Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    2001 Z28

Strano Springs--IN STOCK (for now)

All backorders have been filled, and we have springs available for sale on our website: www.stranoparts.com

Just click on you make and model car, go to the "suspension" section, and the springs are part number SP141 listed under Stranoparts.

Price is still $275 shipped to the continential US (not sure for how much longer given the price of moving these things around)....

Approximately half of the 100 sets we got have been shipped, leaving around 50 sets available currently. Many of you know the details, but for those that don't:

-550 lb/in front, 150 lb/in rear springs. Linear rate front, linear working rate rear because actively progressive rate springs are not able to be damped properly due to the variation in rate. You will not find progressive rate springs on serious performance cars, and never on race cars.

-Approximate lowering 1.2" (variable due to your car's original height).

-Both the spring rates and ride heights were specified using information directly from the spring rate and ride height I use on my own car.

-The Springs are made from VVS alloy that is 35% lighther than the Chrome-Silicon most springs are made with. A set of our springs are on average 13 pounds lighter on our ship scales than common lowering springs from Eibach and Hotchkis.

-While designed for handling above all, they are among the best launching lowering springs due to the fact we don't use extreme rear rates, or slam the ride height, both of which hurt weight transfer. 150 pounds is actually the average of the rates used by 1LE springs. Our rear springs are 25% stiffer than stock, but are also as much 12-30% softer than other lowering springs.

-Why are the rear springs not brutally stiff? Simply put they don't need to be, the rear suspension is not complex and is very similar to a pick-up truck. Like a truck, if you over spring it for the amount of weight you carry you simply cause the rear to loose mechancial grip. It will skip around more and just not let the tires stayed glued to the road as well. Also you hurt the cars ability to squat, which can and does help traction.

-Why not use stock rate rear springs if softer is better? Like anything you have to assess the total situation. If we didn't stiffen the rear springs at all, the car would be very sluggish responding in the back and not very well balanced.

-Are the springs streetable? Very much so. I'm a believer in the addage that you use as only as much spring as you need to get the job done, and no more. Anything more costs mechanical grip and ride quality unecessarily. While the springs are firm, when teamed with good quality dampers (shocks) the ride is considered by most to be much better than stock because the harshness is greatly reduced vs. stock despite the higher spring rates.

-Cost: $275 shipped to the continential US.

We realized our springs are not the cheapest out there. And that's because we don't use cheap materials. And if you consider the total costs after shipping I think you'll find the price more than fair for what you get.

Here are some pics of the springs on various cars (and thanks to those that posted these).
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=576054
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=653781
    http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=688764
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I am seriously considering these in place of my ProKit.
    But I love my current stance. I have seen cars on your springs, and they look like they are maybe 1/4" higher. Sound right??

Are they any softer than the ProKit? I assume they would probably allow for slightly better launches as well.

White
    2001 Z28

Pro-kits vary so much that I can't tell you exactly how we'd compare. Some sit very much the same as mine, some sit way lower....

I can tell you that on stock OD sized tires, that most LS1's sit about 26" front, 26.5-26.75" rear when you measure from the ground to the top of fender/quarter panel opening. Most every car drops 1-1.2 in front, and right about 1.2" in the back vs. their stock height.

My springs are not softer, in fact they are 150 lbs/in firmer (550) in front, and my rears work @ 150 rate vs. 137 for the LS1 Pro-kit rears. And to a person folks feel they ride better. Simply put the LS1 Prokit is too low for the rates being used. When you get to the bumpstops (and you do, with mine as well), you hit them harder, faster and more often than with our springs. We still use them, and shocks are still a huge key in any good suspension, but in this last run I've had two folks put them on with stock shocks (not my choice) and both reported they car rides no worse than stock springs/shocks did.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

It sounds like height wouldn't be a problem.

But since the ProKit is too low for the spring rates, would the stiffer but proper height Strano spring improve my launches, or make them worse?
    It is a street car first and foremost, but I do like it to perform well at the strip as well when I do race it.

Koni 4/3's are the shocks by the way.
    Thanks!! Really leaning towards picking these up while you have them.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

this is probably my next purchase! you may mention that the pro kit is about the same price (sometimes more) so you might as well get the best springs . . . strano!!

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

<<<< looks under sofa...between car seats...in old pants pockets for spare change

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    Pro-kits vary so much that I can't tell you exactly how we'd compare. Some sit very much the same as mine, some sit way lower....

