Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

SHOCKS - After lowering my car.

I am going to be lowering my trans am here pretty soon but have been overwhelmed with trying to choose a shock. I have not totally decided on the springs yet (Stranos, BMR, Vogtland, or Hotchkis). If I was loaded, this would not be such a problem, but I tend to be a little on the cheap side. The Tokico's seem to be fairly in my price range but don't know how they handle lowering springs and such. I hear about the revalved Bilsteins but don't know where to get that done or where to order, or even how much it is. I am pretty lost. Any help would be good!!!!! Gimme some opinions or facts and maybe I can get things in gear. Thanks in advance guys

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Revalves are done by Sam Strano as "one-offs" taylor made for your needs.

Contact Sam by phone to discuss your options of shocks/spring combo.

http://www.stranoparts.com/

Don't buy the Tokico's they are crap on our cars.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

The strano revalved bilstein's are like $500 and his springs are like 200-230 ish? I believe he built his springs to run with Koni's though

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Looks like I may have to step up a bit. I was hoping to be around 500-600 for both shocks and springs. But that was before I started looking into things. Any other options anyone suggests?

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

lets start with why are you lowering? Is it for looks or percieved performance? If just for looks, wait until your budget is where you need it to do it properly.

If for performance-consider getting a few other components in the meantime, like a front swaybar and lower control arms. You'll instantly notice a more predictable ride while you wait to get your lower set up

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    The strano revalved bilstein's are like $500 and his springs are like 200-230 ish? I believe he built his springs to run with Koni's though
    Is this for me?

The revalves are customized for any spring you want that is the whole idea.

The dampers are 're-valved' to match the spring choice perfectly. The negative is that they are set to match one spring only.

Konis are best for people who change their set-ups and do not have to get new shocks every time they change out their set-ups as konis can be adjusted to match (almost) any spring.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    lets start with why are you lowering? Is it for looks or percieved performance? If just for looks, wait until your budget is where you need it to do it properly.

If for performance-consider getting a few other components in the meantime, like a front swaybar and lower control arms. You'll instantly notice a more predictable ride while you wait to get your lower set up
    It will be for looks basically. I will be putting some new wheels on the car and at the same time wanted to lower it to kill that gap between the fender and the tire. How horrible is it for the car to not change out the shocks when you change springs? I really dont plan on doing this, but just curious what all would happen?

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by freakinstreakin View Post
    It will be for looks basically. I will be putting some new wheels on the car and at the same time wanted to lower it to kill that gap between the fender and the tire. How horrible is it for the car to not change out the shocks when you change springs? I really dont plan on doing this, but just curious what all would happen?
    you'll be like me and will hate every turn you make. [wobbly and feels like it'll break loose through curves, even long sweeps] I bought my car lowered with eibach ProKit on stock shocks...i used to have a very nice ws.6 with Koni's and stock springs and some other goodies-ohhhh i miss that car

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by SexOnWheels View Post
    The revalves are customized for any spring you want that is the whole idea.

The dampers are 're-valved' to match the spring choice perfectly. The negative is that they are set to match one spring only.
    i forgot, you're right...so they have some positives to them.

Pewter
    2000 Formula 6spd

so basically you say "yo sam im getting your springs throw in a set of revalved bilsteins to match them" is that how it wosks?

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

SLP also sells revalved Bilsteins; I have them in my car with stock springs and they're fine. I would also suggest Koni SA's. If you're going to all the trouble to replace the springs, replace your shocks too at the same while everything is taken apart. You'll save a lot on labor by doing everything all at the same time. Spend a little more money and buy a better shock than Tokico; you'll be much happier in the long run instead of buying a cheaper product that you may be unhappy with in the long haul. Tokicos work fine (my experience with other cars I've owned) for about 5,000 miles, but then they become soft and lose their damping power very quickly after that. Bilsteins work fine for a long long time; they do wear out too, but after nearly 70 - 80,000 miles. And, when they do wear out, they'll replace them free of charge because they have a lifetime warrantee. They've replaced the shocks on my 4Runner (shocks only, not labor) without any hassles after 65,000 miles. Can't beat that.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

I run the Suspension Techniques package 420#F/162#R, with a HD shock up front, I use a custom shock on the back, which is valved extremely tight. 9,000lb GVW rated shock for the twisties, circle track and AutoX. Of course, I am running 315's on all 4 corners too.

Thread Information