Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

black
    2001 firebird formula

SLP Bilstein / Eibach spring shock package

Has anyone heard anything about the SLP Bilstein & Eibach spring package (for 98-01 f-car) on their website for $699? Is it a good package for the $$$? How is the ride compare to stock? SLP said that the springs are not the Pro series or Sportlines, but they will lower the car about an inch. I have the Pro series springs with stock shocks & the car rides horrible...very harsh over bumps, and want a better ride.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

just go and block the slp site now. go call sam at stranoparts.com he can get you what and all you need. dont trust any thing slp tells you. the best way to go is koin's and strano springs imo.

slp=

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

it's an OK package... but the valving of the shocks aren't great... although better than stock, you are better off getting a good set of shocks on stock springs than going w/ the SLP package.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

black
    2001 firebird formula

Thanks. I don't plan to autocross my car. Most Michigan roads are straight lines anyway. I just want a suspension system that will improve my everyday ride quality, and lower the car about 1 inch from stock. I don't want to buy junk, but I can't afford to spend thousands of $$$ on race spec parts that I will rarely take advantage of.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird2001 View Post
    Thanks. I don't plan to autocross my car. Most Michigan roads are straight lines anyway. I just want a suspension system that will improve my everyday ride quality, and lower the car about 1 inch from stock. I don't want to buy junk, but I can't afford to spend thousands of $$$ on race spec parts that I will rarely take advantage of.
    a great alternative is to get Koni SA for the front and use the lower-perch location (Koni SA has 2 perch locations allowing for stock height or ~3/4" lowering) while keeping your stock springs... you'll keep the confort of the stock spring rates, but a well damped system with those shocks... and get some Bilstein HD for the rear... and do the hose mod in the rear (for same lowering).. so you spend a bit more on shocks, but no need to get springs, making it cheaper and a better system altogether.

ONYX BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

I put that package on my 2000 SS.

Great on the exit ramps!

The rear felt like an unloaded F-350 over the slightest bumps.

Put some Double adjustable Strange shocks on it and that helped, sold the rear Bilsteins.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS View Post
    a great alternative is to get Koni SA for the front and use the lower-perch location (Koni SA has 2 perch locations allowing for stock height or ~3/4" lowering) while keeping your stock springs... you'll keep the confort of the stock spring rates, but a well damped system with those shocks... and get some Bilstein HD for the rear... and do the hose mod in the rear (for same lowering).. so you spend a bit more on shocks, but no need to get springs, making it cheaper and a better system altogether.
    IMO, for the rear get Koni SAs,or Bilstein sport shocks for a 3rd Gen. camaro/firebird.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

SLP Bilstein Shock package

I suspect it is very similar to what was available as an option on my 2002 Firehawk. I did like the feel of the Bilstein option compared to my stock 2000 Formula. It was very different. I don't think they put in the Eibach springs though. I suspect that would make it even better. NOw the 2002 Firehawk is totaled (stupid Asian ran a red light!) and I only have the Formula and a 2008 Corvette Z06. DAMN! I do wish I still had my Firehawk.

Let me know how you like it, I might do the same on the 2000 Formula.

Thanks,

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Exclamation

The SLP springs, and Bilstein were designed to work together.
    FYI, If you're wanting to lower you car then you'll be disappointed in the SLP springs, because most people don't think they lowered their car at all. But if you're looking for a stock ride height suspension that rides and handles good,then you'll be happy! But the rear 3rd generation bilstein sport shocks will still have better valving for the rear.

Red
    2001 Camaro Z28

I bought the SLP Bilstein's and Hotchkis springs to also lower it 1". Specs are very close to SLP eibach's so it should work fine. Now I just need to get them installed.

Which one?
    73;79;81;84;88;98

Hi, I just picked up an Eibach Pro lowering kit. Does anyone know if the Bilstein Hd's would be a good matchup for this kit? Any other suggestions? My stock suspension is shot and rattling pretty good over bumps. Got a good deal on the Eibachs so i thought i should upgrade...

