Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shock tower braces

This is a discussion on Shock tower braces within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by Mr. Luos You were lucky......

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Click for full size
    You were lucky...
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    You were lucky...
    Me and hundreds (if not thousands) of others.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Cool

Me and hundreds (if not thousands) of others.
    Curtis about a million folks have jumped of bridges and survived too. But you won't catch me jumping off any bridges anytime soon. I just think about the welds made by someone whom we don't know and unseen in some mass production factory somewhere. I would'nt bet my life on them is all I'm sayin' bro..

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Well...it isn't like anyone or anything was under the car when it went up.
    Got lifted...then then stands went underneath.
    It doesn't hold the weight for long.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Well...it isn't like anyone or anything was under the car when it went up.
    Got lifted...then then stands went underneath.
    It doesn't hold the weight for long.
    I imagine you would use stands right away. But I just would'nt trust it tho.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Click for full size
    Yeah... about that

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

I liked having mine, as someone else said, it was nice to use as a handle when working on it....the only time i had to remove it was pull the alternator.

In my opinion it reduces some vibration in the wheel. The one time i took it off, i forgot to put it back on, when i took it out for a test drive, I could tell something felt different.

But its not like im rushing out to get one for the camaro i just picked up.

Worthy part? - yes
    Worth spending a bunch of money? - no

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    Yeah... about that
    Short of having a lift...that was as safe as can be.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

double post....
    Last edited by Spikito; 03-01-2010 at 08:56 AM.

Black
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

The STB made a noticable difference on my convertible. Previously, I could see the a-pillars and dash move independently, and the console move independent of the shifter. A lot, but not all, of that movement was eliminated by tying the strut towers together. I don't want to weld in SFCs so I'll live with the remaining flexing.
    Last edited by turbojimmy; 03-02-2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Accidentally said "weld-in STBs", leading to great confusion. Meant "SFCs"

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    The STB made a noticable difference on my convertible. Previously, I could see the a-pillars and dash move independently, and the console move independent of the shifter. A lot, but not all, of that movement was eliminated by tying the strut towers together. I don't want to weld in STBs so I'll live with the remaining flexing.
    You could get a set that bolts on too brudda..

Black
    2002 Trans Am Convertible

You could get a set that bolts on too brudda..
    I haven't done the research, but I *thought* all the vert SFCs were weld-in. And then you have to hack them out to do certian work underneath.

I had bolt-ins on my Mustang for a while and the bolt holes eventually egg-out. I eventually had them welded in.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by turbojimmy View Post
    I haven't done the research, but I *thought* all the vert SFCs were weld-in. And then you have to hack them out to do certian work underneath.

I had bolt-ins on my Mustang for a while and the bolt holes eventually egg-out. I eventually had them welded in.
    Some are, some are'nt. You won't have to hack them out to do work on her. Most of our vitals run down the tunel.. Even on the vert.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Most STB if not all ive ever seen are bolts ins. Im sure you could weld them in, but then how are you gonna get your struts out? lol and as a added info for the OP, SFC can be bolted in or welded as well. I got 2 point boltin SFC. Eventually, depending on how you drive, your gonna wind up welding them in. I will one day. With a bolt on, at least they are already mocked in place so you dont have to spot weld so much Just grind off all that pretty powder coating lol... it peels off after a while anyway.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    Most STB if not all ive ever seen are bolts ins. Im sure you could weld them in, but then how are you gonna get your struts out? lol and as a added info for the OP, SFC can be bolted in or welded as well. I got 2 point boltin SFC. Eventually, depending on how you drive, your gonna wind up welding them in. I will one day. With a bolt on, at least they are already mocked in place so you dont have to spot weld so much Just grind off all that pretty powder coating lol... it peels off after a while anyway.
    i think they were referring to the SFCs when they mentioned welding in.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by V8MUSCLE View Post
    any real differences between UMI, Spohn, BMR.

as far as i can tell its just a brace. i cant imagine how one could be a hell of a lot better than another.
    Since I'm interested to know the answer to the OP's orginal, is there a difference between the products?

Or is it simply because they don't do much, get the cheapest possible?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Yes.

I have one....and it isn't on the car. If that tells you anything.
    Last edited by Mr. Luos; 03-01-2010 at 04:22 PM.

