Shocks & Springs for Drag AND Autocross

I'm setting up my 2002 WS6 as an all around car that I take to the strip sometimes and autocross a fair bit. But I'm wondering what shocks and springs to put on.

I'm thinking something adjustable would be a good idea, but I have no idea how to adjust shocks and weather or not its an operation I want to get into doing/undoing constantly.

And then there is the matter of springs, the stock springs will let me get about half of an inch drop if I use the lower setting on a pair of Koni's and the "rubber spacer" mod in the rear will do about the same...but I would still be using the stock spring rate and I'm not sure if that is right for what I want to do with the car.
    As far as I can tell, all other aftermarket springs drop the car farther than I want to go....1/2" is about my max allowable drop. I do hear good things about the Strano springs for autocrossing, but would there be a way to put in some kind of spacer so that they don't drop me down so far?

And lastly...I see some aftermarket coil overs that advertise adjustable ride height, and rate, etc....does anyone have any experience with how easily they can be used and how effective they are?
    Last edited by Intrepidman; 05-18-2010 at 07:06 AM.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I will guess strano's and koni's.

My car feels great all around...and I do drag race it.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

your best all around combo would be koni and stranos...but really what you need to ask yourself is how much of each would you do? running konis with stock springs might be a happy medium

autocross is more important to me, as the drag strip is ridiculously far away from me, so I don't go often.

The issue with the strano springs, is mostly about drop. They set the car down over an inch, where as I can not go more than 1/2" lower.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Is the 1/2" drop a regulated rule in the class of Auto-crossing you do?

Is the 1/2" drop a regulated rule in the class of Auto-crossing you do?
    Its a requirement to get down my street. My area is speedbump happy and the only way to clear them is to ride high enough to drive straight over them without "high centering"...they are placed so they can't be avoided or taken cross corner.
    I've measured, 3/4" is all the clearence I have at stock ride height, so a half inch drop is max.

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Intrepidman View Post
    Its a requirement to get down my street. My area is speedbump happy and the only way to clear them is to ride high enough to drive straight over them without "high centering"...they are placed so they can't be avoided or taken cross corner.
    I've measured, 3/4" is all the clearence I have at stock ride height, so a half inch drop is max.
    well excuse my french but you are fucked i think that will be a real problem for you than...for your goals etc..the koni/strano combo would be killer.....but it looks like for your needs of have no more than a 1" drop you are limited to stock springs....keep in mind..almost every aftermarket spring you get will sag .......the only 1 i know that doesnt is stranos ......so keep that in mind...he might drop you 1 1/2" or w/e the drop is....but that is how much it will be dropped today or 5 years from now..where as others might claim a 1" drop now...but in a few months or a few years it might be close to 2"

Light Pewter Metallic
    2K Camaro Z28

Go with just SA Konis. Lower perch (3/4") on the front and hose mod at the back (3/4").

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by bene View Post
    Go with just SA Konis. Lower perch (3/4") on the front and hose mod at the back (3/4").

Also, if you can find some 1LE front springs, which have slightly higher spring rate (360 lb.in.) that would be a plus!

victory red
    2007 zo6

have you ran this car in a auto-x ? does it plow/understeer or oversteer back end goes out first ? you talked about changing springs,shocks lowering etc.none of thats easy, and may not help at all ? after you run some auto x you will find out what you like, and need... first bigest thing is sway bars, start at the rear,good alingment with some neg. camber on the fronts.. sticky tires more air pressure 35to 40 lbs, warm them up go around in circles, before going on course.. walk the course listen to others comments, take this on on the left or right for a reason ,to enter next gate in better spot !! always check oil, make sure its full,,. motors are not cheap. i have run with local corvette club for years, have seen someone come in with a stock camaro, and beat us all !!! its not about power ,best driver wins . rkvette

98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by rkvette View Post
    have you ran this car in a auto-x ? does it plow/understeer or oversteer back end goes out first ? you talked about changing springs,shocks lowering etc.none of thats easy, and may not help at all
    for a vette this is true.

for a F body however shocks and springs are really needed. besides that all good information
    mods- suncoast creations hood with functional lt1 style airbox, ls6 intake, QTP longtube headers, QTP ORY, UMI SFC, Adj. LCA with relo brackets, UMI adj. panhard bar, Koni SA and strano springs,Torq Thrust M 17s 9.5 and 10.5 with nitto 555Rs, tuned by Frost
    Quote Originally Posted by Modulistic View Post
    sometimes you get owned, sometimes you own.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

mabe you should look into an air ride set up so you can adjust it.

Yes, I have run the car a few times, and it does understeer badly around the tight spots...its fairly neutral around long highspeed sweeping turns, but that is mostly due to me still accelerating while taking those corners.
    Overall I would like to get the front to plow a lot less.

1LE springs sound interesting, but is there any reliable source for getting a new set?

Thread Information