Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Squeaky Suspension... Let's Upgrade

Okay, in the last few weeks, my rear suspension has been squeaking like a hoopty every time I go over a speed bump. I'm not too fluent with ID-ing suspension parts yet, but my understanding is that a squeaking suspension indicates worn out/bad bushings.

I have LCAs and heavy duty Bilstiens with Strano springs out back. As for the rest of the rear suspension, what should I be looking at? I'm sure I want to get a sway bar (thinking about UMI 22mm). Anything else to slap on there? And how does the chromemoly sway bar's weight compare to the stock set up?

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

You may want to take a look at your mounting holes for the LCA's. The bolts are smaller than the holes in the unibody. That alone may be causing your squeak. You drive over a speed bump, your LCA's move in relation to the body(unibody). But, poly mounts in the rear are easy to do. Only took me a day to do the rear, and that was with the shocks at the same time.

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Sweet. I will check that out. I just sprayed some lube on the sway bar and the panhard bar, but the squeak didn't go away. I figure if I drive it a little bit, the lube should settle into the crevasses and if it's one of those components, the squeak will go away. If it's the LCA bushings, any good ones to recommend?

Whereabouts in Phoenix are ya? I'm on the west side.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I put polys on mine all around. From ws6speedstore.com . I am in arrowhead. If you are on the west side, you will probably hear me fire mine up, its pretty loud. LT's, SLP Loudmouth. No cats, 3 " all the way out. They say you can hear this exhaust setup doing quarter mile runs from 5-6 miles away. I believe it.

Red
    02 Trans Am WS6

I did all poly energy suspension and i am happy with them.

As far as your sqeek, check your panels. i spent weeks trying to figure out exactly what component on the front of my TA was squeeking and it turned out to just be the front bumper connection to the fender. I just took a peice of paper, folded it up really small and wedged it into the gap between the two and the noise stopped. Then all I had to do was tighten the body screw between the two for a permanent solution. - Good luck-

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

^^
    finding noises like that are super PITA to find.

Quote Originally Posted by Naaman View Post
    Okay, in the last few weeks, my rear suspension has been squeaking like a hoopty every time I go over a speed bump. I'm not too fluent with ID-ing suspension parts yet, but my understanding is that a squeaking suspension indicates worn out/bad bushings.

I have LCAs and heavy duty Bilstiens with Strano springs out back. As for the rest of the rear suspension, what should I be looking at? I'm sure I want to get a sway bar (thinking about UMI 22mm). Anything else to slap on there? And how does the chromemoly sway bar's weight compare to the stock set up?
    Hey Naaman.

Thanks for considering UMI.

Have you considered subframe connectors to tighten things up? They do wonders for street/strip/auto-x/track.

And your lube idea was pretty good.

ramey
    Ramey Womer
    Product Development Engineer
    ramey@umiperformance.com
    Join us on Facebook!

Cayanne
    98 Z28 Vert M6

Quote Originally Posted by UMI Sales View Post
    Hey Naaman.

Thanks for considering UMI.

Have you considered subframe connectors to tighten things up? They do wonders for street/strip/auto-x/track.

And your lube idea was pretty good.

ramey
    Yes, I have some UMI subframe connectors already. Incidentally, I bought the two point connectors (a while back, for my convertible). I see now that you have three point SFCs for convertibles. Do you have an exchange program

No exchange program unfortunately. Although if they're bolt-in, they sell pretty quickly on classifieds.

The cool thing about 2pt vs 3pt is that 2pts were the industry standard for years and still work great. As a matter of fact we don't even build 3 points for 3rd Gens and that crowd is still well connected...

Thread Information