Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

which shocks?

This is a discussion on which shocks? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Maybe they were using the LT1 v6 springs? Those seem to have a hair less springrate than the v8 LT1 ...

Maybe they were using the LT1 v6 springs? Those seem to have a hair less springrate than the v8 LT1 springs

EDIT: This response is a follow up to my other response that has to be approved by moderation before it gets posted I guess. Need to wait for my previous response

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

It could be the LT1 springs, I haven't done the swap myself but on other threads I've seen members swear by them. The Bilsteins are alright but I haven't heard very good things about the KYB's.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Budget bilsteins shocks slp's or preferably the strano hd's. If money is not a problem then koni double adjustables.

White
    2002 Z28

My brother works for KYB so take this with that in mind.

I have right at 62,000 miles on my car. It was diving more than i liked on stops and just didn't feel tight in corners. I'm not much for springs, I like the softer feel of stock but wanted a firmer sportier ride than I had.

I bought the KYB Gas-A-Just which is their better shock, not their best which is very comprable to a Koni. I paid about $300 at the tirerack.com. They are great. They firmed the car up in cornering but softened the ride over railroad tracks and other normal road bumps. I got a better 60' at the track with them too. I can't say enough about them.

My brother got me a free set for my daily driver, a Cavalier. The set he got me was the KYB GR2. They have about 10,000 miles on them. When I originally put them on I was really upset. They were knock a filling out stiff. After 10,000 miles they have softened a bit but are still stiffer than I like. With 84,000 miles on the car now I'll probably never have to do struts on it again, the struts will be just right at about 150k LOL.

Seriously though the Gas-A-Just are great for our cars to improve the stock ride and handling without springs.

White
    2001 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by RedVertTA View Post
    They are NOT drag shocks. QA1 makes 3 types of shocks, single adjustable, double adjustable, and drag specific shocks. They also have 3 types of springs to choose from, 275 lb. front spring for drag racing, 300 lb. for daily drivers and those in between, and 325 for road racing and autocross. I will agree with you on one thing though they are pricey.
    They aren't control shocks..... And if you are sucker enough to think that a change from 275, 300 and 325 somehow takes you from drag to street/strip to autox/rr you are sorely mistaken and should know that stock LS1 fronts are 292, stock LT1's are 310, 1LE's are 360 and springs like mine are 550.

Sorry my friend, QA1's are not good. Believe me, don't, whatever. But I'll be damned if I'm going to use a shock that doens't even have a gas-charge to help keep fade down, uses a cheap bypass valve instead of one that works on the piston to "adjust" damping, and that claim that a 50 pounds swing in spring rate takes you from Drag racing to corner carver... it's a joke.

And the last time I took QA1's off something it was a 1600 pound Lotus clone, and they didn't even deal with that lightweight car well, the Koni we put on kicked the crap out them (not that I'm shocked...).
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Now in Summit LT1 Flavor! Y2KArcticSS's Avatar

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

You're probably right about the spring rates, but just how is a single adjustable shock ever going to be better than a double adjustable QA1?

And no offense, but you're a sponsor who sells Koni shocks, its obvious you'd be in support of them over QA1.

He's not a sponsor here anymore, just a member stating his opinion based on VAST experience. If you'd look at his signature, you would see several championships under his belt. I'm sure he's tried very many different combos, including QA1. And he also SELLS QA1 along with Koni if I'm not mistaken. You will find that Sam is very brutally honest when it comes to this stuff.

2016 Summit White 1SS - The DD
    2001 NBM Trans Am WS6 - Wifey's Grocery Getter
    2000 Arctic White SS #1667 - Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    They aren't control shocks..... And if you are sucker enough to think that a change from 275, 300 and 325 somehow takes you from drag to street/strip to autox/rr you are sorely mistaken and should know that stock LS1 fronts are 292, stock LT1's are 310, 1LE's are 360 and springs like mine are 550.

Sorry my friend, QA1's are not good. Believe me, don't, whatever. But I'll be damned if I'm going to use a shock that doens't even have a gas-charge to help keep fade down, uses a cheap bypass valve instead of one that works on the piston to "adjust" damping, and that claim that a 50 pounds swing in spring rate takes you from Drag racing to corner carver... it's a joke.

