Thread: Steering issues

White/Blue 30th colors
    1999 30th Trans Am

Steering issues

Hello all. I have a question that I am hoping someone can answer. I am now the proud owner of a 1999 30th Anniversary TA. I have noticed that like the 95 Z28 I owned before this one, this TA also has steering issues. It’s seems okay on roads that are nice and smooth but if I’m on a road that has some rough spots or anything else like this the car can be a real pain to handle and keep on the road. I had it checked out by a local shop and all they told me was I might need to replace the rack & pinion. The alignment seems to be fine because it goes down the road straight if I’m on a nice flat road. I can even let go of the wheel if the road is good enough but get it on any road with imperfections and you better hold on! It feels like the wheels are being pulled from side to side. Anyone else have this issue? It’s just a bad feeling of not being in control of the car when this happens. I need to get this fixed. I never got it fixed on my 95 because I sold it after only 6 months but that car did the same thing. If anyone can give input on this please do. Thanks

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

What tires and size do you have on? How many miles on the car? Here many roads are badly rutted and my car does the same thing. When I had 16's on it wasnt really a problem.

White/Blue 30th colors
    1999 30th Trans Am

Steering issue

Hey thanks for your reply. I have on the tire size the car came with 275/45/17. The car only has 60,000 on it. Good for a 1999. I was told that the wider the tires are on the car the more one might come across this problem. I also owned two different 3rd gens. 86 Iroc and a 92 RS. Both of these cars did the same thing but not as bad as the 4th gens. I have not read anything about this issue on other sites and I don't really understand why more people have not come across this as it has taken place on every F-Body I have come in contact with. Thanks

R-

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I've had the same thing happen. Especially on this one industrial road. There is a stretch that I hold on with both hands because the road seems to grab my tires and pull me to the right. But, not in any of my other cars. Always in my Camaro though. If the road is smooth for the most part, I have no issues. It's just the rougher roads.

White/Blue 30th colors
    1999 30th Trans Am

F-Body Steering issue

Yep, thats the feeling! I don't understand it but it seems crazy that GM never came up with a fix for this. Thanks for your reply

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 99TAguy75 View Post
    Yep, thats the feeling! I don't understand it but it seems crazy that GM never came up with a fix for this. Thanks for your reply
    I always kind of figured it was my tires. They grip really good

But, when I first got my car, it freaked me out because I wasn't expecting it at all and there were cars on both sides of me

Now... I know and am prepared

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

It's gotta be the tires. I had the same problem in another car, didn't have it with the factory tires,but did with aftermarket rims and tires, and as soon as I changed the tires, problem went away. I describe it like driving a rocket, it grips every line in the road, and wants to follow them.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    It's gotta be the tires. I had the same problem in another car, didn't have it with the factory tires,but did with aftermarket rims and tires, and as soon as I changed the tires, problem went away. I describe it like driving a rocket, it grips every line in the road, and wants to follow them.
    Yes!

Maroon
    2000 Z28

The 17 x9's are more likely to do it but most importantly you need to have the alignment done professionally. Make sure the toe is at "0" and get as much caster out of it as possible 4-5 degrees. If the alignment is toed out more than zero it will cause the problem you are having. I run 275/40/17's on 9.5 rims. My car only does it when I get aggressive with the alignment for racing.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

That's what I've got too. 275/40/17's

Thread Information