SLP or UMI 3-points

This is a discussion on SLP or UMI 3-points within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Anyone's opinion regarding SLP's 3-point vs. UMI's 3-point subframe connectors, or any other brand would be greatly appreciated. I was ...

Justin

Black
    2002 WS6

SLP or UMI 3-points

Anyone's opinion regarding SLP's 3-point vs. UMI's 3-point subframe connectors, or any other brand would be greatly appreciated. I was going to go with the SLP's but not absolutely sure. Thanks guys.

JR.

GMS Subframe Connectors & Driveshaft loop GROUP PURCHASE!

If you're interested in 2-point these will do the trick. A plus about our SFC's is that they will not affect your ground clearance whatsoever and won't be visible unless you're under the car, so no bars hanging under your car for people to look at.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    Anyone's opinion regarding SLP's 3-point vs. UMI's 3-point subframe connectors, or any other brand would be greatly appreciated. I was going to go with the SLP's but not absolutely sure. Thanks guys.

JR.
    I have the UMI bolt-in SFCs, custom powdercoat color (they did it for me), 3-point tubular. They fit perfectly, tuck right in and don't hang low. I'm happy with their products, a bit less expensive than other brands but they work fine and fit right.

Justin

Black
    2002 WS6

Reply 3-points

Yeah but what about the SLP vs. UMI - 3 points?? is there a reason why SLP charges the most for thier subframe connectors?? They look a little more sturdy/strong compared to the UMI's but I could be wrong. Basically is it worth the extra 60 dollars to get the SLP SFC's- 320.00$ vs. 260.00$. I have been satisfied with SLP's products in the past so I was leaning towards them. I never dealt with UMI products.
    JR.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Greed? I don't know the reason why - perhaps SLP comes before UMI in the alphabet is their only justification. I actually had UMI install their parts for me - they fit perfectly with no tweaking whatsoever. UMI actually uses their stuff on their own personal cars & on a drag race car which they sponsor - does SLP even sponsor a race vehicle any more? Can't argue with what works for less money.... UMI also runs a very cost-efficient operation in PA, probably at a much lower cost than SLP. Since I live in Jersey I've also physically been to SLP down in Toms River. UMI does their own fabrication/manufacturing work, not sure if SLP rolls their own.

Justin

Black
    2002 WS6

Subframe

Okay. one more question. Are the UMI 3 point subframe connectors considered tubed based on the round design or are they boxed?? I hear that boxed are stronger but will lower your car by about a half an inch.

JR.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

I have SLP SFCs welded onto my SS and my ORY tucked tight to the chassis still sticks down lower than the SFCs.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    Okay. one more question. Are the UMI 3 point subframe connectors considered tubed based on the round design or are they boxed?? I hear that boxed are stronger but will lower your car by about a half an inch.

JR.
    Tubular or boxed usually refers to the material used to make the SFCs. UMI SFCs are tubular, tuck right into the chassis and you don't lose any ground clearance. I don't know about the SLPs: when you say lower, SFCs don't actually make your car become closer to the ground - the ride height remains stock. You may lose some ground clearance if the SFCs don't fit close to the bottom of the car and become subject to scraping over driveway entrances, etc. Also, if you're planning to install headers or modify your exhaust system in the future check with the SFC maker to see if there are any known or potential clearance problems with the exhaust components.

Black
    2000 Camaro SS

I had my weld-in UMI 3-point SFCs installed the other week and love them! Great fit and they did wonders to stiffen up the car. Difference is really night and day in the handling of the car. Plus, it eliminated a lot of squeeking noises coming from the car. UMI FTW!!!!

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcar View Post
    Greed? I don't know the reason why - perhaps SLP comes before UMI in the alphabet is their only justification. I actually had UMI install their parts for me - they fit perfectly with no tweaking whatsoever. UMI actually uses their stuff on their own personal cars & on a drag race car which they sponsor - does SLP even sponsor a race vehicle any more? Can't argue with what works for less money.... UMI also runs a very cost-efficient operation in PA, probably at a much lower cost than SLP. Since I live in Jersey I've also physically been to SLP down in Toms River. UMI does their own fabrication/manufacturing work, not sure if SLP rolls their own.
    Who sells UMI?
    JIGGER RACIN'
    2000 Camaro SS, vert., auto., LS6 intake manifold, SLP lid, K&N filter, SLP LoudMouth II, C5 Z06 replica 17x9.5 rims
    1/4 mile time = 13.310 sec. @ 105.22 mph, 2.051 60'

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2939958

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...amarolaeft.jpg

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    Who sells UMI?
    They sell direct mostly - I got my stuff from them, not a dealer. Do a search on UMI Performance and you'll find their Web site. They also have some nice package deals.

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcar View Post
    They sell direct mostly - I got my stuff from them, not a dealer. Do a search on UMI Performance and you'll find their Web site. They also have some nice package deals.
    Thanx, I appreciate it.

Love ther avatar, is there one like that for Camaro.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    Thanx, I appreciate it.

Love ther avatar, is there one like that for Camaro.
    I don't know: my avatar is one that's offered by LS1.com.

Thread Information