And the last time I took QA1's off something it was a 1600 pound Lotus clone, and they didn't even deal with that lightweight car well, the Koni we put on kicked the crap out them (not that I'm shocked...).
    You're a sponsor who sells Koni shocks, its obvious you'd be in support of them over QA1.

You're probably right about the spring rates, but just how is a single adjustable shock ever going to be better than a double adjustable QA1?

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Whoa, I feel like I just traveled time...how did a post I quoted from you get down below my own, and all inverted...... You sir, are a space-time ninja.

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    He's not a sponsor here anymore, just a member stating his opinion based on VAST experience. If you'd look at his signature, you would see several championships under his belt. I'm sure he's tried very many different combos, including QA1. And he also SELLS QA1 along with Koni if I'm not mistaken. You will find that Sam is very brutally honest when it comes to this stuff.
    You posted while I was editing, your post came before mine and you quoted me. Never had that happen before.

And I checked the site, before posting and after your response and I don't see QA1 anywhere, but don't burn me if its there and I just missed it.

I didn't mean to offend anyone and I'm not challenging anyone's honesty here, I don't even know him, I'm just putting that fact out there. Sponsor or not he is a vendor, and I always treat vendors the same way until I start to know them and I make a decision based on what they've said. That being said, I never said Sam was lying, and I didn't mean for my earlier post to in any way reflect upon his character. I'm sorry if anyone felt otherwise.

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

You posted while I was editing, your post came before mine and you quoted me. Never had that happen before.

And I checked the site, before posting and after your response and I don't see QA1 anywhere, but don't burn me if its there and I just missed it.

I didn't mean to offend anyone and I'm not challenging anyone's honesty here, I don't even know him, I'm just putting that fact out there. Sponsor or not he is a vendor, and I always treat vendors the same way until I start to know them and I make a decision based on what they've said. That being said, I never said Sam was lying, and I didn't mean for my earlier post to in any way reflect upon his character. I'm sorry if anyone felt otherwise.
    Very strange......I've never seen that happen either

And you are right, I apologize, I see no QA1 anywhere either.... I sware I've seen it there before, but I could be very wrong, I apologize.

But having talked with Sam a few times, and somewhat knowing his background, I can tell you just about everything he says suspensionwise is right on the money. He was racing long before he decided to be a vendor, and he does his best to steer everyone who comes his way in the right direction for their particular setup and budget. He never sells someone an item they don't need, unless they insist on buying it. Think of him as a racer, who just happens to have some extra parts in his garage

Oh, and Sam, I just don't know if I could ever get rid of these wheels, they look too good

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KArcticSS View Post
    Very strange......I've never seen that happen either

And you are right, I apologize, I see no QA1 anywhere either.... I sware I've seen it there before, but I could be very wrong, I apologize.

But having talked with Sam a few times, and somewhat knowing his background, I can tell you just about everything he says suspensionwise is right on the money. He was racing long before he decided to be a vendor, and he does his best to steer everyone who comes his way in the right direction for their particular setup and budget. He never sells someone an item they don't need, unless they insist on buying it. Think of him as a racer, who just happens to have some extra parts in his garage

Oh, and Sam, I just don't know if I could ever get rid of these wheels, they look too good
    Well hearing (or rather reading) someone else say that certainly gives me more confidence in what I'm reading.

Again I'm not challenging anyone, I hope everyone can see my side of it and remember that this is the internet where you don't really know what goes where and you have to take everything with a grain of salt, particularly on this site where the bullshit stories pile sky high, and everyone is professional mechanic with a 10 second car and an 8inch package. And I'm not talking about just Sam, it seems that sometimes everyone is like that.

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Well hearing (or rather reading) someone else say that certainly gives me more confidence in what I'm reading.

Again I'm not challenging anyone, I hope everyone can see my side of it and remember that this is the internet where you don't really know what goes where and you have to take everything with a grain of salt, particularly on this site where the bullshit stories pile sky high, and everyone is professional mechanic with a 10 second car and an 8inch package. And I'm not talking about just Sam, it seems that sometimes everyone is like that.
    Nah, my car only runs 11.01, but I have a 10 inch package to make up for it j/k No offense taken by any means, it's good to be skeptical, especially on the interwebz....

