Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

springs and shocks for drop and firm ride??

Hello,

I'm looking to drop my 99 TA about an 1" to 1 1/2" and I want it to be tight, some what firm and handle well. What shock spring combination do you guys recommend? I've been looking on LM Performance website for some, but I'm not sure. (Ex. http://www.lmperformance.com/792/1.html)

Also would 1" to 2" drop be too much? I currently have 17" rims with 285's in the front and 315's in the rear for tires. Would that drop be too much for the size of the tires? (the rears do stick out a bit, which is why I would like a firm ride so the tires won't scrap.... I"m not too worried about a soft ride, after all I didn't get a caddy!)

I've only had the TA a little while now (got it from my dad) so your guys recommendations would be a great help.

Thanks.

2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by mockler View Post
    Hello,

I'm looking to drop my 99 TA about an 1" to 1 1/2" and I want it to be tight, some what firm and handle well. What shock spring combination do you guys recommend? I've been looking on LM Performance website for some, but I'm not sure. (Ex. http://www.lmperformance.com/792/1.html)

Also would 1" to 2" drop be too much? I currently have 17" rims with 285's in the front and 315's in the rear for tires. Would that drop be too much for the size of the tires? (the rears do stick out a bit, which is why I would like a firm ride so the tires won't scrap.... I"m not too worried about a soft ride, after all I didn't get a caddy!)

I've only had the TA a little while now (got it from my dad) so your guys recommendations would be a great help.

Thanks.
    Good question, and also are these hard to install?.. i have c6 zo6 rims on my car with 18 in the rear and 17 in the front. what would be the best setup for me?

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Koni's and BMR springs will give you what you want. Possible consider some wheel spacers to prevent rubbing the tire/wheel-wells

Black
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

i am dropped 1.5 all the way around. i run 255 on the front and 285 on the back and I have had no rubbing issues. car handles a lot better also.

Impounded

Red
    2000 Trans Am

Its weird i have seen issues with 275s on the back of my friends T/A and my friend with a z28 had no problems with 275s. BTW where are you located in Wisconsin josepy.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by 2000T/A Guru View Post
    Its weird i have seen issues with 275s on the back of my friends T/A and my friend with a z28 had no problems with 275s. BTW where are you located in Wisconsin josepy.
    an adjustabl panhard bar might clear that up. it did for my buddy with spacers and 315's

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    Koni's and BMR springs will give you what you want. Possible consider some wheel spacers to prevent rubbing the tire/wheel-wells
    What do you think of the "handling" packages that BMR has??

http://www.bmrfabrication.com/4F-PACKAGES.htm

Black
    2005 GTO

I'm running bmr springs with bilstien hd's. It's definetly a firm ride. Some revalved bilstiens would be optimum with this setup but I had to go the cheap route.

If you have a big chuck of money you can't really go wrong with some of the packages the some of the manufactures have like bmr. Personally I don't have $1500 so I had to do it part by part. If you have the money the bmr setup is a very nice setup.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

So I went to order the BMR lowering package (I've order Koni shocks already).... as I was ordering the package (which is approx. $450.00) the shipping price came up (I'm in Calgary Alberta, Canada), it was $201.41. Damn near have the price of the product. That is f#$kin rediculous. They only had options for UPS shipping. If it is that much they should have other options for shipping. As much as I would like the BMR setup, I'm not willing to pay that much for shipping. Hell, I mise well take a little vacation/road trip and drive down and get them myself! (Yes I'm exaggerateing.) But holy crap that's expensive.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

call http://www.stranoparts.com
    I've ordered many parts from there and gone through the border without paying ridiculous amounts in shipping.
    + he gives great advice and has good prices.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

That is actually who I bought the koni shocks from. I'll check to see if he has the BMR.

Thanks.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

So I went to order the BMR lowering package (I've order Koni shocks already).... as I was ordering the package (which is approx. $450.00) the shipping price came up (I'm in Calgary Alberta, Canada), it was $201.41. Damn near have the price of the product. That is f#$kin rediculous. They only had options for UPS shipping. If it is that much they should have other options for shipping. As much as I would like the BMR setup, I'm not willing to pay that much for shipping. Hell, I mise well take a little vacation/road trip and drive down and get them myself! (Yes I'm exaggerateing.) But holy crap that's expensive.
    That is a sic amout of shipping!

