Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Strut Tower Brace for Convertible

This is a discussion on Strut Tower Brace for Convertible within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; So, the DSL is not coupe/convertible specific, then? The SFCs are different for convertibles, which is why I ask. I ...

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

So, the DSL is not coupe/convertible specific, then? The SFCs are different for convertibles, which is why I ask. I don't see a convertible specific option on the UMI site, but... you can't be too careful when modding your car

Med. Green Metallic
    1998 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Now I would recommend getting a Tunnel Brace with DSL before the TSB for a vert
    What about before SFCs, would you get a tunnel brace w/loop before those as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    So, the DSL is not coupe/convertible specific, then? The SFCs are different for convertibles, which is why I ask. I don't see a convertible specific option on the UMI site, but...
    I'm also wary of the lack of a vert option.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

Quote Originally Posted by MeanGreen98 View Post
    What about before SFCs, would you get a tunnel brace w/loop before those as well?

I'm also wary of the lack of a vert option.

I would based on what I know now go in the following order.

SFCs, Tunnel Brace W/DL, LCAs, PH Bar, Torque Arm Adjustable with relocation kit, Sway Bars front and Rear. Then do all at the same time K-Member and A arms, Springs and Struts/Shocks to finish the front off. Then I would throw in the TSB just to tie it all in.

Now for full disclosure, 1st thing I did was SFCs and TSB, I got a good deal when I got both. I been doing what I can afford at the time or need to repair. In Dec I had to replace my front Struts and Springs because my struts were leaking and I saw that my springs were starting to sag. I got Hotchkins 1" Lower Springs and after they were installed the car stance overall was the same height, but the one spring that look like it was sagging it had raised it 1 inch.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by MeanGreen98 View Post
    Most people on here will tell you that SFCs is the first mod you should do period, so I would imagine that the DSL would come after that.

I been doing what I can afford at the time or need to repair.
    Here, here!!

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    I would as well, Get rid of all that stamped metal!

I think there only ~100 from UMI

Like this:http://www.umiperformance.com/catalo...roducts_id=311
    Looking into it, UMI does not seem to offer a DSL that will clear the factory exhaust system. I'm still on stock Y-pipe and headers, which UMI claims are incompatible with this part... Jegs has some that will fit stock exhaust, though.
    Last edited by Naaman; 03-09-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

If you change your factory exhaust you must change your tunnel brace FYI, I really can't imagine any aftermarket Y's fitting. That said I started with the 3 pt stb (not important) then I bought a tunnel brace with my exhaust, didn't work so I was forced to run without it. Just got sfc's, I will probably pick up LCA's before the tunnel brace, then the panhard... Followed by whatever else

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Yeah, I know... But considering the cost of headers/y-pipe, I may never actually get any. At any rate, I'll probably be using my factory exhaust for a while...

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird0230 View Post
    If you change your factory exhaust you must change your tunnel brace FYI, I really can't imagine any aftermarket Y's fitting. That said I started with the 3 pt stb (not important) then I bought a tunnel brace with my exhaust, didn't work so I was forced to run without it. Just got sfc's, I will probably pick up LCA's before the tunnel brace, then the panhard... Followed by whatever else
    For Naaman the Tunnel brace is more critical because he has a 'vert. T-Top and full top cars it is not needed as much. "Verts always have needed more support.

Navy Blue Metallic

Yeah, I know... But considering the cost of headers/y-pipe, I may never actually get any. At any rate, I'll probably be using my factory exhaust for a while...
    UMI has TB that are designed to work with most headers.

Black
    2002 Trans am WS6 pkg

UMI has TB that are designed to work with most headers.
    That's what I'll be getting... My Spohn didn't work. Nice quality not raggin but my Texas speed y didn't want to be friendly

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Looking into it, UMI does not seem to offer a DSL that will clear the factory exhaust system. I'm still on stock Y-pipe and headers, which UMI claims are incompatible with this part... Jegs has some that will fit stock exhaust, though.
    Your stock exhaust should go right over the tunnel brace, unless it's different for verts. They make a lower sitting brace for longtube headers, but you can get ahold of Ryan at UMI and he can answer any doubts you have.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I know it's the stock tunnel brace (mine hasn't been put on yet), but it fits similarly, just boxed metal instead of stamped crap.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Been researching and I think my next chassis mod will be a tunnel brace and a torque arm to hook up to it. When I look under the car, it appears to be a very quick install, but when I had my diff seal replaced(the one between the drive shaft and the gears), it was a 2-hour+ job at the performance shop.