I can tell you that on stock OD sized tires, that most LS1's sit about 26" front, 26.5-26.75" rear when you measure from the ground to the top of fender/quarter panel opening. Most every car drops 1-1.2 in front, and right about 1.2" in the back vs. their stock height.

My springs are not softer, in fact they are 150 lbs/in firmer (550) in front, and my rears work @ 150 rate vs. 137 for the LS1 Pro-kit rears. And to a person folks feel they ride better. Simply put the LS1 Prokit is too low for the rates being used. When you get to the bumpstops (and you do, with mine as well), you hit them harder, faster and more often than with our springs. We still use them, and shocks are still a huge key in any good suspension, but in this last run I've had two folks put them on with stock shocks (not my choice) and both reported they car rides no worse than stock springs/shocks did.
    this answered my questions. I've noticed that i still have a harsh ride with 4/4 konis and prokit. This might be a good fix.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    It sounds like height wouldn't be a problem.

But since the ProKit is too low for the spring rates, would the stiffer but proper height Strano spring improve my launches, or make them worse?
    It is a street car first and foremost, but I do like it to perform well at the strip as well when I do race it.

Koni 4/3's are the shocks by the way.
    Thanks!! Really leaning towards picking these up while you have them.
    Lowering the car hurts weight transfer. We aren't as low. We also stay a little more off the rear stops and you can hit those if you launch hard. The rear rate of 150 is not super stiff (purposely) so that won't hurt you.

I have guys with handling packs on cars (these springs and Koni's) that can cut 1.6's all day long without being "drag" cars. Could well be someone cutting even better times on the springs, I don't know as that's not what I meant them to do. But in the end I don't see the springs leaving any worse, and I suspect slightly better--but can't prove it.

White
    2001 Z28

When these are gone... they'll be gone for about 3-4 months (that's how long it takes to get more built and shipped).

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Lowering the car hurts weight transfer. We aren't as low. We also stay a little more off the rear stops and you can hit those if you launch hard. The rear rate of 150 is not super stiff (purposely) so that won't hurt you.

I have guys with handling packs on cars (these springs and Koni's) that can cut 1.6's all day long without being "drag" cars. Could well be someone cutting even better times on the springs, I don't know as that's not what I meant them to do. But in the end I don't see the springs leaving any worse, and I suspect slightly better--but can't prove it.
    Sold then.

Does your site allow paypal payments?? I am certified. EDIT...Guess not.
    Otherwise I have to wait for some payments to clear before I can order.
    Last edited by Mr. Luos; 06-05-2008 at 11:21 AM.

White
    2001 Z28

The site does not take PP. However, if you would like to place the order via the site, and then just send the money via PP to my e-mail address we can handle it that way.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

The site does not take PP. However, if you would like to place the order via the site, and then just send the money via PP to my e-mail address we can handle it that way.
    I moved some $$ around.
    Should have the order in tomorrow. I hope.

How quickly you think you will go through these 50 sets??

White
    2001 Z28

Last time around it took 18 days to sell 65 sets.... I can't know until they are gone, but they tend to evaporate.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Well...the latest I will order is Monday.
    Hoping tomorrow.

*crosses fingers*

White
    2001 Z28

Being that I'm closed tomorrow and probably most of Monday that shouldn't be an issue... unless I get flooded with online orders while I'm gone.

Closed because I'm off to a National event this weekend in New England.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

Just an FYI - I went from stock to Sam's springs with the Koni 4/3's and let me just tell you its night and day difference! I have ridden in plenty lowered f-bodz and non ride like mine- Shit it rides better then stock in EVERY aspect!!!! Just my .02

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Being that I'm closed tomorrow and probably most of Monday that shouldn't be an issue... unless I get flooded with online orders while I'm gone.

Closed because I'm off to a National event this weekend in New England.
    Order in early today.

Good luck this weekend Sam, and thanks!

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

what do the pounds associate with springs mean? and while you're at it...what's the difference between "progressive spring rate" and "linear" ?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    what do the pounds associate with springs mean? and while you're at it...what's the difference between "progressive spring rate" and "linear" ?
    Just a little weight off the car is all.

Progressive - As they compress, they get stiffer.
    Linear - Always the same spring rate, even as they compress.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

thanks! I meant the 550 and 150 lbs...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information