Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

shocks and struts?

This is a discussion on shocks and struts? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; im pretty sure im going to need them within the next few months along with a new air dam hah ...

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Union Beach, NJ
    Posts
    145

    triple black
    02 z28 m6

    shocks and struts?

    im pretty sure im going to need them within the next few months
    along with a new air dam
    hah


    any suggestions?

    normally i try and do my own research first
    but summit has 3 pages worth of product.

    a friend suggested kyb gas
    but there are too many for me to focus on

    i give up
    i tried deleting this post and putting it where its supposed to go but im lazy
    Last edited by emotionalpiracy; 12-11-2007 at 11:33 PM.

  2. #2
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,519

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    moving this to where you'll get more responses.

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brookville, PA
    Posts
    547

    White
    2001 Z28

    The only KYB's I'd consider using (which is why they are the only KYB's you'll find on my site) are the AGX's. Other options that are workable are Tokico's, and of course Koni's.

    Some details that are important here. The Tokico's and AGX's aren't great shocks, they are "ok". The AGX's are the better of the two if you are going to add lowering springs at some point, the Tokico's are really best kept on with only stock springs.

    You'll notice I did not mention Bilstein HD's. Two reasons, one hugely important one. That is they messed them all up about a year or so ago (actually a bit longer now), and took what was a well damped replacement shock for stock springs and made them much more like the DeCarbon's on the car OE. And there aren't any around because they realized they screwed up and can't get the old ones built again for some reason.

    The BEST shocks for the car are Koni's. They aren't cheap, for a reason. The adjustment is a lot better than the AGX's. The quality is a lot better. They can be used with stock or lowering springs. And honestly, the way to the best handling and riding car is through quality dampers. The stock shocks are bad, and are responsible for most of the issues folks don't like. The disconnected, vague feel. The really fast generation of roll and pitch. The jumpy rear over not-so-smooth pavement. The "two-stage" turn-in when the front and rear just don't feel like they are connected to the same car.

    I'll simply add this. While folks sometimes freak over price of Koni's, I see it as an investment. Frankly good shocks do much more for the car than any other supsension component (and I sell off of those as well). And in all reality, they don't cost any more than a good set of tires, which will wear out in 15-20k miles.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

  4. #4
    Cookie Monster LukesSpeedShop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Watertown, New York
    Age
    31
    Posts
    126

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    The more and more I read on gettin new shocks, the more I get confused. Ive read just about every message within the past year about "what shocks to get" but im still confused. Its so hard to buy a product that you have to put so much money towards and live with for a few years. I'm going to say that my budget is going to be around $400 for all 4 corners. I know I can get blistins for about that much, and the ASX's for a bit less, but with adjustablity. I have a 02 Camaro that Im going to lower 1.4" that is a daily driver, and i might, might take it to an autox a couple times a year.

    I mean if Sam Strano sells the ASX's at all, they have to be worth the money spent right?

    We all wish we could get Koni's but its just not an option for a lot of us.

    Still confused, and wish there were more members like Sam that really explains things out, instead of saying this and that about products without any reasonable explaination.

  5. #5
    Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,485

    Blood Red
    Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by kingdaveofblair View Post
    The more and more I read on gettin new shocks, the more I get confused. Ive read just about every message within the past year about "what shocks to get" but im still confused. Its so hard to buy a product that you have to put so much money towards and live with for a few years. I'm going to say that my budget is going to be around $400 for all 4 corners. I know I can get blistins for about that much, and the ASX's for a bit less, but with adjustablity. I have a 02 Camaro that Im going to lower 1.4" that is a daily driver, and i might, might take it to an autox a couple times a year.

    I mean if Sam Strano sells the ASX's at all, they have to be worth the money spent right?

    We all wish we could get Koni's but its just not an option for a lot of us.

    Still confused, and wish there were more members like Sam that really explains things out, instead of saying this and that about products without any reasonable explaination.
    It is just that the best shocks for our cars are not AGX's as their rates to dampen are not good imo.

    For your budget get the Bilstiens.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brookville, PA
    Posts
    547

    White
    2001 Z28

    I disagree.... Folks tend to get stuck in their ways, and I know Bilstein is name we all associate with "good", but you have to review the situation.

    Bilstein, a while back, changed their valving to make it "better", much like Coca-Cola did in the '80's with "New" Coke... which sucked. Same thing here, as far as I'm concerned they took a useful shock and made a mess of it. And they finally realized it, which is why Bilstein's are on a huge backorder (since March and still counting), because they can't get the previous ones build again for some reason. So to review. The Bilstein's you see in today's catalog and that you might find in some corner somewhere are NOT the decent ones available not so long ago.

    While I never thought I'd actually say this, I think there are other options to look at not because they've gotten better themselves, but because Bilstein fell below them in they way the work.

    You can peruse my shock page on my website, look around the prices are there. If you have ANY questions, call me.

  7. #7
    Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,485

    Blood Red
    Z28

    I was, of course, referring to the old stlye HD's.

