Strange Brake Problem

This is a discussion on Strange Brake Problem within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; I have replaced brakes on my 99 Z28 several times but now I have a problem. The caliper will not ...

Blue
    1999 CAmaro

Angry Strange Brake Problem

I have replaced brakes on my 99 Z28 several times but now I have a problem. The caliper will not close with the pads in place. I have retracted the piston all the way but the caliper wont close. I can place the new pad on the inside on the caliper but not the outside. The left side of the car is fine. I even switched everything from the left side to the right and the outside pad still causes the caliper not to close. I tried a new caliper and same problem. I can put a worn down pad on the outside and it will close regardless if there is a new or old pad on the inside. It is like it is not centered. Never had a problem with it before. Any ideas?

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by vargology View Post
    I have replaced brakes on my 99 Z28 several times but now I have a problem. The caliper will not close with the pads in place. I have retracted the piston all the way but the caliper wont close. I can place the new pad on the inside on the caliper but not the outside. The left side of the car is fine. I even switched everything from the left side to the right and the outside pad still causes the caliper not to close. I tried a new caliper and same problem. I can put a worn down pad on the outside and it will close regardless if there is a new or old pad on the inside. It is like it is not centered. Never had a problem with it before. Any ideas?

Sounds like your caliper pins may be seized up. Remove the caliper and pull each pin from the caliper bracket. Clean the pins and bores and then lubricate them with synthetic caliper grease. The pins should slide in and out of the caliper bracket smoothly when done.

Blue
    1999 CAmaro

Thanks for the response, but tried that.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Okay -- I read your initial post again and think I understand now. How thick are the anti-squeal shims on your new pads? If they are thicker than the originals, try swapping them out.

I've had this happen before on a DD and it was the very edge of the disc where the pads do not ride that was the hold up. Took a hammer and lightly tapped around the perimeter of the disc knocking off the edge and then everything slid together.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

I go through this problem often... as apparently my previous owner did too via my vin report...

The slide pins lock up. Take them out and buy new ones. Take a thick wire cleaning brush and get the inside of the bore clean and rust free and all of the old grease out. Regrease and make sure everthing is coated then insert the new pins with new rubber bushings for them. The hardware kit is 4.99 from autozone.

Make sure your caliper bracket is tight as well. They are 18mm bolts. The slide pins are 16mm and 12mm

Blue
    1999 CAmaro

Thanks for your help. It was the pins!

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by vargology View Post
    Thanks for your help. It was the pins!

Cool. You had me stumped when you posted back that the pins were not the problem. Glad you have your brakes back in working order. I clean and re-grease the pins every time I change pads. The synthetic caliper grease seems to work best.

Thread Information