Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sub-Frame Connectors

This is a discussion on Sub-Frame Connectors within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; I sell UMI. They range from $149 (2 point weld-ins) to $299 (3 point bolt ins). http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...D=22&ModelID=7...

White
    2001 Z28

I sell UMI. They range from $149 (2 point weld-ins) to $299 (3 point bolt ins). http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...D=22&ModelID=7
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Silver+Black/Black+Silver
    1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

yep go with the 2 point umi weld ins

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

what do u have?
    99 Camaro Z28-
    Colorado's Slowest 408 with a 150 shot
    95 Camaro Z28 LT1-
    LT4 Hot Cam Kit, Fuddle 3,800 Stall
    http://www.fquick.com/99Ls1fever

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

so how does the car feel?? what numbers you lookin at?

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Car feels a lot differant and the engine is crazy from the stock bolt on's engine... I am going to have fun at the drag strip this summer I have a feeling

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

haha yeah no doubt man... sounds like fun. I'll catch up with you eventually! lol

Black on Black
    2001 ~ T/A ~ WS6 ~ M6

I installed the UMI bolt-ons over the winter and all I can tell you at this point is, no rocket science here. Very simplistic installation. That's about all the input I can give. After the snow stops falling here in MI, I'll have the opportunity to give them a workout. I have no intensions of welding. If issues occur I won't hesitate to reply.

1999 TA M6/03 GSXR 600

I say just get em welded and have it done with.. There's no way bolt ins could be better than the weld ins.. except you could take em off if you wanted, but no reason to do that!!

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Fully agreed, welds are stronger and bolt ins are just not the same...

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Quote Originally Posted by M-Ten View Post
    haha yeah no doubt man... sounds like fun. I'll catch up with you eventually! lol
    Yea for sure I hope to meet up with you some day too, it would be tight rollin together..ha ha maybe if the hot rod power goes your way I 'll be out there then

Black on Black
    2001 ~ T/A ~ WS6 ~ M6

Quote Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever View Post
    Fully agreed, welds are stronger and bolt ins are just not the same...
    Have you guys honestly compared apples to apples? Side by side comparison? Bolt-on vs. weld-on? Probably not. Does one perform better than the other? Probably not. Will the bolt-ons fail prematurely under average street racing conditions? Probably not. (I’ve spent a lot of time investigating that one…no one has reported failure with both-ons; unless a brainless child did the install.) What’s the ‘ULTIMATE’ way to go? I’d have to agree with weld-ons (IF-done-properly). I’ve been in the non-automotive mechanical field for 30ish years and yes the weld-ons make logical sense. Is it absolutely necessary to weld? Probably not...

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Quote Originally Posted by midi_2001 View Post
    Have you guys honestly compared apples to apples? Side by side comparison? Bolt-on vs. weld-on? Probably not. Does one perform better than the other? Probably not. Will the bolt-ons fail prematurely under average street racing conditions? Probably not. (I’ve spent a lot of time investigating that one…no one has reported failure with both-ons; unless a brainless child did the install.) What’s the ‘ULTIMATE’ way to go? I’d have to agree with weld-ons (IF-done-properly). I’ve been in the non-automotive mechanical field for 30ish years and yes the weld-ons make logical sense. Is it absolutely necessary to weld? Probably not...
    Probably yes would be the awnser I work on cars for a living in the summer and for a hobby thats why I didn't mess with the cheap o's and bought SLP weld on's and if you take your "bolt on's and compare them to the SLP weld on's and tell me they are equal I will roll over and laugh so hard I tinkle a little...Wow, good thing we have rich people on the website to enlighten us on the crap they read.....People like this make us all dumber

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Yea your right they look totally the same minus the box steel tubing and the cheap small tubes you call strength... Come on stop reading the ads in your favorite magazine....
    Lets throw those "bolt on's on my camaro with a 408 and 540hp and a moser 9 inch and see how much we can twist them and break them....lmao

Black on Black
    2001 ~ T/A ~ WS6 ~ M6

Probably yes would be the awnser I work on cars for a living in the summer and for a hobby thats why I didn't mess with the cheap o's and bought SLP weld on's and if you take your "bolt on's and compare them to the SLP weld on's and tell me they are equal I will roll over and laugh so hard I tinkle a little...Wow, good thing we have rich people on the website to enlighten us on the crap they read.....People like this make us all dumber
    OK, you're the ... here. Dude, I'm talking 'possible' fact, fact, and experience and you took this as an opportunity to spew smack unconsciously with what few brain cells you have. OK. Let me sort through this nonsense...you have a part time job changing oil, and some sort of Matchbox hobby. Next, SLP is so SOOOOO over priced and SOOOO over rated anyone and everyone can tell you, you got rapped. And lastly...men don't...um...how does that go? Tinkle? Dude, you've got issues. OMG...you're embarrassing to LS1.com. (Do you sit when you pee?)

