Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 66

SFC Bolt-on VS. Weld-in

This is a discussion on SFC Bolt-on VS. Weld-in within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Small town living at it's best....

  1. #41
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brookville, PA
    Posts
    547

    White
    2001 Z28

    Small town living at it's best.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

  2. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    rochester,ny
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,667

    pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

    Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    to bad your shop is so far away i can't pick up the parts.
    Driving directions to Brookville, PA
    270 mi about 4 hours 24 mins
    Do u have a shop sam? or do u just sell parts? asking because if im ever in the area id love to stop by and check it out.....do u have a dyno?

  3. #43
    Member herculesrider1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    504

    Red
    '00 TransAm RamAir WS6 M6

    SLP's sub-frame connectors fit the 1993-2002 V6, V8 Camaro, and Firebird, (except convertible models). One (Part #70801) is an easy-to-install bolt-on version that uses existing chassis mounting points. No holes to drill! Seems like this would be the best of both worlds. No holes to rust out, but a 3 pt system that increases chassis rigidity over and above the 2 pt systems weld ins or bolt ins...

  4. #44
    - STOCK ish - Sarge91's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Fairhope, Alabama
    Age
    26
    Posts
    779

    Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    Small town living at it's best.
    Nice site u got there, good prices.

  5. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brookville, PA
    Posts
    547

    White
    2001 Z28

    Better off with the UMI's (though I sell both brands). UMI makes 3-pts that tuck better, and also pick up the rear LCA mount to brace it as well.

    SFC's I recommend can all be found here on my website (with pictures):
    http://www.stranoparts.com/searchbym...D=22&ModelID=7

  6. #46
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brookville, PA
    Posts
    547

    White
    2001 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    Do u have a shop sam? or do u just sell parts? asking because if im ever in the area id love to stop by and check it out.....do u have a dyno?

    I do, but it's admittedly not much to look at. These days I only really work on my own cars. No dyno, I'm more of a suspension work guy anyway.

    Just an old building with some parts, some offices, some trophies, my Camaro, a drive-on lift, tools and a set of scales to corner weight cars.

  7. #47
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    rochester,ny
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,667

    pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    I do, but it's admittedly not much to look at. These days I only really work on my own cars. No dyno, I'm more of a suspension work guy anyway.

    Just an old building with some parts, some offices, some trophies, my Camaro, a drive-on lift, tools and a set of scales to corner weight cars.

    so is your business just u? or do u have some mechanics as well u employ?

  8. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brookville, PA
    Posts
    547

    White
    2001 Z28

    No, these days it's just me. We closed the normal shop side a few years back. And my parents used to work here too, but my Mom passed away and between the fact my Dad is 65 and they only spent about 8 nights apart from Sept. 1969 to May 2008, it's hard for him to come to work, a place they spent so much time to get off the ground.....

    It's pretty much me, I am the epitome of a "small business", which is hard to be in this world.

  9. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    rochester,ny
    Age
    39
    Posts
    2,667

    pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    No, these days it's just me. We closed the normal shop side a few years back. And my parents used to work here too, but my Mom passed away and between the fact my Dad is 65 and they only spent about 8 nights apart from Sept. 1969 to May 2008, it's hard for him to come to work, a place they spent so much time to get off the ground.....

    It's pretty much me, I am the epitome of a "small business", which is hard to be in this world.
    thats to bad about your mother......the small business part is fantastic though....u have built quite the reputation in the fbody world for your whole business to only consist of u...thats prolly why your so customer oriented and easy to get a hold of

  10. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brookville, PA
    Posts
    547

    White
    2001 Z28

    We all miss her, every day.

    I like being my own boss (most of the time, sometime I want to burn the place down). I can do what I think is right and do business in the same way I'd want a vendor to treat me. Do unto others and all that jazz...

    Easy to get a hold of? Well not always, but that's why I have voice-mail!

  11. #51
    formally 01 T/A 0verkill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Diego ca
    Posts
    2,253

    "Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by herculesrider1 View Post
    SLP's sub-frame connectors fit the 1993-2002 V6, V8 Camaro, and Firebird, (except convertible models). One (Part #70801) is an easy-to-install bolt-on version that uses existing chassis mounting points. No holes to drill! Seems like this would be the best of both worlds. No holes to rust out, but a 3 pt system that increases chassis rigidity over and above the 2 pt systems weld ins or bolt ins...
    slp just sucks ass. umi is the best as far as most and i am consernd.

