Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Strano springs Vs. BMR springs???

This is a discussion on Strano springs Vs. BMR springs??? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Not trying to beat a dead horse or anything but this whole issue about copying the design of another product ...

White
    99 Z28

Not trying to beat a dead horse or anything but this whole issue about copying the design of another product is kinda common. BMR was in business way before UMI. In my opinion UMI has copied BMR on a few things. Umi might have even improved the design. But I think they did copy some things. Sam you support UMI right? Am I way off base here?

White
    2001 Z28

How many ways can you make a PHB? Or a set of LCA's? Not many. Further if you look at things like the UMI 3 pt. SFC's or the K-member you will see they are quite different.

And what you seem to be missing here is that BMR had springs before, that they touted as the best. Then they suddenly changed courses, but only after trying to get me to stop selling my stuff and sell theirs instead. And yes, I have the e-mail stating that from BMR.

You know, I can't imagine anyone here would be happy if the guy in the next cubicle at you office copied your work, work you get paid for and developed, and then got paid to do it. Would you? That's what happened here, but people don't see it that way, because I don't work in a cube.

Do you think BMR improved the design? How exactly. Show me what's so different from my springs that have been around since 2006, other than the color.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

White
    99 Z28

Im not debating on weather its right or wrong. I know that you came up with your design by field testing and experience. It just seems that this is a common thing that goes on in the aftermarket world. Also Im not saying that UMI copied everything but for example the bolt on relocation brackets. BMR was the first to make such a bracket. Im sure they spent some time testing and fabricating. Umi simply copied it. Thats all Im saying. Besides BMR has crappy customer support anyways.

White
    2001 Z28

LCA brackets have been around a long, long time. I'd be hard pressed to say BMR came up with them. Mustangs have used them forever, and as long as I can recall f-bodies too. Dropping the tail of the LCA for an instant center change isn't rocket science.

I guess looking at springs, they all look alike too, but they aren't. You have rate differences, you have height differences, and linear vs. progressive (and how they are progressive). Springs are no more alike than two brands of tires becaue they are round, black and the same size.

I know you aren't arguing with me, and I apologize if I'm coming across agruing with you. I'm extremely frustrated that slimy people get away with stuff like that.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Lightbulb

I don't think you can go wrong with Sam Strano, he won't just tell you something just to make a sale, he gives open, honest answers!
    And not too many companys give out near the quality of free information that Sam does on public forums.
    How many other companies do that?

I also beleive that some people have a misunderstanding of what good customer service is . Its not just being told what you want to hear, it also involves being told what you need to hear.

Keep up the great work Sam, and don't stress out!

White
    2001 Z28

Thank you Blue28... Your words are appreciated (and they made me feel a little better too).

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

sam..why not trade secret on your springs to protect yourself from this..or is it something that really cant be trade secreted

to my understanding...trade secrets are for formulas etc that keep your company viable and give you a market advantage

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

none the less..your name is known throughout the lsx community and people know your products and what they get...have faith

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

I will do my part to steer my peers in the right direction Sam. If I see someone debating springs, I'll tell them BMR is the Devil!!!! and they should call you

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

I continue to rave about Sam's products to whoever will listen.
    Like Blue28 said you just can't beat the cutomer service and great tech support from somebody who truly knows his stuff.

Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

black
    2000 pontiac trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    Are you ready for the truth? Shocks matter much more in the end if the end is to be a composed, good handling car. If you decision is between Strano springs and Bilstein or Koni's alone--I have to recommend the Koni's. I'd love to see you on my springs, but shocks matter, a LOT. And the lower and stiffer the car, the more the shocks matter. Of course teaming both my springs and Koni's up is the best solution, but if the cost is such that you could only use one of those two combo's, it's have to be Koni's over springs and shocks that aren't really the best damper for lowering springs.
    Thanks! I will have to go for the best solution then!!! Koni's it will have to be.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information