Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Red
    98 Trans Am

Shocks and Struts AKA dampeners

well im in the market for some shocks and struts. Ive been looking into a set of KYB AGX. they are affordable. But what are good shocks for our cars?

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

price a issue ?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    But what are good shocks for our cars?
    Koni

Expensive. But worth EVERY penny.

Navy Blue Metallic
    `98 Formula M6 HdTp

Koni's are the best esp. if you ever consider lowering the car.
    If you plan to stay at stock height then the KYB's will work.
    Craig
    Semi Retired Street Racer
    2012 Lava Red Mustang GT Coupe Brembo/3.73's
    Build Date 3/17/11, Last Lava Red GT

Gone but not forgoten
    NBM `98 Formula M6 HdTp
    1 of 1 Build Date 3/12/98

Red
    98 Trans Am

Price is sort of an issue. I just blew about 700 on exhaust mods so i kinda gotta take it easy on costs now. For now im keeping it at stock ride height. I look at most if not all the shocks on Summit to get an idea on cost. Um yeah, Koni and Bilstien are a bit out of my price range with 300+ per shock. unless ebay can show me the light, ive been looking at rockauto for now. Im not sure though if they ship by set or individual. with the KYB AGX at $105 for fronts, i think that for a set. Cause sunmmit list them at 50-60 each. I just want a little insit on whats good with a affordability in mind.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Price is sort of an issue. I just blew about 700 on exhaust mods so i kinda gotta take it easy on costs now. For now im keeping it at stock ride height. I look at most if not all the shocks on Summit to get an idea on cost. Um yeah, Koni and Bilstien are a bit out of my price range with 300+ per shock. unless ebay can show me the light, ive been looking at rockauto for now. Im not sure though if they ship by set or individual. with the KYB AGX at $105 for fronts, i think that for a set. Cause sunmmit list them at 50-60 each. I just want a little insit on whats good with a affordability in mind.
    I have KYB's all around on my 4-wheel independant tuner car. I like the ride they provide when just cruising and I also like thier firmness when I've driven it agressively.. My tuner car is a w-body car and weighs a hair over what my camaro weighs. Hope this helps good luck..
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-02-2010 at 06:16 PM.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Ive been considering KYB but not sure what anybodys take is on them. still trying to see what my options are.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Ive been considering KYB but not sure what anybodys take is on them. still trying to see what my options are.
    2nd biggest regret for a mod I ever wasted on my car. I should have done it correctly and not gone the cheap route on shocks. I have been thoroughly disappointed with KYBs. I have already swapped the rears to Koni's, will do the fronts soon too.

Keeps
    You
    Bouncing

^truth

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    2nd biggest regret for a mod I ever wasted on my car. I should have done it correctly and not gone the cheap route on shocks. I have been thoroughly disappointed with KYBs. I have already swapped the rears to Koni's, will do the fronts soon too.

Keeps
    You
    Bouncing

^truth
    I know nothing of the bouncing bro but KYB's worked exactly how I wanted on my tuner car. But I can't tell you about them on an F-bod and cars with live rear axles. IMHO a 4-wheel independant is a better setup for handling all around when compaired to a live axle (pickup) setup. I still have factory DeCarbons on the 01 tho
    Last edited by Smittro; 02-07-2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: spelling

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

Price is sort of an issue. I just blew about 700 on exhaust mods so i kinda gotta take it easy on costs now.
    sooo you spent $700 on some bent steel tubes and now wanna cut costs when it comes to the parts that control overall ride quality, handling, and launching? just trying to make a point. i see people do that very often, just something to think about.

Um yeah, Koni and Bilstien are a bit out of my price range with 300+ per shock.
    Koni prices are normally listed individually, bilsteins go for about $400 a for all 4

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post

Keeps
    You
    Bouncing

^truth
    How many miles on those Koni's since you bought them from me??
    Like....40?

They are SO much better. I had the Koni's on with ProKit springs...and the Koni's were a huge upgrade. Then I went to Strano springs and it now rides better than when stock.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    How many miles on those Koni's since you bought them from me??
    Like....40?

They are SO much better. I had the Koni's on with ProKit springs...and the Koni's were a huge upgrade. Then I went to Strano springs and it now rides better than when stock.
    Had you added one more zero(400 miles) you probably would have hit bullseye

I will probably change out the front suspension and front KYBs sometime this summer and fix that little regret on the Camaro. Probably the last bit of money I spend on it for a while too.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by creeper View Post
    sooo you spent $700 on some bent steel tubes and now wanna cut costs when it comes to the parts that control overall ride quality, handling, and launching? just trying to make a point. i see people do that very often, just something to think about.

Koni prices are normally listed individually, bilsteins go for about $400 a for all 4
    I havnt bought anything yet in regard to shocks. im just want to get a little info on items before i buy. and as for suspension and chassis mod, just read my signature.
    Turbo build 99.9% complete

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

:yippie: going to hopefully order my konis and strano springs this morning if i can get a hold of strano.

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

I havnt bought anything yet in regard to shocks. im just want to get a little info on items before i buy. and as for suspension and chassis mod, just read my signature.
    yes i saw, just trying to put shocks in perspective. if you can afford them do it right the first time. if you're keeping stock springs bilstein HD's should do the job well.

Medium Red Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by creeper View Post
    yes i saw, just trying to put shocks in perspective. if you can afford them do it right the first time. if you're keeping stock springs bilstein HD's should do the job well.
    So if i want to keep the stock ride height and springs and mostly a daily driver, Bilstein's we be good? or is there something cheaper?

navy blue metallic
    2000 trans am

yep. bilsteins are definitely an upgrade from stock. don't really have much experience with anything else so i can't comment.

Red
    98 Trans Am

I do want the best but a compromise has to be made. unfortunatly im a normal person without sponsorship that wants nice things. I already used my budget for exhaust mods. Unfortunatly the shocks (mostly the rears) are a thing of concern now. If anything, just the rear for now until I have enough for the fronts.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

i hear that if u are staying stock height then def get bilsteins as they are the best shocks to compliment the stock springs. this is what strano recommended to me and this is what i did and i couldnt be happier. my car was all over the road before with the stock 57k mile shocks especially on the highway it would be hard to control and bumps were harsh but all of that is better now. if i had a 2000 up car i would at least lower the front by getting konis with the lower spring perch but on 98-99 cars that sit lower in the front id just get the bilsteins all around and leave the springs alone.

White
    1997 Firebird Formula WS6

hey Siciliano15 did you get the bilstein HDs or the SLP bilsteins?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information