Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shaking seat

This is a discussion on Shaking seat within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Would not be flat spots due to the fact that your tires have steel belts in them they are not ...

1999 Chevy Camaro z28

Would not be flat spots due to the fact that your tires have steel belts in them they are not bias ply tired. Could be that you need to get your tire balanced!!

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Right, they have steel belts. The guy at the tire store said that you can put a fold in the steel belts by letting your car sit in the same spot for over 2 months.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I know it is not balancing, because after I got new tires and balancing, I only put maybe 400 miles on before I hit the balanced again. Balancing is pretty much ruled out at this point.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

A tire with a couple broken cords can spin balance on the machine.

But under the weight and motion of the car act like it's not balanced..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

RED
    2002 Camaro SS

I think you'll have to pull the wheels again. Sway bar end links won't cause the car the shake.

1999 Chevy Camaro z28

Does it stop and start at certain speeds??

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

When I first pull it out on the road, I am driving about 45 mph, and it is bad. I usually jump right on the freeway and it is not as bad at 75mph. About 30 minutes of driving later, it still shakes but not nearly as bad.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by j nix View Post
    When I first pull it out on the road, I am driving about 45 mph, and it is bad. I usually jump right on the freeway and it is not as bad at 75mph. About 30 minutes of driving later, it still shakes but not nearly as bad.
    So it gets better as the tire warms up?

Do you have all 4 tires the same size? You could try swapping the front to back and see if it gets reduced/eliminated. This plan isn't full proof, as the back tires could have the same issue, but the front ones have the weight of the motor on them so they should be in worse condition if flat spots are the issue.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Thats what I think. The shaking gets better as the tires heat up. Because it is really bad when I first start to drive and gets better about 30 minutes later of driving. I will switch around the tires and see what happens.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

i had this issue with my vehicle for a while. I took it back for balancing and they re did them. Still vibrating. I had bad wheel hubs, replaced those it quite down the vibration and noise some but it still vibrating. I finally decided to take it to a shop that fixes bent wheels. I told them the story and they checked the tires on the balancing machine. My tires are bad you can see them rotating and somehow the threads are like different heights so they are uneven. He told me the wheels are fine is the tires that are bad. I still have plenty of thread in them so im getting 2 new tires and rotate them to the back to finish them up quicker.

Your issue sounds like it is tire related.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    i had this issue with my vehicle for a while. I took it back for balancing and they re did them. Still vibrating. I had bad wheel hubs, replaced those it quite down the vibration and noise some but it still vibrating. I finally decided to take it to a shop that fixes bent wheels. I told them the story and they checked the tires on the balancing machine. My tires are bad you can see them rotating and somehow the threads are like different heights so they are uneven. He told me the wheels are fine is the tires that are bad. I still have plenty of thread in them so im getting 2 new tires and rotate them to the back to finish them up quicker.

Your issue sounds like it is tire related.
    + 1,893,298,329

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

That sounds just like what is going on with mine. I Think i will get 2 new tires and put them on the front and see what happens. I wanted better tires anyway, just wasnt planning on buying them now. The ones i have only have 1000 miles on them. But they arent anything special. 2 new tires is the quickest thing to check and i really think it is the tires.

blue
    1999 TransAm

i have similar vibration problems/issues... passenger seat shake, shake from rear wheel, etc.. also, i have aftermarket wheels w/ the damn stick-on weights (and i hate them), ...and i think generally it's the tire/wheel balance that's the culprit. i can get them balanced (all four), and then like 2 days later the vibration comes back... i should never have gone to aftermarket wheels (bad decision).

op are you on stock wheels, tire size?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Yeah. I'm running the speedlines made for the 2002 WS6. Tires are stock size as well, but I don't think the tires must be very good. The more I drive it, the more vibration disappears. I am putting on rear suspension parts and new shocks. See if that changes things. At least I will have my head into the car and I will most likely find the problem.

blue
    1999 TransAm

some tires are worse than others when it comes to "flat spots"... the last set i had were kumho and they really sucked, would get flat spots from just sitting over night, especially cold nights.. now i have toyos and they are much better, as i don't really notice flat spots...

could be you have a bad tire (belt?, inconsistent rubber compound), or just not getting the wheel/tire balance good enough... if you have sticky weights it can be really tricky getting a good balance..

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

I think the tires are the problem. I am going to see if my tire shop will switch them out for a new set and see if it fixes the problem.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    some tires are worse than others when it comes to "flat spots"... the last set i had were kumho and they really sucked, would get flat spots from just sitting over night, especially cold nights.. now i have toyos and they are much better, as i don't really notice flat spots...

could be you have a bad tire (belt?, inconsistent rubber compound), or just not getting the wheel/tire balance good enough... if you have sticky weights it can be really tricky getting a good balance..
    temperature is another factor also. My tires will vibrate like hell in a cold morning. As the tires warm up the vibration stops. Did they vibrated like that since brand new?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

Actually no. I bought them last summer, when it was warm. When i pulled it out early, a couple of weeks ago, they were doing it. It is still around 32 degrees out here. When it warms up and i start driving it more often, i guess it might go away.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by j nix View Post
    Actually no. I bought them last summer, when it was warm. When i pulled it out early, a couple of weeks ago, they were doing it. It is still around 32 degrees out here. When it warms up and i start driving it more often, i guess it might go away.
    Do you check your tire pressure at frecuent? The reason I said that is because I ruined a set of tires by running them on 20psi. They looked fine by just looking at them. The tread got uneven and will cause vibration. They put 45psi initially on the tires. I just got lazy and never checked them anymore.

last time i will get lazy with that...

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS6 NBM

That could have been part of the problem. When I took them to get balanced, the car drove with alot less shake. I asked them about the tire pressure, they said they checked it, but they didnt say if it was low. Another week in the mid 30's for us in Michigan.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information