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Subframe connector question

This is a discussion on Subframe connector question within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Na no pics it's been a bit from now on. I'll start taking pics haha...

FASTER THNA SPEEDINtICKEt BANDITO's Avatar

White
    2002 trans-am

Na no pics it's been a bit from now on. I'll start taking pics haha

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by TRANS-DAD View Post
    HaHaHa!!!!!............YOU MITE BE A REDNECK IF.......................lmao!!!!! J/K!! J/K!!!

black
    1999 camaro SS

I put ramps under the back wheels and put stands underneath the lower a arms. it scratched the he'll out of them but right after I was done with the SFC I put in new A arms

silver
    1996 Trans AM WS6

i just went out and bought a 2nd set of ramps. worked great for me

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by krese View Post
    i just went out and bought a 2nd set of ramps. worked great for me
    I recently went out and bought another pair too

Bright Red
    2000 TA Firehawk 0041/742

Two sets of jack stands- one set under front control arms, one pair under the rear axle. That's all you need to do.

Just put the UMI 3-point bolt-in SFCs under my bird. 2-points are good, but if you have t-tops, the 3's are the way to go. Got them from Mark at KYSpeed.com- shipped fast. They look great and match the red on all my components from MidWest Chassis. The smooth tubes look slick.

After you get them on the jackstands, remove the center brace and pull the bolt from one side's LCA and set the SFC up against the bottom of the car, and hold it up by sliding the bolt through the LCA hold. Put the threaded piece of metal in the front subframe and hand tighten the bolts. Install the the second side the same way. After you get all six bolts hand tight, set the center brace back up and run the four bolts in. Torque everything down and then take the car off the jackstands. Literally took less than 20 minutes to install.
    2000 Pontiac Firehawk #0041 of 742

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by bberretta View Post
    Two sets of jack stands- one set under front control arms, one pair under the rear axle. That's all you need to do.

Just put the UMI 3-point bolt-in SFCs under my bird. 2-points are good, but if you have t-tops, the 3's are the way to go. Got them from Mark at KYSpeed.com- shipped fast. They look great and match the red on all my components from MidWest Chassis. The smooth tubes look slick.

After you get them on the jackstands, remove the center brace and pull the bolt from one side's LCA and set the SFC up against the bottom of the car, and hold it up by sliding the bolt through the LCA hold. Put the threaded piece of metal in the front subframe and hand tighten the bolts. Install the the second side the same way. After you get all six bolts hand tight, set the center brace back up and run the four bolts in. Torque everything down and then take the car off the jackstands. Literally took less than 20 minutes to install.
    sounds perfect! now watch out for big speed bumps and steep driveways because they're tearing the shit out of my pretty 3 points. it's one of the main reasons I went with 19" wheels all the way around, so I could keep the lowered stance on the wheels but pick the thing up off the ground a little.
    (umi) k-mbr (w/ poly mounts), upper non adj. A arms, lower adj. A arms, front sway bar, 3 point SFC, TA relo (w/ poly mount), TA, drag bar.

(bmr) tunnel brace, adj. rod end LCA , adj. rod end PHB, sportlines w/ hose mod, bilsteins

19x12,19x10 spyders 335/30 275/35 NTO5's

Bright Red

Quote Originally Posted by xmarkx View Post
    sounds perfect! now watch out for big speed bumps and steep driveways because they're tearing the shit out of my pretty 3 points. it's one of the main reasons I went with 19" wheels all the way around, so I could keep the lowered stance on the wheels but pick the thing up off the ground a little.
    That's my eventual plan- for now I'll be taking it slow over and avoiding speedbumps! Did you lower yours at all or is it stock height with the 19"s?

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

I recently went out and bought another pair too
    May be a stupid question, but how do you get it up on two sets of ramps? Maybe my ramps are just too damn big, but I cant even get them under the front end of the car, let alone the middle of it. . I have a set of 2pnts I've been waiting to put on, and recently just picked up my ramps (1 set) and jackstands from my old house
    Last edited by nichoLaS1; 10-19-2010 at 12:17 PM.

Bright Red

I wondered the same thing! Getting them on two sets of jackstands is easy- you put the jack under the subframe on the side and just lift one side at a time.

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

Where's a safe place to put them under the A-arms.. unfort. i only have one set of jackstands and one set of ramps.. I'm probably going to end up backing the car onto the ramps and putting the stands under the front. thus far, i've only had jackstands under the rear axle so I'm not sure of the best place to put em up front

2002 Camaro

I think it would be easier to drive the front onto the ramps and then jack up the rear and put the jack stands under the axle. When driving the front onto the ramps, you might want to get a couple sections of 2x12 boards to drive the rears onto to give a little extra clearance. It will make sliding a jack under it easier. (with the front on ramps the rear will be hanging down low and hard to fit a jack underneath it, hence the use of a couple sections of boards)

Quote Originally Posted by nichoLaS1 View Post
    Where's a safe place to put them under the A-arms.. unfort. i only have one set of jackstands and one set of ramps.. I'm probably going to end up backing the car onto the ramps and putting the stands under the front. thus far, i've only had jackstands under the rear axle so I'm not sure of the best place to put em up front

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Bramlok View Post
    I think it would be easier to drive the front onto the ramps and then jack up the rear and put the jack stands under the axle. When driving the front onto the ramps, you might want to get a couple sections of 2x12 boards to drive the rears onto to give a little extra clearance. It will make sliding a jack under it easier. (with the front on ramps the rear will be hanging down low and hard to fit a jack underneath it, hence the use of a couple sections of boards)
    Unfortunately my ramps wont fit under the front. They're too steep. Guess i'm gonna have to get different ramps or come up with some different solution

Bright Red

I've never trusted ramps- my buddy's 5.0 rolled off and the only thing that stopped it was my car's front bumper. He had Supertrapps sticking out the rear that literally hung onto the front of my car. I was a dumbass for parking behind him, he was a dumbass and forgot that little thing called an emergency brake. Of course, we were like 17 or 18- prime age for dumbassedness...

To put a load on the front, put the jackstands under the control arms and lower down. For the rear, put the jackstands under the axle tubes. This is how mine has been sitting for two months in my garage while I waited for the MWC rear and it hasn't fallen yet.

black
    1999 camaro SS

to get wheel ramps under the front wheels, Jack the car under the middle of the k member.

to get wheel ramps under the rear wheels, Jack the car up under the middle of the rear end.

my car is lowered on sportlines w/ hose mod in the rear, AKA it's slammed lol

black
    1999 camaro SS

i used to put the Jack stands under the swar bar bushings (in the rear) but now that I have greasable poly bushings the nipple on the bushings prevents me from putting the stands there so I use wheel ramps now

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

to get wheel ramps under the front wheels, Jack the car under the middle of the k member.

to get wheel ramps under the rear wheels, Jack the car up under the middle of the rear end.

my car is lowered on sportlines w/ hose mod in the rear, AKA it's slammed lol
    Is anywhere in the middle of the k memeber safe to put a jack, or is there a specific stronger region?

black
    1999 camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by nichoLaS1 View Post
    Is anywhere in the middle of the k memeber safe to put a jack, or is there a specific stronger region?

Click for full size
    anywhere close to the center is fine. the stock k members are a really strong SOLID piece. the only reason people upgrade k members to aftermarket versions is for the weight savings. it's been argued before that the stock GM k members are stronger pieces than aftermarket tubular versions

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information