((Sorry ADMIN, he started it!))

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

I'd say either UMI or SLP subframe connectors. IMO no matter the brand, you should get the 3-point instead of the 2-point. The 2-points connect the front & rear together, whereas the 3-points not only connect the front & rear together but also from side to side. In regards to bolt-ons or weld-ins, each have advantage & disadvantages: the bolt-ons can easily be removed if you are doing underbody work & can be taken off at any point if you sell your car...then you have SFCs to sell for some extra cash. However, they aren't quite as sturdy as the weld-ins (when comparing the same brand & product). The weld-ins offer a more sturdy application, but cannot be easily removed should you ever decide to take them off. ......to sum up the advantages vs. disadvantages of putting on SFCs, the main advantages are strengthening the body, increasing cornering capabilities, reducing chassis flex, rattles, t-top leaks, & internal squeaks. The only disadvantage I can think of is the additional weight added to the vehicle (some variance in weight between brands & products, but roughly 40lbs).

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Quote Originally Posted by midi_2001 View Post
    OK, you're the ... here. Dude, I'm talking 'possible' fact, fact, and experience and you took this as an opportunity to spew smack unconsciously with what few brain cells you have. OK. Let me sort through this nonsense...you have a part time job changing oil, and some sort of Matchbox hobby. Next, SLP is so SOOOOO over priced and SOOOO over rated anyone and everyone can tell you, you got rapped. And lastly...men don't...um...how does that go? Tinkle? Dude, you've got issues. OMG...you're embarrassing to LS1.com. (Do you sit when you pee?)

((Sorry ADMIN, he started it!))
    Ha Ha Ha, I am a school teacher who has a master degree.. Doubt your edge a macatio went that far...lmao
    Slp is over rated enough to get the contract on FROM GENERAL MOTORS ON THE "SS" dump ass wake up when did umi get any contract...lol
    how is the mid life crisis going...

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Yea your right they look totally the same minus the box steel tubing and the cheap small tubes you call strength... Come on stop reading the ads in your favorite magazine....
    Lets throw those "bolt on's on my camaro with a 408 and 540hp and a moser 9 inch and see how much we can twist them and break them....lmao

Uhh...you do realize that many bolt-on's contain box steel tubing, right? Hell, you're an SLP fan so you should realize that the 3-point SLP weld-ins come in a bolt-on version as well...

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

Quote Originally Posted by jujofields View Post
    Uhh...you do realize that many bolt-on's contain box steel tubing, right? Hell, you're an SLP fan so you should realize that the 3-point SLP weld-ins come in a bolt-on version as well...
    But those umi's aren't box... I know they come in bolt on, differance between the two companys are boxed and tubes that are quarter of the size of boxed I have seen them both and know people with both including myself. Boxed are for strength and the umi's are the people who daily drive and want to tell people they have sub frame connectors... before the 80's most subframe connectors where all weld in...

Artic White
    1999 Z28 408 Stroker M6

The funny part is the modarators are probabley laughing at your statement now, I guarentee a real car guy would never put bolt on sub frame connectors on his car.... girly

OOOO and the funny part is I'm suppose to be some guy or kid... Look at the avaitor, that Scott Settlemeyer yea you probabley have no idea who that is, he is the HEAD OF GENERAL MOTORS CAMARO DIVISION AND FOUNDER OF THE F BODY AND THE 2002 SS IS NAMED AFTER HIM. So yea that's who I chill with and got voted top car by... Keep wishing...
    Last edited by 99Ls1fever; 03-28-2008 at 08:08 PM.

Black on Black
    2001 ~ T/A ~ WS6 ~ M6

The funny part is the modarators are probabley laughing at your statement now, I guarentee a real car guy would never put bolt on sub frame connectors on his car.... girly
    Um...school teacher dude,
    Your obscured intellect, lacking unambiguous familiarity in relevance to unequivocal specificity of the...
    ...ah forget it…you’re probably lost again. (Just kidding.)

Doesn't matter dude! Let it GO! You're probably a good school teacher! I accept that! Leave it at that! I'm not out to make enemies...just friends! I voiced my opinion, that's all! Don't take it personally! (Care for a hug?)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information