Steering has play in it

This is a discussion on Steering has play in it within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; I just drove my buddies car for him and the steering wheel feels like it has quite a bit of ...

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Steering has play in it

I just drove my buddies car for him and the steering wheel feels like it has quite a bit of play in it. What would cause this? Rack and Pinion being loose?
    He has a 99 WS6 with factory wheels/suspension. Thanks for any advice. I told him to just take it to tires plus and get them to check the front end out.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

my car does something similar... well, not actually steering play as in the steering wheel turns and the wheels don't, but you can jerk it up and down a bit. i think it's a tilt malfunction, it wore out somewhere (170k) on a previous owner or something. Maybe not but, hell it isn't that big of a deal.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by richard head View Post
    my car does something similar... well, not actually steering play as in the steering wheel turns and the wheels don't, but you can jerk it up and down a bit. i think it's a tilt malfunction, it wore out somewhere (170k) on a previous owner or something. Maybe not but, hell it isn't that big of a deal.
    This one I think is just loose somewhere. I dont know where the bolts are to tighten it though.

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

if it has play in it as in turning it left and right then it might be the bolts that connect the pieces from the steering wheel to the rack and pinion. Mine were loose and it was had a lot play, i thought it was because my car was in an accident at one time but i later took a look at the bolts (2 i believe, next the driver side header) and tightened em up, steering felt brand new.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Thats probably it.
    Last edited by wooddaniel; 09-24-2009 at 03:27 PM.

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

I'm gonna try that on my SS as well, she has a bit of play left to right, it's worth a try. If not that then it probably needs an alignment I guess. At 172.5k it probably needs a lot of things But she's been out of the DD position for a week and a half now, so those miles will come to a halt for a bit. Maybe give me a chance to replace some things before other things break haha.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    I'm gonna try that on my SS as well, she has a bit of play left to right, it's worth a try. If not that then it probably needs an alignment I guess. At 172.5k it probably needs a lot of things But she's been out of the DD position for a week and a half now, so those miles will come to a halt for a bit. Maybe give me a chance to replace some things before other things break haha.
    I just hit 140K. Radiator hoses, Coolant flush, Shocks, Full brake service, and Diff fluid change were just done on my car. Drives like when I bought it at 40K miles still! (Well better with the cam/etc ) Handles the road better than the 2010 Mustang GT I drove. I have never had any problems with the steering. Feels as tight as ever. They will last 200K just got to take care of them.
    Last edited by wooddaniel; 09-24-2009 at 04:30 PM.

Just a souped up sunfire. Ryans99LS1's Avatar

SOM
    99 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by wooddaniel View Post
    I just hit 140K. Radiator hoses, Coolant flush, Shocks, Full brake service, and Diff fluid change were just done on my car. Drives like when I bought it at 40K miles still! (Well better with the cam/etc ) Handles the road better than the 2010 Mustang GT I drove. I have never had any problems with the steering. Feels as tight as ever. They will last 200K just got to take care of them.
    did you try tightening the bolts and did it end up fixing it?

and hell yeah it will run to 200k, my formula is about to cross that mark haha.

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans99LS1 View Post
    did you try tightening the bolts and did it end up fixing it?

and hell yeah it will run to 200k, my formula is about to cross that mark haha.
    He still hasnt taken it to a shop. I live an hour or so from him so I havent been back there since.

Thread Information