Sub frame connectors

This is a discussion on Sub frame connectors within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Looking at getting UMI Subframe connectors (bolt-in). Is the single tubular (2 point)connector good enough, or should I go for ...

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

Sub frame connectors

Looking at getting UMI Subframe connectors (bolt-in). Is the single tubular (2 point)connector good enough, or should I go for the 3-point connectors? I've heard great things about both, I just want to justify the price difference of the 3 pnt connectors.. Car is an '01 ws6, m6. I plan on getting LT headers relatively soon, and heard that some SFC interfere with them, not sure how true this is..
    Last edited by nichoLaS1; 09-12-2010 at 04:55 PM.

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

sorry for not posting in the suspension threads

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

i have SLP 3 point bolt ons.....GREATEST MOD EVER.

any SFC is worth getting. although i would prefer a 3-point

as far as the brand you are looking at i have not heard any bad reviews with UMI but i also have not used any UMI myself.

neweraperformanceparts.com one of our sponsors have the SLP 3 point bolt on for sale on there site you should check it out!

silver
    2000 formula

2 point........3 point........what ever you can afford........its a must have

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Get the 3 point UMI bolt-ins.

Bolt-ins can be welded in later if you want and are an easy install for beginners.

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

Quote Originally Posted by sjsingle1 View Post
    2 point........3 point........what ever you can afford........its a must have
    price really isnt the issue. If if gonna do it, I'll save a little extra and do it right the first time if 3 pnt is the way to go. I'm mainly just worried that if I were to get LT headers and/or dual exhaust later on, there wouldnt be any fitment issues. I'd hate to get the 3pnt and have to take them off and replace w/ 2 pnt if I couldnt run the exhaust. I just dont know too much about the specific layout of the chassis/underbody

silver
    2000 formula

a SFC does not interfere with the exhaust.....but a exhaust may interfere with the middle crossmember

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

A have the 3-point UMI's and they have no problems interfering with the headers, however, if you have a drive shaft safety loop you'll have issues clearing an x-pipe. I just ran my headers with true duals, had my exhaust shop do custom pipe bends, and then dump the exhaust at the axle. Very happy with the 3-points.

Like mentioned our 3-Point SFC's will not interfer with any exhaust system, we haven't found a system that won't clear them.

We designed our 3-Point SFC's to tuck against the floor of the vehicle as tight as possible and prevent ground clearance loss. We accomplished this by bending our bracing tubes to follow the contour of the vehicles floor. Below is an example picture of how we bent the tubes to follow the floor of the car, rather then just running straight tubing and reducing ground clearance.

If you have any questions I will be glad to help. Thanks!
    Ryan

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

Quote Originally Posted by UMI Performance View Post
    Like mentioned our 3-Point SFC's will not interfer with any exhaust system, we haven't found a system that won't clear them.

We designed our 3-Point SFC's to tuck against the floor of the vehicle as tight as possible and prevent ground clearance loss. We accomplished this by bending our bracing tubes to follow the contour of the vehicles floor. Below is an example picture of how we bent the tubes to follow the floor of the car, rather then just running straight tubing and reducing ground clearance.

If you have any questions I will be glad to help. Thanks!
    Ryan

Click for full size
    Looks good, thanks for the help. So i'm assuming the 2pnt is nearly invisible when viewed from the side of the car (i.e no ground clearance lost at all) since the rail is tucked up. Even so, it still looks like the 3pnt wouldnt hang down that much.
    So basically, I guess what I'm getting at, is has anyone had any bottoming out issues with the 3pnt?

Quote Originally Posted by nichoLaS1 View Post
    Looks good, thanks for the help. So i'm assuming the 2pnt is nearly invisible when viewed from the side of the car (i.e no ground clearance lost at all) since the rail is tucked up. Even so, it still looks like the 3pnt wouldnt hang down that much.
    So basically, I guess what I'm getting at, is has anyone had any bottoming out issues with the 3pnt?
    Yes exactly, the 2-point tubular design would be invisible from the side and tuck up extremely tight. The pictures below show the 3-Point SFC's from the side... take a look. The exhaust hangs lower on this vehicle.

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

Yes exactly, the 2-point tubular design would be invisible from the side and tuck up extremely tight. The pictures below show the 3-Point SFC's from the side... take a look. The exhaust hangs lower on this vehicle.

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Looks great. You guys will definitely be hearing from me soon. Once I get payment issues with the car squared away, this will def be my first mod I do. Thanks for the quick responses and good pics.

the only thing I'm still wondering about though is the benefits over just the 2 point connectors. I know adding lateral stiffness to any car always helps, but is it worth it, or do the 2 point connectors suffice?
    Last edited by nichoLaS1; 09-13-2010 at 07:35 AM.

Looks great. You guys will definitely be hearing from me soon. Once I get payment issues with the car squared away, this will def be my first mod I do. Thanks for the quick responses and good pics
    Always glad to help

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

the only thing I'm still wondering about though is the benefits over just the 2 point connectors. I know adding lateral stiffness to any car always helps, but is it worth it, or do the 2 point connectors suffice?
    Anyone w/ personal experience?
    Ryan (UMI) Wou guys have any performance # like lateral g's, torsional stifness etc?
    Last edited by nichoLaS1; 09-13-2010 at 09:05 AM.

black
    1999 camaro SS

I have big time ground clearance issues with the 3 points! every speed bum and drive way scrapes the hell out of them. don't get me wrong, they are great quality pieces that do the job amazingly but if your car is lowered you will have ground cleance issues. I have sportline springs so that is why I'm having problems. I recently bought bigger wheels and am hoping that upon instalatiom of the new wheels that my ground clearance will improve

Anyone w/ personal experience?
    Ryan (UMI) Wou guys have any performance # like lateral g's, torsional stifness etc?
    We do lateral G testing on products but we haven't on SFC's.

3-Point SFC's are overkill for most applications and the 2-Points would be just fine. Unless the car is running a short tunnel mounted torque or pushing high HP #'s the2-points connectors will work great.

Hope that helps,
    Ryan

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

We do lateral G testing on products but we haven't on SFC's.

3-Point SFC's are overkill for most applications and the 2-Points would be just fine. Unless the car is running a short tunnel mounted torque or pushing high HP #'s the2-points connectors will work great.

Hope that helps,
    Ryan
    Thanks for the honesty.. Well i think between this post and xmarkx's post, i'll be doin the 2 point. I do plan on lowering the car eventually, so I dont want to be scratching up some beautiful red SFCs. Thanks again for all your help, and I look forward to doin business with you guys.

-nick

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

well.. about to order a set of UMI tubular 2pnt SFC's (bolt-in). There's just something exciting about ordering parts for a car I don't even own yet lol. I plan to drive the car for a week or 2 and then throw them on to verify the result for myself. Will be posting many pics soon
    Last edited by nichoLaS1; 09-13-2010 at 07:23 PM.

Sunset Orange
    '01 SOM ws6

order complete!! thanks for all the help guys. Ryan thanks for the pictures and advice. I look forward to putting these on (oh yeah and actually getting the car tomorrow)

Glad to help Nick and thanks for the order.

Please post up the results and fitment once you install them.

Ryan

Thread Information