Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strut Tower Bar

WS6RedDragon

Strut Tower Bar

Any one have any good recomendations on a strut tower bar? I was thinking hotchkis or BMR. Also is it hard to install, I was thinking it would be like unbolting 4 bolts and re-bolting them back.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

easy install, but not worth the $$$ if you ask me. Makes for a good bar to grip when working under the hood and not much else. If you are looking for better handling from the front end the $$$ is better spent on a 35mm FSB or some aftermarket HD shocks

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

have to agree with Hurley.
    you are right about it being unbolting/rebolting 4 bolts and that's it, though.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

WS6RedDragon
    I didnt think that it did that much for the car interms of suspension, I was mainly gona do it for looks under the car but I may just wait on it and put that money towards a cam swap or something.

black
    1999 Firebird Formula

I would check out SLP's Strut tower bar. It makes a big difference making the front suspension more rigid. I didn't think it would make that much difference but it's worth the money. You should also consider upgrading the rear suspension at the same time so that the suspension is balanced(panhard rod read sway bar and control arms).

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by FMagarin
    I would check out SLP's Strut tower bar. It makes a big difference making the front suspension more rigid. I didn't think it would make that much difference but it's worth the money. You should also consider upgrading the rear suspension at the same time so that the suspension is balanced(panhard rod read sway bar and control arms).
    I agree-you can feel the difference. I went with LG Motorsports bar that connects to the cowl also-it does make for a much harder install.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    I agree-you can feel the difference. I went with LG Motorsports bar that connects to the cowl also-it does make for a much harder install.
    Pic?

snowhownd
    If you haven't done Panhard and LCA's yet, I'd spend the money there first... that made a HUGE difference for me... you could REALLY feel it... I couldn't really feel much with the Strut Tower bar

Collectors Edition Yellow
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM WS6

So your saying that spending $175 from BMR for their strut tower bar is too much I would say that all strut bars are the same and do about the same amount of work reguardless if you spend $80 or $225 am i correct??
    Last edited by NeeD4SpeeD; 10-18-2005 at 06:42 AM.

snowhownd
    Quote Originally Posted by NeeD4SpeeD
    So your saying that spending $175 from BMR for their strut tower bar is too much I would say that all strut bars are the same and do about the same amount of work reguardless if you spend $80 or $225 am i correct??
    I'd say take the posts above for what they are - opinions... I would venture to say that functionally they are all going to be very similar... although some who use the 3-point bars stated above they felt a big difference... I can't say as I've never tried one. The difference otherwise is going to be cosmetic I would think... which one comes in the color style that you like? Some may have a higher quality finish on them. Do you want all the same company's stuff on your car... or could you give a crap about having all the same? I can tell you I'd never spend $225 on something like a STB... but thats just me. I don't know what you have for mods already, but my list of basic mods from most important to least would be:
    Shifter (N/A for you obviously)
    Exhaust
    Intake
    SFC's
    LCA's
    Panhard
    STB
    Sway Bars

I don't know if that helps at all, but I wouldn't stress much about a STB until you have those other mods (maybe you already do) - some may cost more than a STB, but save your $$ on the STB and save a little longer for a much more beneficial mod IMHO (SFC's, etc).

WS6RedDragon
    WS6 A4 LT headers, ORY, custom tune, slp intake, flowmaster, removed EGR, QTP cutout

The Rookie
    Well I got my Hotchkis STB for 50 bucks from my neighbor when I lived in Dallas. Didn't know what it would do, but it did seem to stiffen the front up a bit. I recently put KYB AGX shocks on the car and it is a hell of a lot stiffer now.

snowhownd
    Quote Originally Posted by WS6RedDragon
    WS6 A4 LT headers, ORY, custom tune, slp intake, flowmaster, removed EGR, QTP cutout
    Absolutely spend the next few hundred bucks on Subframe Connectors then... after you get them on you will wonder how and why you ever drove the car without them.

Then do LCA's and Panhard, they will make a big difference in planting the rear tires and getting straight again after a turn (while nailing the throttle of course!)... the combo of those three will make the car handle so much better... that's what I'd do anyways!!

xoxo

Hotchkiss STB

My car has all stock suspension, and the Aluminum Hotchkiss STB helped noticebly on some of my favorite corners. Word is that some things could help more, and if you do all the other upgrades, then adding one after won't do much because you're already past that point. My SFC's haven't helped because they're sitting on a shelf . That's my winter project.

White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

My STB from Spohn made a noticable difference.

WS6RedDragon
    Im gona be getting 315s put on soon would it be better for me to get an adjustable panhard bar or a regular one. And if so how do the work?

Black, Red, Silver Jade
    00 WS6,95 Ta, 69 R code

I have the Hotchkis did not seem to do much for me, but again I have the SLP LCA's, and Eibach Sportlines, and front and rear extreme Spohn Swaybars, I do like the BMR Extreme STB I may just buy that too....
    2007 Yukon XL (sold)
    2014 Z71 LTZ 3LZ (sold)
    2010 Escalade Platinum AWD , 6.2
    2017 Silverado HC , 4x4, 6.2

2000 WS6 ASC#2300 Holly LS6 intake, TR Custom grind cam, Mac Mids w/ ORY,Hotchkis LCA's, PHB, BMR Extreme STB, BMR re-location brackets,Eibach Sportlines, GMMG, Mccleod Pro 5.0, SLP SFC's, OEM ZO6 wheels
    1995 TA
    1969 R code Mach I my new project

Pewter
    2002 Z28 M6

Just got a STB from Maryland Speed. They have great prices on SLP stuff and they ship fast! Getting SFCs next!
    Bowtie good! Blue oval not so good! Bob in the PRK

Black
    2000 Firebird Formula WS6

STB from Spohn.. 4 bolts and washers.. I have since polished all my aluminum.. so this picture is a few weeks old.. updated photos of before and after to come in the next day or two.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

So, did you notice a difference after installing the STB?

BTW, that clear lid looks cool. I see you descreened your MAF sensor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information