White
    2001 Z28

You're a sponsor who sells Koni shocks, its obvious you'd be in support of them over QA1.

I can sell QA1's too. I don't put them on my website because I hate selling things I don't think are any good.

How is a single adjsutable better than a double? Better valving, better quality, better all the way around.

Based on your statement I can sort of tell you don't know what compression and rebound damping do. If your compression damping is correct you don't and shouldn't be pissing with it. Compression IS NOT SPRING RATE. Koni makes Doubles too, you don't see me recommending those do you? Hell I own a set and don't run them because 99.8% of the time there is no reason and SA's work every bit as well and sometimes better.

Look, there are folks around (though maybe not on this site) who have gotten to compare QA1's and Koni's. Hell, I talked to a customer yesterday who dumped his QA1's for Koni's and let's just say he wasn't the least bit sorry.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

I've been watching this thread for a while. Sam what are the part numbers for the Koni's you recommend? I have a 99 Z-28 with stock springs. I was going to go the cheap shock route but decided other wise

White
    2001 Z28

There are various sets of Koni's starting @ $732/set and working up. I don't really recommend one all the time over another. Depends on what you are trying to do.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by fergyflyer View Post
    My brother works for KYB so take this with that in mind.

I have right at 62,000 miles on my car. It was diving more than i liked on stops and just didn't feel tight in corners. I'm not much for springs, I like the softer feel of stock but wanted a firmer sportier ride than I had.

I bought the KYB Gas-A-Just which is their better shock, not their best which is very comprable to a Koni. I paid about $300 at the tirerack.com. They are great. They firmed the car up in cornering but softened the ride over railroad tracks and other normal road bumps. I got a better 60' at the track with them too. I can't say enough about them.

My brother got me a free set for my daily driver, a Cavalier. The set he got me was the KYB GR2. They have about 10,000 miles on them. When I originally put them on I was really upset. They were knock a filling out stiff. After 10,000 miles they have softened a bit but are still stiffer than I like. With 84,000 miles on the car now I'll probably never have to do struts on it again, the struts will be just right at about 150k LOL.

Seriously though the Gas-A-Just are great for our cars to improve the stock ride and handling without springs.
    Sam, are your front and rear spring rates 550lbs?

Sam, what do you think of these gas shocks mentioned in the quote above?

Poster, what can you compare these gas kybs to besides stock?

White
    2001 Z28

Front springs are 550, rear are 150... 550 rear--whew, that'd be way, way, WAY not good.

KYB Gas-A-Justs? Junk, garbage, crap. AGX's are better by far. I wouldn't use Gas-a-justs on my worst enemies car. Well, maybe. The fact they seem great to many stems mostly from the fact the stock stuff isn't very good, and only gets worse with miles added. That means even something half-assed seems rocking in comparison because it's better than what was there before.
    Last edited by Sam Strano; 02-25-2009 at 11:41 AM.

Summit White
    2016 Camaro SS

Front springs are 550, rear are 150... 550 rear--whew, that'd be way, way, WAY not good.

KYB Gas-A-Justs? Junk, garbage, crap. AGX's are better by far. I wouldn't use Gas-a-justs on my worst enemies car. Well, maybe. The fact they seem great to many stems mostly from the fact the stock stuff isn't very good, and only gets worse with miles added. That means even something half-assed seems rocking in comparison because it's better than what was there before.
    Which is why I'm worshipping my Bilstein HD's right now I'm sure that Koni's are much better, but these sure beat the hell out of the deCarbons I took off the front, Monroe Sensa-Tracs off the back......

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Yea...I always set the rears way lower than the fronts on forza 2 just curious what your ratings on the shocks were. thanks!

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

There are various sets of Koni's starting @ $732/set and working up. I don't really recommend one all the time over another. Depends on what you are trying to do.
    Replace the factory units with 90000 miles. I do mostly spirited driving with an occasional autocross and trip to the 1/4 mile.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information