Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Strut Brace

Strut Brace

Is these any effect on the alignment when installing a front strut cross brace (between towers).

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by johnfin View Post
    Is these any effect on the alignment when installing a front strut cross brace (between towers).
    No, if it does at all it is so negligible that there will be no noticeable affect on alignment. I feel like it stiffens up the front end a tad but many will say it is more of an appearance mod.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Strut Brace

Do you have to take all of the upper strut mount nuts off to install a brace?

Black/ Silver

Just the two nuts on each side, slide the brace on and tighten down the nuts.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Yep.....Will's right.

I'll add that the brand of the TSB matters too. Fitment and clearance for the hood and intake, mostly for the intake. If you have a LS1/6 intake you'll be fine, however if you have a BBK or FAST 102 you might have fitment issues.

For straight line racing a TSB is useless. However for daily street or auto cross driving it helps in the handling. I've noticed that I was able to handle turns at higher rate of speed and not lose traction. However I also have more suspension upgrades that were installed at the same time. (see signature)

My recommendation is it can't hurt to have.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Black/ Silver

I have a FAST 102 and the UMI brand one fits just fine. I have heard the slp one can be close. WS6 hoods and like hoods tend to not be an issue for STBs but the non ram air hoods can be from what I have heard.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

IIRC BMR has an issue with the BBK and FAST too.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I wouldn't install it if the right or left side of the car is raised significantly higher than the other. It may not even be possible to install it if the car is torque that much. Your driveway will more than suffice.

If you got a good price on it (I paid less that $60 IIRC, sale with free shipping @UMI), they're worth it. But like Scott said, I installed mine with other suspension components on the same day (Subframe connectors) and definitely felt a difference in left to right handling. I did notice from launch (straight line driving), the front end pulls up more level, but the SFC help out alot on that subject.

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

I installed a QA1 STB, it's a 3 point contact. Definitely notice a difference! A pain in the ass to install but well worth it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

STB is one of the only mods we don't have. It would just be additional weight on our car.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

Install is easy but it makes it a bitch to get to your plugs etc ... Have to pull it for a lot of mods it seems ... Great place to lean...

FYI our cars have shocks not struts.

I'd do sway bars and good shocks/ springs first....

I also wouldn't do a 3 point as I have heard of them causing windshield cracking issues.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by stevenm357 View Post
    The rears are shocks, the front are struts....

A shock absorber resists the bouncing using hydraulics. That’s all it does. Struts are more complex. They combine shock absorption with steering elements and support for the vehicle. Shocks are more common on trucks and SUVs, while you usually find struts on cars. But sometimes you find both—one in the front and the other in the back. Struts are more expensive, because they are more complex.

Black/ Silver

Install is easy but it makes it a bitch to get to your plugs etc ... Have to pull it for a lot of mods it seems ... Great place to lean...

I'd do sway bars and good shocks/ springs first....

I also wouldn't do a 3 point as I have heard of them causing windshield cracking issues.
    Stbs don't make it any harder to do anything, except maybe removing the heads and things like that. But, even if it did it isn't that hard to take off, it takes like a minute or two to take off.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 07-13-2013 at 08:46 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post

A shock absorber resists the bouncing using hydraulics. That’s all it does. Struts are more complex. They combine shock absorption with steering elements and support for the vehicle. Shocks are more common on trucks and SUVs, while you usually find struts on cars. But sometimes you find both—one in the front and the other in the back. Struts are more expensive, because they are more complex.
    I'll disagree. Our cars have 4 shocks like stated above.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

Can't see a 3 point STB cracking a windshield, other then on install ( like I did). It is attached to the firewall and has nothing to do with putting any kind of stress on a windshield.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

STB's are good for engine hoists. Curtis can provide a picture. Nothing more lol. If you think yours made a drastic impact...it's the Placebo effect. This has been proven time and time again over the last 13 years. It's more for show than go. It's one of the few suspension pieces not on my car.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post

Just shows how little you know about how your suspension works.

Pewter
    Y2K WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Stbs don't make it any harder to do anything, except maybe removing the heads and things like that. But, even if it did it isn't that hard to take off, it takes like a minute or two to take off.
    Gets in my San changing that back plug.... And upgrading injectors intake manifold... Granted its not difficult to remove....

I feel with good shocks and springs you wont see any real difference in your car.

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    STB's are good for engine hoists. Curtis can provide a picture. Nothing more lol. If you think yours made a drastic impact...it's the Placebo effect. This has been proven time and time again over the last 13 years. It's more for show than go. It's one of the few suspension pieces not on my car.
    As I won't argue this with you Jon. I've had a 2 point STB and now a 3 point. Maybe it's just me "wanting" to feel a difference.....but, like I said, I won't argue this point as I am not as verse on the issue as you are. I'm just going on my experience with my own rides. Thanks for that bit of info though. I truly thought I felt a difference.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Now I am confused, what does STB stand for? I thought it was Strut Tower Brace. And, when I changed my front struts, why did I have to use a Mac Phereson Strut Tool? From what I understand, when the coils and shocks are seperately located, the shock component is called a shock. But, when they are a single, complete unit, that unit was called a strut.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information