Is installing a DSL a beginner-friendly procedure?

The things I've done so far include:

Throttle Body swap
    Air Lid Swap
    Fuel Filter replace
    Sub Frame Connectors
    And I change my own oil

How will installing a tunnel brace and torque arm compare?

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Thumbs up

Yes I have one, do i think it helps, maybe, can it hurt, no.

What else would I do on a vert to stiffen:
    Subframe connectors (a must!)
    aftermarket tunnel brace, vert stock is crap!

PS-BBK makes longtube headers w/y pipe for around $379 chrome or $499 coated for both! (My next mod)
    Last edited by 99'CajunFirehawk157; 06-06-2011 at 10:03 AM.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by 99'CajunFirehawk157 View Post
    Yes I have one, do i think it helps, maybe, can it hurt, no.
    Click for full size

What else would I do on a vert to stiffen:
    Subframe connectors (a must!)
    aftermarket tunnel brace, vert stock is crap!

PS-BBK makes longtube headers w/y pipe for around $379 chrome or $499 coated for both! (My next mod)
    Yup, BBK is probably where I'll get my headers and mid pipe at, but I might go with shorties since I don't want to deal with ground clearance issues... practicality is requirement for me.

A tunnel brace and torque-arm combo is what I'm researching now, but since the TSB is so cheap and easy to install, if it helps at all, it's worth-while.

Bright Red
    99 Firehawk #157 Roadster

Yup, BBK is probably where I'll get my headers and mid pipe at, but I might go with shorties since I don't want to deal with ground clearance issues... practicality is requirement for me.

A tunnel brace and torque-arm combo is what I'm researching now, but since the TSB is so cheap and easy to install, if it helps at all, it's worth-while.
    From what I hear shorties are about as good as stock manifolds, and if you do some research on the other ls forum, you will find some specific BBK header threads showing pics of ground clearance which looks real good. FWIW.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Naaman asked about a tunnel brace and a torque arm to hook up to it.

The reply was a picture of a strut tower brace, which is totally different.

Naaman, are you asking about a strut tower brace or a torque arm with a relocation kit off the tailshaft of the transmission?

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

The thread is just kinda straying off into some tangents, I think. I was trying to get at mods that could help improve the rigidity of the car and reduce flexing. SMWS6TA said that a tunnel brace would be more effective than a strut brace.

On another thread, I think it was you who said that a torque arm was related to a tunnel brace and clarified how it works. Now, I think we're just going back and forth between the original question and the other developments of the discussion.

My original question was indeed about whether a strut tower brace would have a more meaningful effect on a convertible, due to the greater flex inherent in convertibles.

It's now also been suggested that a tunnel brace would be even more helpful than a strut tower brace.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Gotcha. The general consensus on here is that the STB doesn't really do anything, even on verts. It is probably all personal opinion though as no testing has probably ever been done. They are cheap enough though so if you'd like to get it for just piece of mind, have at it

3-pt SFC's would benefit you much more IMO.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I have my STB strickly for cosmetic purposes...I just think it completes the engine bay. I'm kind of worried that it won't clear my FAST 102.
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6 M6: 427ci LS3, Built T56, Moser 9" w/ 4.11 Gearing, Full Suspension, and 6-point Cage.
    2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP: Twincharged w/ a T67 Turbocharger
    2007 Chevrolet 3500 Dually Duramax: 3" Downpipe, Dual 4" Exhaust, EFILive Tuning

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Gotcha. The general consensus on here is that the STB doesn't really do anything, even on verts. It is probably all personal opinion though as no testing has probably ever been done. They are cheap enough though so if you'd like to get it for just piece of mind, have at it

3-pt SFC's would benefit you much more IMO.
    Well, I bought 2-pt SFCs since I could not find any 3-pt SFCs for convertible... Unless they are universal and I just "didn't get it" when I was shopping.

Nevertheless, they make a considerable difference.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information