Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Strano springs Vs. BMR springs???

This is a discussion on Strano springs Vs. BMR springs??? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS I was wondering why their drop went from 1" to 1.25".... they want to be like ...

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    I was wondering why their drop went from 1" to 1.25".... they want to be like you, Sam They look up to you. Take their copycatting as a compliment
    not when it could cost him money

White
    2001 Z28

It's really not even that.... I could have made a lot more money if I had more springs. I didn't do it to get rich (and I'm not), I did it because I wanted something better. What really, really pisses me off it their blatant plagarism and the spin associated with what they want you to believe.

When BMR's springs were very different they had a 100 reasons why they were as good or better. Now they swiped my design, they ahve 100 reasons why these are better. While I certainly think that's true (since I came up with them) I think it's pretty telling about BMR and what they think about their customers. They are shady people as far as I'm concerned. I have e-mials from the company who make BMR's springs telling me if I sent samples of mine they could replicate them closely (so I know they are willing to "borrow" other people's work). And I have e-mails from BMR wanting me to become a dealer for tham @ the WD (warehouse distributor) level... I declined because I don't want to be associated with that kind of company. I'm sure it won't make my life any easier since they are much larger than I am, and completely willing to act like bullies. They've had threads pulled that didn't go their way from the customer feedback standpoint too.

I'd hope that people would consider these things when deciding what parts to use.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

its never been a question for me sam..it will be your product.

White
    2001 Z28

I appreciate that.

2002 WS6 TranAm

Sam just hoping I get some this order around but based on my research you are the man!

White
    2001 Z28

Anytime you guys want to start sending order in via the website, you'll be officially on the list. It's only those that wait that risk missing out.... While I need payment information to hold a set in your name, nobody is charged until the springs are here, so there is no reason to not get a set backordered.

White
    1998 Trans Am

98 trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    Anytime you guys want to start sending order in via the website, you'll be officially on the list. It's only those that wait that risk missing out.... While I need payment information to hold a set in your name, nobody is charged until the springs are here, so there is no reason to not get a set backordered.
    I wanted to order a set next week after I finish painting the cars left at my shop and collect the cash. I was wondering what shock would be better with your springs. Koni's are a little too much with all the work I have going on at once and my shocks on the car are from over 10yrs old and 80k on them.
    I was thinking the KYB AGX since the KYB's I had on my other cars were decent or the your version of the Bilsteins. I plan to hit the 1/4 mile a few times a yr. I want great cornering and a decent ride but cornering is more important the ride just has to be liveable on a cruise. I want something I can use through sharp curved roads and an occasional trip to an road race track.

Thanks,
    ryan
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Sam how long until the next batch will be in? Id like to get your springs as the previous owner has pro kit springs which I am not a fan of.

White
    2001 Z28

Next batch of springs is admittedly a ways off. Roughly 12 weeks.... They are out of stock so often because so many want them--which is great! But it's got me continually behind. I'm a victim of making something everyone likes--DAMN!

Shocks for lowering springs:

Koni's are the best. Becomes a toss up between Strano spec Bilstein and AGX's. SS Bilstein's aren't really meant for the spring rate, but are very tough and will not break. The damping is a touch too soft, but they'll be good for a long time. The AGX's have better damping control, though they ride much firmer than Koni's do at a similar amount of control. The trouble is they aren't as tough, and if you fail one KYB warranty is not very useful.

It's a 6 of one, half-dozen kind of thing. I'd have to say AGX's would get the performance nod, Bilstein the ride quality nod.

2002 WS6 TranAm

Tell me more about the AGX shocks with your springs Sam. I know Koni best all around but how much of a difference will I tell with these AGX's? I see many many folks with other shocks, etc. on here but trust in your experience. AGX's, Strano's + install saves me a good bit and allows me to move onto the next mod.

**about my car. It's an 06 WS6 stock right now with 39K on it. I don't drive the car but for fun on perfect condition days. I don't race but do like to play on the street and push the car a little. I'm getting ready to do bolt on mod's shortly and have a set of springs on order and want to do suspension next**

White Liquid Silver
    2000 Camaro SS/ 02 YZF-R1

Sam, I plan on calling you monday and getting on the list for springs and shocks (probably bite the bullet and get the Koni's) I'll wait the 12 weeks if I have to, I want to do it right the first time.

I have a question: Every year I get these little dimples on the driverside rear quarter. A neighbor works for dent wizard and fixes them for me only for them to come back somewhere else. I read that subframe connectors would stop that. But I also read that the Strano springs and Koni's setup also remedy that...?

black
    2000 pontiac trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    It's really not even that.... I could have made a lot more money if I had more springs. I didn't do it to get rich (and I'm not), I did it because I wanted something better. What really, really pisses me off it their blatant plagarism and the spin associated with what they want you to believe.

When BMR's springs were very different they had a 100 reasons why they were as good or better. Now they swiped my design, they ahve 100 reasons why these are better. While I certainly think that's true (since I came up with them) I think it's pretty telling about BMR and what they think about their customers. They are shady people as far as I'm concerned. I have e-mials from the company who make BMR's springs telling me if I sent samples of mine they could replicate them closely (so I know they are willing to "borrow" other people's work). And I have e-mails from BMR wanting me to become a dealer for tham @ the WD (warehouse distributor) level... I declined because I don't want to be associated with that kind of company. I'm sure it won't make my life any easier since they are much larger than I am, and completely willing to act like bullies. They've had threads pulled that didn't go their way from the customer feedback standpoint too.