SOM
    2002 SS

Wow I can't believe what I'm reading. I'm an engineer with Ford and have had the opportunity to watch certain models go through the chassis rigidity testing procedure and the least I can say is it is enlightening. The current gen Mustang chassis looked like a piece of cheese on the machine. I would guess and hope it is stiffer than the 4th gen f-body especially with T-roofs. Mustang magazines rave about the 'track pack' on the mustang and love the handling and feel of the GT. Guess what is has?? A Strut tower brace !!!

Imo its almost the BEST bang for the buck mod. $60 and 15 mins DIY install and you're done. By tying the front suspension directly together you are actually heping the suspension do its job better. Without the bar the impact will transmit to the shocktower to the chassis and the cowl, front sub section etc will all help absorb the impact. Some of this ends up reaching up through the steering column and to the steering wheel. Without a brace much of the spot welds and steel have to flex to absorb this impact.

What people forget is the biggest impact absorbing component is usually the tires. From my short experience on these forums majority of the people prefer 17" rims which usually has people using ballooney tires. a larger tire will absorb a ton of impact and is why many of you dont notice much of a difference. Here's a test for some of you. Pump your front tires to max pressure and go drive over a railroad track with and without the brace. I can guarantee you will feel a difference.

Also if anyone has ever heard of a car needing an alignment after hittign a large pothole or bump believe it or not it is usually caused by the chassis flexing to point where it has bent out of shape and caused the alignment to go off. Have you ever driven in an older generaion car and feel how the entire car feels squiggly and sqeaks and rattles (cough 3rd gen) ? Adding any structural bracing like a STB or SFC helps in this regard.

It was one of the first mods I did and for the price the best. I have a hardtop and still noticed the slight difference in steering sharpness. I forgot what else I had to say since Im at work and typing this between breaks but I highly reccomned a STB. At the very least the next owner will have appreciated it.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Shock tower braces are mostly good for puller cars not so much 4th gen f-bod. There's so much uni-body up front on our cars you'd be hard pressed to find that it's flexing much..
    This makes sense to me, at least in a response to below.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5abivt View Post
    Wow I can't believe what I'm reading. I'm an engineer with Ford and have had the opportunity to watch certain models go through the chassis rigidity testing procedure and the least I can say is it is enlightening. The current gen Mustang chassis looked like a piece of cheese on the machine. I would guess and hope it is stiffer than the 4th gen f-body especially with T-roofs. Mustang magazines rave about the 'track pack' on the mustang and love the handling and feel of the GT. Guess what is has?? A Strut tower brace !!!

Imo its almost the BEST bang for the buck mod. $60 and 15 mins DIY install and you're done. By tying the front suspension directly together you are actually heping the suspension do its job better. Without the bar the impact will transmit to the shocktower to the chassis and the cowl, front sub section etc will all help absorb the impact. Some of this ends up reaching up through the steering column and to the steering wheel. Without a brace much of the spot welds and steel have to flex to absorb this impact.

What people forget is the biggest impact absorbing component is usually the tires. From my short experience on these forums majority of the people prefer 17" rims which usually has people using ballooney tires. a larger tire will absorb a ton of impact and is why many of you dont notice much of a difference. Here's a test for some of you. Pump your front tires to max pressure and go drive over a railroad track with and without the brace. I can guarantee you will feel a difference.

Also if anyone has ever heard of a car needing an alignment after hittign a large pothole or bump believe it or not it is usually caused by the chassis flexing to point where it has bent out of shape and caused the alignment to go off. Have you ever driven in an older generaion car and feel how the entire car feels squiggly and sqeaks and rattles (cough 3rd gen) ? Adding any structural bracing like a STB or SFC helps in this regard.

It was one of the first mods I did and for the price the best. I have a hardtop and still noticed the slight difference in steering sharpness. I forgot what else I had to say since Im at work and typing this between breaks but I highly reccomned a STB. At the very least the next owner will have appreciated it.

SOM
    2002 SS

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    Since I'm interested to know the answer to the OP's orginal, is there a difference between the products?

I think some are lightweight which accounts for much of the price difference. I'd suggest going the cheapest possible. If you are concerned about weight just hit the toilet before the track.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information