Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sub-Frame Connectors

This is a discussion on Sub-Frame Connectors within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Yeah he should! Some LTs on there would give a nice boost in hp! I'm surprised that he has close ...

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Yeah he should! Some LTs on there would give a nice boost in hp! I'm surprised that he has close to 400hp with just those mods though...not disbelieving it, just wouldn't have thought so....

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Quote Originally Posted by jujofields View Post
    Yeah he should! Some LTs on there would give a nice boost in hp! I'm surprised that he has close to 400hp with just those mods though...not disbelieving it, just wouldn't have thought so....
    Yea thats what he said too, Me personally I believe his tuner is shit and I have heard that from a few people around our state and I wouldn't go to him. I thought with good cam you can gain from 35 to 60 hp and with heads 25-35 depending on what you buy ar have done to them. So either his tune sucks or he got ripped off by porting stock heads, personally I would have gone Lt's first mod after SLP intake ram air system and then gone heads and cam to utilize the more air flow and quicker exshaust distrubution... But he is a stuburn dude so I will laugh at him and my kid reputation with my 540 hp coming from my 408 so o well... But I think you will have better numbers than him, you are closer to sea level and I would bet your tuner is better
    99 Camaro Z28-
    Colorado's Slowest 408 with a 150 shot
    95 Camaro Z28 LT1-
    LT4 Hot Cam Kit, Fuddle 3,800 Stall
    http://www.fquick.com/99Ls1fever

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Quote Originally Posted by midi_2001 View Post
    Interesting. Anticipated RWHP was higher than that without ported heads. (See the dyno @ TR). Was that an F-body and approx. what year?
    Moser 9 and 4.38 gears will kill dyno numbers...

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Quote Originally Posted by splitfinger09 View Post
    Moser 9 and 4.38 gears will kill dyno numbers...
    Yea, thats what I have heard too

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Like the transformor's avaitor too Nice..!

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Anyways about this topic I meet up with my buddy lastnight and I told him there is a bunch of guys on LS1.COM that tell me they would go bolt on sub frame connectors for there cars. His response " why? they must not be real car guys." just letting people know that us track junkies confurmed weld on's are the only way to go...

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever View Post
    Yea, thats what I have heard too
    Don't be sad haha...it will still run the same. Plus when you hook up and lift your front wheels your rear is not going to explode like the guy in the other lane with his stock 10 bolt.

Bright Rally Red
    2000 Camaro SS #5075 M6

Like the transformor's avaitor too Nice..!
    Camaro and a beautiful women...doesn't get any better..

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

No Shit Preach brother preach!!!

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

Anyways about this topic I meet up with my buddy lastnight and I told him there is a bunch of guys on LS1.COM that tell me they would go bolt on sub frame connectors for there cars. His response " why? they must not be real car guys." just letting people know that us track junkies confurmed weld on's are the only way to go...
    Some people want the choice. After you weld em' on, that's it, they ain't coming off. Imagine if you live on back roads like me that are made of balast. If you start dragging it everywhere you go, then you might as well take em off.

I purchased bolt-on 3 point UMI's because I wasn't sure if my HPM tunnel mounted torque arm would fit. It was more practical to bolt em on and make sure everything fit. And you know what, you can weld em if you want. Yeah, I am gonna weld em on, but it is not necessary.

Being a track junkie and a car guy are two different things. Weld ins are best for what you use it for, but to a guy that runs into the ocassional twisties, bolt ins are just fine.

Black
    1999 Trans Am FIREHAWK

Hey guys I was thinking of buying SFC`s for my car and was wondering which to buy UMI or SLP`s ? I have a Firehawk & would really like to keep all of my bolton`s to SLP products since it is a Hawk . But I was wondering wich is easier to install will less modification`s & I`ve heard SLP`s require some trimming of the exhaust shield is there anthing else ? Also How well made are the SLP`s ?

WS9 + Y82 = Trans Am 6speedTAthistime's Avatar

Silver
    02 Trans am

After reading all the nonsense on the first 4 pages, i realized i wasted about 20 minutes of my life and i more or less confused my self.

From my experiences and common sense, it tells me that if you have a bolt in SFC, over time all the moving and twisting and turning puts added stress on all the bolt and such. You will round out any holes that the bolts are in and you could possibly ruin your frame. Yes this would be a sever case, but yet possible nontheless. If you have proof otherwise please show me. I would gladly purchase bolt on sfc rather than weldons anyday. But i'd rather spend the extra time and weld them on rather than running the risk of ruining the frame.

With that said. Does anyone have instructions or pictures of welding on the SFC, i think that would be beneficial to some of the members looking at this post. (it would make it worth their time)

The Baddest Astro Driver FreeBird89's Avatar

Fadeing Grey
    1994 Chevy Astro Van

Do SFC get in the way of any possible work underneath the car. Exhuast system, etc.?

White
    2001 Z28

I sell both SLP and UMI. I can tell you I much prefer the UMI's both on cost, but also on fit and finish.

I recommend bolt-in's for anyone not sure about them, they cost very little more, and anyone can install them. And you can always weld them in later, making them just like a weld-in.

I'm one who does not believe that every person, every car needs SFC's. If you want them, or feel you need them they are NOT BAD THINGS to add, even if it's just for piece of mind. Again, spoke to a man today... has run with and without them, can't tell a difference (and this is with one of our handling packs installed and the car is tracked and autoxed all the time + street driven in CO). That said, I strongly feel that if you are going to add SFC's for whatever reason, then go with the stiffest ones, which means 3-points. Again, welding ultimately is stronger, but you can weld in bolt in connectors down the road, and bolt-ins are easier for anyone who can't weld to handle.

So, my recommendation for the aforementioned reasons, tends to be these: http://www.stranoparts.com/partdetai...D=22&ModelID=7

Click for full size

But we also have all the rest and you can see those here: http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...D=22&ModelID=7

And no, they don't get in the way of working on other parts under the car,
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

black
    1999 Camaro SS

aaa i dont know much about sfc but couldnt i weld in my bolt ons ??????

White
    2001 Z28

Yeah, that's what I just said. "but you can weld in bolt in connectors down the road".

black
    1999 Camaro SS

o i skiped this page didnt read it thanx

Black on Black
    2001 ~ T/A ~ WS6 ~ M6

Something that makes the difference...and I don't give a shit what anyone says...my WS6 has 3000 original miles on the ENTIRE vehicle. Yeah, sure, I'm doing what I consider upgrades BUT...'everything' I do IS.....100% reversable; vehicle back to original, factory state. Meaning, with the exception of ONE cut in the original exhaust, this vehicle can be...once again FACTORY originial. I've saved every single original part and the only alteration was one slice in the exhaust.

Bolt-ons rock...more to follow.

pewter
    1999 camaro ss #4288

here are a quick photos of UMI SFCs i bought from sam. i went the bolt-on route so they can be removed down the road if i want to, but i may also weld them in instead. and oh. my. gawd. did they really improve the handling of the camaro. they plus tuck up nicely.

The Slow and the Broke ImportIntimidator's Avatar

Black
    2002 Trans Am

Bolt ons are a good way to go as a first step in your master modding plan. Bolt em on and bang some corners, then when your grand scheme of mods is done (haha as if it's ever done, but you get where I'm going) weld em in, best of both world in my opinion, but with all the fighting aside I think there have been some decent points made...as with everything don't listen to the bitching and just go with what you want. It's your baby anyway

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information