    @Sam does this mean that they will continue to make the oldstyle HD's or are they a thing of the past?

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brookville, PA
    Posts
    547

    White
    2001 Z28

    At this point, I can't say... Haven't make the "old" ones for quite a while. Don't know what will happen until they actually show up again.

  9. #9
    Member Speed Psychosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    28
    Posts
    499

    Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    Some details that are important here. The Tokico's and AGX's aren't great shocks, they are "ok". The AGX's are the better of the two if you are going to add lowering springs at some point, the Tokico's are really best kept on with only stock springs.
    Tokico blues or illumina? because I heard the illuminas were very nice, but that was for a different car...

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brookville, PA
    Posts
    547

    White
    2001 Z28

    They do not make the Illumina for the 4th gen front.....

  11. #11
    Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Millerton, PA
    Posts
    5,144

    2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

    Sam I tried calling you today actually, about 2:30 in the P.M., I actually figured you'd be closed anyways so I didn't bother with leaving a message as I was just checking on the availability of the HD's and some of your opinions on this very subject. However, I now know that I won't be looking for these said bilsteins anymore. I too have factored in about 4-450$ on a set of shocks/struts and do not plan to lower my car at all.

  12. #12
    Member Speed Psychosis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    28
    Posts
    499

    Red
    98 T/A M6 w/lid and LM1

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    They do not make the Illumina for the 4th gen front.....
    strange I actually have seen the kit containing all 4 struts on ebay, on what I thought seemed to be a legit store. but I'd trust you more than ebay. I wonder why they would design the rears and not front

  13. #13
    Mike The Guz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Lawndale, CA
    Posts
    633

    Artic White
    2002 Camaro SS

    Go koni's. Best shock for an F Body. Listen to Sam. He knows what he is talking about.
    2002 Artic White SS 35th Wheels|Full Hotchkis Suspension|Koni SA|Magnaflow CME|SLP lid|www.fquick.com/The_Guz

  14. #14
    Cookie Monster LukesSpeedShop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Watertown, New York
    Age
    31
    Posts
    126

    Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by The Guz View Post
    Go koni's. Best shock for an F Body. Listen to Sam. He knows what he is talking about.

    If I had the $800 for konis, then Id get them. I know that they would be ideal, but im looking for something within my budget, which the konis are not. So im not looking for the best, maybe 2nd best, or 3rd best.

    Hot Rodding on a budget.

  15. #15
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brookville, PA
    Posts
    547

    White
    2001 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Sam I tried calling you today actually, about 2:30 in the P.M., I actually figured you'd be closed anyways so I didn't bother with leaving a message as I was just checking on the availability of the HD's and some of your opinions on this very subject. However, I now know that I won't be looking for these said bilsteins anymore. I too have factored in about 4-450$ on a set of shocks/struts and do not plan to lower my car at all.
    Feel free to call me again. I'm not generally around on weekends, but I am during the week. I'm more than happy to help you with the options.

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brookville, PA
    Posts
    547

    White
    2001 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by kingdaveofblair View Post
    If I had the $800 for konis, then Id get them. I know that they would be ideal, but im looking for something within my budget, which the konis are not. So im not looking for the best, maybe 2nd best, or 3rd best.

    Hot Rodding on a budget.

    Understandable. Just a few "devil's advocate" notes:

    --Koni's start @ $740 a set. While "close" to $800, it is about 7.5% off of that $800 price.

    --Hotrodding on the cheap is a-okay. But I'd caution you that picking shocks is no different than any other parts you could buy that have a lot of "levels" pricing wise. Cheap is usually cheap for a reason. Aveo's are cheap because they aren't Corvette's.

  17. #17
    Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Millerton, PA
    Posts
    5,144

    2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    Feel free to call me again. I'm not generally around on weekends, but I am during the week. I'm more than happy to help you with the options.
    Will do, but I may wait til' after the holidays. I've got a few items I'm still saving a bit for.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brookville, PA
    Posts
    547

    White
    2001 Z28

    No sweat... I don't plan on going anywhere.

  19. #19
    King 0f n00bz shady milkman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shepherd, Michigan
    Age
    29
    Posts
    11,775

    blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    No sweat... I don't plan on going anywhere.
    hey sam. can i shoot you a email, i have some questions



  20. #20
    Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    38
    Posts
    9,485

    Blood Red
    Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    hey sam. can i shoot you a email, i have some questions


    Phone him Shady as he rarely answers e-mails....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question: what shocks and struts to use??
    By timothyodell2525 in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-29-2011, 08:40 AM
  2. Do we have shocks or struts?
    By Street Fighter in forum General Help
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-14-2011, 08:26 PM
  3. Shocks or struts?
    By jeffsredt/a in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-21-2009, 05:40 PM
  4. What shocks/struts?
    By JwMonE99 in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-25-2009, 08:59 PM
  5. Shocks\struts Best Buy??
    By natess in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-17-2005, 03:48 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •