Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Strano Lightweight Tubular Rear Sway Bar: 7/8 in. (22mm)

This is a discussion on Strano Lightweight Tubular Rear Sway Bar: 7/8 in. (22mm) within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Grrr this squeak is on my last nerve! I used some brake caliper grease in the bushing, but it still ...

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Grrr this squeak is on my last nerve! I used some brake caliper grease in the bushing, but it still squeaks. It seems like the squeak goes away for 2 or 3 compressions, but then it comes back. I'm going to just take the bushing off and see if it still squeaks under compression....
    Last edited by Naaman; 06-28-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Okay, I removed the bushings and compressed the suspension. Squeak is GONE. New sway bars/bushings on the way.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Ordered the front and rear sway bars...
    Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Okay, I removed the bushings and compressed the suspension. Squeak is GONE. New sway bars/bushings on the way.
    ???
    I'm confused. Didn't you order new bars 06-13-2012? The new bars come with new bushings.
    Last edited by BadTA00; 06-28-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    2000 T/A-DMH Cutout, SLP Cold Air kit, FTRA/SLP Upgrade, SLP Bilstein, LT1 Eibach ProKit, Kuhmo PA31 Tires ,SLP Fan Switch, UMI Double Adj PHB w/ Roto-Joints, UMI LCARB, Strano 35/22mm Sway Bars , Magnecor KV85 Wires, Hurst Shifter, Lou's Short Stick.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Okay: I ordered the sway bars because I was convinced it was the bushings that was making the noise since I could not (at the time) eliminate anything else as the cause. When I talked to Sam, he said that his next shipment of sway bars would be delayed because he had to kick back the most recent materials he received to make them with (poor quality).

Today, I was able to actually lift the car and mess with stuff, so I was able to confirm 100% that it was the bushings. After my first test yesterday with the silicone, I was beginning to wonder whether it was actually the sway bar bushings and was contemplating cancelling or revising my order. But, since there will be a delay in the shipping, I figured I should just use the resources at my disposal this week to make 100% sure.

Now I'm sure, and even with the grease I crammed in there, the squeak only went away for a couple of hours. Though, it is not as loud as it was, now that it's back.

I have to say, playing around under the car really makes me want to rip all that factory stamped crap out from under there and do a full UMI set up. A cross member will probably be my next mod.
    Last edited by Naaman; 06-28-2012 at 09:54 PM.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

sounds like a good plan you have there i have the strano springs and love them i want the sway bars too and you will like any thing you can get from umi or strano. they are the only two i get for my car

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Yeah... I'm thinking about the Strano Springs and some Koni's for my rear shocks (I have 'em up front already, with Bilstiens in the back).

I'm just not sure I want the car lowered, as it's my daily driver, and I deal with a lot of speed bumps...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I'm lowered with that set-up and never scrape on anything. Almost 3/4 of a pop can height ground clearance at the lowest point of the collector.
    It's on jackstands.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

with my strano springs and full set of 4/4 koni's i have only bottomed out 1 time on a big curb and i have the umi 3 point sfc's

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Interesting... My muffler at stock ride height has some scrapes on it, and is cracked (I presume from being bottomed out). Not sure if it was like that when I bought it or not...

What alignment issues do you have from being lowered? Do you just get your alignment done at Les Schwab/Discount Tires or something? According to the "factory," an alignment isn't even supposed to be attempted if the ride height is not stock...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

You need an alignment with lowering springs. I think I paid around $60 for my alignment. Absolutely zero problems with the Strano springs and Koni 4/4's. Have had them installed 2-3 years now.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

i dont have any issues and i got luckey and didnt need an alignment i did alot of measuring befor and after but i have a shop i use just up the street and it is only $60

Red, Black
    98 T/A M6, 79 T/A 6.6L

Quote Originally Posted by BadTA00 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by goof4080 View Post
    Sam says those are worthless and he wouldn't let me order them.
    It's hard to believe Sam would say an UMI part is completely worthless. He probably meant that it wasn't worth it for how you plan to use your car.

Sent from Motorola Atrix using Tapatalk 2.
    Maybe I misspoke but I have full umi suspension konis strano springs and sways, only track it and was recommended against it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information