Black
    02 SS #8850

Silicone spray for bushings?

I've read a few other threads on here about a nasty squeaking coming from the rear, pretty much whenever the car moves. I got under the rear and couldn't quite pinpoint the source, so I sprayed all the bushings (control arms and sway bar). Not long after, the noise was much worse. Is silicone the correct lubricant to use for alleviating a bushing noise? Is WD-40 better?

Just before this happened, I had one side jacked up quite higher than the other, so I'm wondering if maybe I tweaked one of the bushings into a different position so now it's squeaking.
    Last edited by slade8200; 09-05-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

There is a real sticky grease for suspension bushings that comes with most aftermarket poly kits that seems to work well. You have to remove the mounting bolts though and lower the control arm or panhard bar on each end to apply it to the face of each bushing. Applying some anti-seize to the shank on the bolts is also a good idea while you have it all apart. Absent this, I have used synthetic caliper grease anytime I have serviced my suspension and it seems to work well and lasts. This being said, either spray silicone or WD-40 should alleviate most noises if it is able to penetrate the bushing. Might be a good idea to pinpoint the area of the noise and just drop that piece to see what is going on. Your car is 10 years old now, so not unusual to experience something like this. If you drop a control arm, just be safe doing it as a rear supported on a set of jackstands will move once an arm is unbolted. Just do one end at a time and things shouldn't move too much.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Go to UMI and get some greasable bushings. They work great and if you hear a squeek just hit them with a little grease and you are good to go.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Go to UMI and get some greasable bushings. They work great and if you hear a squeek just hit them with a little grease and you are good to go.
    Thanks Keith!

Silicone should work for rubber, Teflon for Poly. Most of the poly bushings have a Teflon in the formulation as an anti-squeak...
    Ramey Womer
    Product Development Engineer
    ramey@umiperformance.com
    Join us on Facebook!

Black
    02 SS #8850

Can't seem to find bushings on the site for an 02 Camaro.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Are you still running your stock suspension pieces? If so, it's a good idea to upgrade. As stated, UMI has both greasable poly bushings and a newer style roto joint. I run all their stuff on our car and have zero suspension noise. Plus, the difference in the feel of your car is something that you will very much appreciate.

Thanks Jeff.

Yes, I should have stated that UMI arms come with bushing inserts as opposed to the sleeved, press-in style common with poly replacements. Our arms actually use the outer sleeve as an integral part of the bushing.

Two of the common stock replacement brands are Prothane and Energy suspension if you plan to go the stock component route.

later

ramey

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by UMI Sales View Post
    Thanks Keith!

Silicone should work for rubber, Teflon for Poly. Most of the poly bushings have a Teflon in the formulation as an anti-squeak...
    Sorry, I have your sway bar bushings and I have never had to lube them so I just used the term grease in a generic sense.

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    Sorry, I have your sway bar bushings and I have never had to lube them so I just used the term grease in a generic sense.
    Oh, no problem. By thanks I meant thanks for referencing UMI in a forum post.

Have a nice weekend. This is a great time of the year to have fun in our LS powered cars for sure.

ramey

Thread Information