I'd hope that people would consider these things when deciding what parts to use.
    I was in sales for 6 years, I use to have people come in ask me all these questions about products and buy else where. I cant say that Im ready to pull the trigger at the moment but when i am they will be your springs. i would like the Koni's but at the moment they are a little more expensive. but if they're going to do what i want them to do then i will wait and save for them, if there isn't a comparable alternative. Your Bilsteins seem like a good alternative. I like a long distance pro-touring car set up, a harsher ride would not bother me, I would rather have a more stability and response from my car cornering.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by mrsracing View Post
    Tell me more about the AGX shocks with your springs Sam. I know Koni best all around but how much of a difference will I tell with these AGX's? I see many many folks with other shocks, etc. on here but trust in your experience. AGX's, Strano's + install saves me a good bit and allows me to move onto the next mod.

**about my car. It's an 06 WS6 stock right now with 39K on it. I don't drive the car but for fun on perfect condition days. I don't race but do like to play on the street and push the car a little. I'm getting ready to do bolt on mod's shortly and have a set of springs on order and want to do suspension next**

I sell the AGX's. You get what you pay for, that's the frank truth. If you ask around on various sites you'll find folks who've changed from AGX to Koni and they never look back. If you can't swing Koni's, then these become a viable option... but there is no substitute for the best damping. The car ride better, handles better and all around nicer to drive. AGX's are better than stock shocks for sure, and because they are adjustable offer you some chance to tweak the settings to what you like best. But the adjustment and damping control is just not in the same league as a Koni. It's like comparing a 275/40-17 Sumitomo to a Goodyear F1D3 or BFG KD, just not the same realm.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Joe00SS View Post
    Sam, I plan on calling you monday and getting on the list for springs and shocks (probably bite the bullet and get the Koni's) I'll wait the 12 weeks if I have to, I want to do it right the first time.

I have a question: Every year I get these little dimples on the driverside rear quarter. A neighbor works for dent wizard and fixes them for me only for them to come back somewhere else. I read that subframe connectors would stop that. But I also read that the Strano springs and Koni's setup also remedy that...?
    You can order springs anytime now. You won't be charged for springs until they arrive--though I'd need payment information to hold a set for you. Koni's are currently out of stock, but will be back in on 5/5. Any Koni order would be processed so they officially are on backorder and will ship automatically upon arrival in stock.

As for your dimples. SFC's won't really help because the don't keep the quarters from flexing, they keep the floorpan under the door from flexing as much. They can't hurt, but really won't stop that dimpling. Neither will springs or shocks as those don't have any effect what-so-ever on how much the chassis twists. Though the shocks do help lessen hard impacts to the unibody that the stock shocks often don't damp out, and that might help a touch.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Rob00Taws6 View Post
    I was in sales for 6 years, I use to have people come in ask me all these questions about products and buy else where. I cant say that Im ready to pull the trigger at the moment but when i am they will be your springs. i would like the Koni's but at the moment they are a little more expensive. but if they're going to do what i want them to do then i will wait and save for them, if there isn't a comparable alternative. Your Bilsteins seem like a good alternative. I like a long distance pro-touring car set up, a harsher ride would not bother me, I would rather have a more stability and response from my car cornering.
    Are you ready for the truth? Shocks matter much more in the end if the end is to be a composed, good handling car. If you decision is between Strano springs and Bilstein or Koni's alone--I have to recommend the Koni's. I'd love to see you on my springs, but shocks matter, a LOT. And the lower and stiffer the car, the more the shocks matter. Of course teaming both my springs and Koni's up is the best solution, but if the cost is such that you could only use one of those two combo's, it's have to be Koni's over springs and shocks that aren't really the best damper for lowering springs.

2002 WS6 TranAm

Sam, I don't question the Koni/Strano setup. I'm was just looking for feedback on what's the next best option. Not riding in cars that have been done I wonder how different the seat of the pants feel is, etc. I've already ordered springs still figuring it all out.

White
    2001 Z28

I didn't think you were, and I tried my best to explain based on what information I had....

AGX's aren't are composed over bumps as Koni's, they don't ride as well. That's the difference, AGX's make for a more 'stiff' legged ride, Koni's are more supple. Bilstein's ride well, but the trade-off is they don't snub the body motions down as well as the shocks that have more damping control.

Basically it's AGX's for cheap performance if the roads are very good.

Bilstein for ride quality if not the super best handling/body control when driving more spiritedly....

Koni for the best combo of ride and handling/control.

Does that help?

White Liquid Silver

Sam what are the shop hours so I can order the springs and get on the list? I called and left a voice earlier today. Should I just order through the website? I want the Koni 4/3's too but I'll wait until the springs are available then pick those up.

White Liquid Silver

edit: just ordered the springs through the website

2002 WS6 TranAm

Sam, thanks! That was what I was looking for.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information