Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Strano Master Cylinder Brace

So, Sam Strano is still making stuff for our cars.

The latest thing I'm seeing is this master cylinder brace, here:
    Strano Performance Parts - Part Details

He claims it will improve pedal feel by preloading the master cylinder.

I don't assume it will quantifiably improve braking performance, but I am always after ways to improve the driver/car interaction. My "build" focuses on the experience of interacting with the car, and am wondering what others think of this.

Does the idea make sense?

Always looking for ways to make my car feel more involved, and this looks like a possible way to tighten up some otherwise tolerable slop.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I don't recall ever having an issue with how the brake pedal felt. Do you have that problem?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

No, I don't have a problem with how the brakes feel, honestly. This is one of those things that would be a "cool, now it's even better" kind of thing. Kind of like supercharging a V8 that already makes lots of power.

Not really solving a problem, but rather, making it better than it is. There is a 10-page thread over on the "other" LS1 forum with rave reviews, FWIW.
    Lid, Throttle Body, LS6 Intake, Heads, Cam, Magnaflow, LS7 Clutch, SFCs, STB, Panhard Bar, Strano Springs, Hollow Sway Bars, Poly/Roto LCAs, Konis, MGW Shifter

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

In theory I can see it working. Kinda like the way on the Moser and some others rear cover that has these adjustable stops on the differential main bearing caps. The load of the MC is should be dispersed over a plate that is placed between the MC and the firewall. I know it is on the clutch MC so I'm assuming it would be the same. I think it would have to be in order to handle force of braking, 20g sheet metal won't last that long.

If you get it let me know, I'm interested in your opinion on it. I have done the C5 front brakes & SS line mod and yes there is much improvement over the stock. Seeing how I got them for free doesn't hurt either. I may still upgrade to the CTS-V Brembos later on but for now I'm ok with the C-5 mod. I really need to see if my Snowflake wheels will clear, I had to move my weights to the outside for clearance of the calibers.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

I was looking at this part earlier over on the other forum. There was mention of the CTS-V mod causing problems with the ABS. The issue was that the 4-piston calipers were not designed to replace a 2-piston design, which can cause some problems. I'm not savvy enough on the subtleties of it to really understand, though.

Navy Blue Metallic

I think that is an issue if you have 4 channel. I have 3 channel and no longer use the abs because I deleted it due to upgrading to my 8.8.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Just ordered it after watching Sams video and reading through all the pages on the other site. Figured it would be a good Christmas gift to myself. Haven't put anything new on the car geared towards performance this year. Been thinking to myself for years that the brake pedal has too much travel. So I'll let you guys know after I get it installed and have a chance to try it out.
    Last edited by raynor139; 12-21-2017 at 01:36 PM.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Right on!

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by raynor139 View Post
    Just ordered it after watching Sams video and reading through all the pages on the other site. Figured it would be a good Christmas gift to myself. Haven't put anything new on the car geared towards performance this year. Been thinking to myself for years that the brake pedal has too much travel. So I'll let you guys know after I get it installed and have a chance to try it out.
    Let us know how it goes.

I have a feeling that we are going to need a brace for the shock tower to support the stress put on it by all of the braces that are being put on it.
    SLP Air Lid/Smooth Bellows
    L76 6.0L block, PRC Ported 243 heads, Texas Speed 224R cam.
    Kooks Emissions LT Headers/Catted Y pipe
    NGK TR55 plugs
    Magnaflow Cat-back
    Spohn Front Upper Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Lower Tubular Control Arms
    UMI Front Sway Bar
    UMI Rear Lower Control Arms/ Adjustable Panhard Rod
    UMI Welded-on Two Piece Subframe Connectors
    Factory C5 Z06 17x9.5 wheels w/ 285-40-17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports all the way around.
    Dyno Dynamics dynoed @:
    415 rwhp

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

Hadn't driven the car in over a month so took the opportunity to get it going today with it being so warm. Drove it before putting the brace on and then after. The pedal is definitely firmer with less travel. Took me more time to get tools out and everything then it did to actually install the brace. Just requires some basic sockets and wrenches to do. It does come across as pricey but the results in the end to me are worth it overall.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Thanks for the update. I'm still thinking about getting one, myself.

Navy Blue Metallic

Looking at the video I now have a better feeling it will work with my custom Shock Tower Brace. I may end up modifying it a little but I don't think by much if I had to.

Navy Blue Metallic

Placed my order today

Navy Blue Metallic

Chase,

How much tension did you place on the MC? I'm not sure just how much to put on it. I did feel a little more firmer and less pedal travel then before.

It did clear my custom STB, so I can't see how it would have issues with others unless you have the Hotchkis STB like they stated.

Thread Information