Thanks
    F Small

Electric Blue Pearlcoat
    1995 Trans Am(LS1 Convert

Quote Originally Posted by VtBandit View Post
    Hi, I just picked up an Eibach Pro lowering kit. Does anyone know if the Bilstein Hd's would be a good matchup for this kit? Any other suggestions? My stock suspension is shot and rattling pretty good over bumps. Got a good deal on the Eibachs so i thought i should upgrade...

Thanks
    F Small
    Absolutley! If your gonna repalce the springs you should do the shocks as well...I went with standard Bilstiens with my pro-kit due to money factors...but Sam Strano can actually get them revalved specifically for that spring...this is the best route to go...

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityTA View Post
    Absolutley! If your gonna repalce the springs you should do the shocks as well...I went with standard Bilstiens with my pro-kit due to money factors...but Sam Strano can actually get them revalved specifically for that spring...this is the best route to go...
    I'm sorry to say but Sam doesn't do the custom valving with the Bilsteins anymore.

Electric Blue Pearlcoat

Quote Originally Posted by Blue28 View Post
    I'm sorry to say but Sam doesn't do the custom valving with the Bilsteins anymore.

Which one?
    73;79;81;84;88;98

Does anyone on here actually run the eibach lowering spring with the Bilstein Hd's? Will that be a good setup? What other things should i consider with this setup? Do the alignment shops know how to adjust for the lowered suspension or do i need to give them specific info? Any help is greatly appreciated. I am learning as i go here and have never done too much with the suspension...

Thanks
    F Small

Electric Blue Pearlcoat

Quote Originally Posted by VtBandit View Post
    Does anyone on here actually run the eibach lowering spring with the Bilstein Hd's? Will that be a good setup? What other things should i consider with this setup? Do the alignment shops know how to adjust for the lowered suspension or do i need to give them specific info? Any help is greatly appreciated. I am learning as i go here and have never done too much with the suspension...

Thanks
    F Small
    Thats is exactly what I run...its decent...Its not the best but if you are a "baller on a budget" and you can not affford the best, but at the same time you want quality...its, well, the way I went...

Which one?
    73;79;81;84;88;98

Ok - hopefully i won't drive you nuts. You said you went with standard bilsteins. Are the standards the hd's? I see in various research that the bilstein sports are recommended for lowered cars, however the bilstein site does not list anything but the HD for the 93 and up TA...Are there any better options or should i just use the HD's? I don't want to hit the many potholes in Vt like a heavy duty truck if i can help it. The stocker suspension already practically knocks the wind out of you over the crappy roads here...I realize i won't be getting a cadillac ride and all, but some semblance of a ride that won't rip out the underpinnings would be nice... I have the springs i just need to make up my mind what shocks/struts to buy now, but don't want to shell high dollars for the wrong ones. Is there another thread that gives these options so i don't keep throwing rookie questions at y'all? HAHA!

Electric Blue Pearlcoat

Yea HD's are the only option, not that its a bad one bro...bilstien is a world leader in this shit...I ahve heard of some guys going with 82-92 shocks for the rear...I cant remember if that was for a stiffer and smoother ride though...you may just want ti tyoe that in google and see what comes up...or search the site.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by SteelCityTA View Post
    Yea HD's are the only option, not that its a bad one bro...bilstien is a world leader in this shit...I ahve heard of some guys going with 82-92 shocks for the rear...I cant remember if that was for a stiffer and smoother ride though...you may just want ti tyoe that in google and see what comes up...or search the site.
    If you've ever looked at Stranos koni packages like the 4/3, the rears are for a 82-92 (3rd gen).

Which one?
    73;79;81;84;88;98

I just got an email back from Strano, seems he does have the revalved bilsteins still... Now, if i do the eibach pro lowering kit and the revalved Strano bilsteins, is it nec to change the torque arm? I have seen some threads that talk about this, but others seem to say nothing. I am not looking to spend a mint or go on the autocross, just want a smooth tight handling car for the many cornered Vermont roads...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information