I am south of you (Lethbridge) and I get all my parts shipped to the border town of Sweetgrass at a UPS depot and drive down to pick them up.

All the feds want is 6% GST. The only drawback to the entire process is that the UPS depot has bankers hours so we can't do it after work or on a weekend.

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

I checked out how much the shipping would be to Sweetgrass, and it's 49 bucks vs. 202 to Calgary. Damn that is quite a difference! The only thing though is if I drove down to get them (which would be a nice drive though) I'd probably spend 150 in gas!!

The border guys never gave you any issues crossing over just to pick up a package?

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

That is actually who I bought the koni shocks from. I'll check to see if he has the BMR.

Thanks.
    If not...he could get them so ask if he would do that for you as a favor.

Blood Red
    Z28

I checked out how much the shipping would be to Sweetgrass, and it's 49 bucks vs. 202 to Calgary. Damn that is quite a difference! The only thing though is if I drove down to get them (which would be a nice drive though) I'd probably spend 150 in gas!!

The border guys never gave you any issues crossing over just to pick up a package?
    I have a paypal receipt with me to show them so they can collect their 6%. That is all they ever want.

I mean I am in the USA for 15 minutes tops. I guess I could be a drug dealer and they should maybe check my truck but I go al the time and the border guards know I am a racer so it is all good!

I just went last friday so I am not sure when I am going again but maybe we could work something out in the future as I race at RCMP in Calgary at least twice a month.

I offered the same deal to KyleLS1 (Also from Cowtown) as he found shipping to be too much at times as well.

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

RCMP being Race City? What do you race there? My brother and father both race in the road racing (bro: Challenge car; Dad: GT1 car). So I'm there for 1 weekend a month. (there is only 1 racing weekend each month)

I'm going to contact http://www.stranoparts.com to see if they can get the BMR package and see how much they would charge for shipping. (BMR will only ship UPS.)

I contacted BMR to see if we could do something about it, and even asked if I bought one of the "handling" packages (1500 to 1800) if they would ship for free, but no such luck.

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

I just noticed on the Stano Performance site they now have some "handling" packages (http://www.stranoparts.com/frontpage.php). What do you guys think of them? Anybody try out the Strano Performance shocks??

I plan on getting Koni shocks either way, so I was just wondering about the Strano shocks vs. BMR.

Blood Red
    Z28

RCMP being Race City? What do you race there? My brother and father both race in the road racing (bro: Challenge car; Dad: GT1 car). So I'm there for 1 weekend a month. (there is only 1 racing weekend each month)

I'm going to contact http://www.stranoparts.com to see if they can get the BMR package and see how much they would charge for shipping. (BMR will only ship UPS.)

I contacted BMR to see if we could do something about it, and even asked if I bought one of the "handling" packages (1500 to 1800) if they would ship for free, but no such luck.
    Yes RCMP= Race City Motorsports Park in Calgary.

I race my Z28:

I just noticed on the Stano Performance site they now have some "handling" packages (http://www.stranoparts.com/frontpage.php). What do you guys think of them? Anybody try out the Strano Performance shocks??

I plan on getting Koni shocks either way, so I was just wondering about the Strano shocks vs. BMR.
    It is best to call the 1-800 number and talk to Sam Strano. He will discuss with you your goals, what you want from the car, etc.

pewter
    1999 Trans Am

I did call Sam today and we spoke for a while. I ended up ordering some shocks (Koni), springs and pan hard bar. He was very helpful.

If your up at the race city for the road races stop by our pits. I'm with the #5 mazda rx-7, and #37 camaro GT1 (yellow) cars.

Nice Z28 BTW.

Blood Red
    Z28

I did call Sam today and we spoke for a while. I ended up ordering some shocks (Koni), springs and pan hard bar. He was very helpful...
    I knew Sam would steer you straight!

What kind of springs did you order? Is he shipping directly to Calgary?

I should have asked you to tell Sam you heard of his shop from LS1.com. I would like for him to become a sponsor here as we recommend him allot and he should join the community here!

...If your up at the race city for the road races stop by our pits. I'm with the #5 mazda rx-7, and #37 camaro GT1 (yellow) cars.
    I think I have seen the yellow rx-7 before, when are you scheduled to be at RCMP next? I would for sure stop by and meet a canuck racer family!

...Nice Z28 BTW.
    Thanks I love the track in your city!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information