  12. #52
    Member ghettosled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    cleveland, ohio
    Posts
    228

    pewter
    1999 camaro ss #4288

    i bought weld-in 3 points UMI SFCs from sam (thank you again) but will probably weld them into place in the spring. i have cranked down on the bolts that connect to the LCAs, but after a day or two of driving, they start squeaking again.

  13. #53
    formally 01 T/A 0verkill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    San Diego ca
    Posts
    2,253

    "Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

    Quote Originally Posted by ghettosled View Post
    i bought weld-in 3 points UMI SFCs from sam (thank you again) but will probably weld them into place in the spring. i have cranked down on the bolts that connect to the LCAs, but after a day or two of driving, they start squeaking again.
    do they work lose? they have torque specs but there only if thy pop. if they are sqeaking they mabe to tight. try taking the bolts out put a littal lube on the bolts and torque them over.

  14. #54
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brookville, PA
    Posts
    547

    White
    2001 Z28

    Quote Originally Posted by ghettosled View Post
    i bought weld-in 3 points UMI SFCs from sam (thank you again) but will probably weld them into place in the spring. i have cranked down on the bolts that connect to the LCAs, but after a day or two of driving, they start squeaking again.
    The LCA bolts use a pinch nut to stay tight. Once removed the tension is not as much, and the addition of the SFC makes them easier to work loose.

    Loctite baby. It's your friend. And all major OEM nuts and bolts should have threadlocker on them if the originally had any sort of locking arrangement to start with. FWIW, I see folks do brake work and not use loctite on the calipers bolts, and I've seen more than once a caliper bolt come out and make a mess of a wheel when the caliper jams in the wheel.

  15. #55
    Member ghettosled's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    cleveland, ohio
    Posts
    228

    pewter
    1999 camaro ss #4288

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    The LCA bolts use a pinch nut to stay tight. Once removed the tension is not as much, and the addition of the SFC makes them easier to work loose.

    Loctite baby. It's your friend. And all major OEM nuts and bolts should have threadlocker on them if the originally had any sort of locking arrangement to start with. FWIW, I see folks do brake work and not use loctite on the calipers bolts, and I've seen more than once a caliper bolt come out and make a mess of a wheel when the caliper jams in the wheel.

    many thanks on the suggestion. since the car is off the road until spring, i will do this but wont know the results for a while. speaking of which, maybe i should use loctite on my caliper bolts as well. a buddy of mine just lost one a couple of weeks ago. too bad he was about 300 miles away from his house.

  16. #56
    Member egod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    436

    Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

    I bolted in my weld on ones cause i was too lazt to weld and they were cheaper then the bolt on's. I used lock washers and nylon locking nuts and i've had them for two months and i have no issues with them.

  17. #57
    Crazy Canuck ! Eugenio_SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Montreal, CANADA
    Age
    42
    Posts
    3,190

    triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    We all miss her, every day.
    We certainly do... it was one of the most amazing people to talk to with a friendly voice at the other end of the phone... she even recognized most customers, which I find amazing.
    She will be missed, and not forgotten.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

  18. #58
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Antonio
    Age
    46
    Posts
    289

    Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

    Something I haven't heard anybody talking about here between Bolt-Ons and Welds.

    I won't put SFC's on until Summer. But I will use Bolt-Ons. Drive it to make sure I like what I got. Then have them spot weld the bolts to the SFC. Then if I change later I can use a dremel and my regular tools to remove. Then I don't risk any metal fatigue from welds and removal of welds...especially to my sub-frame!

  19. #59
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brookville, PA
    Posts
    547

    White
    2001 Z28

    Absolutely, that's a very common practice. Install bolt-ons and later have them welded in. You do it completely and get rid of the bolts or just run little stitch welds and keep the bolts and get a sort of hybrid that isn't as much work, or quite as permanent as fully welding.

  20. #60
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Antonio
    Age
    46
    Posts
    289

    Silver & Black
    99 Camaro SS

    I definitely retain the bolts so it is more readily undone!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Bolt-In vs Weld-In
    By Naaman in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-08-2010, 02:35 AM
  2. Bolt in/ weld in sfc
    By speedracer25f in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-11-2008, 09:12 PM
  3. bolt or weld exhaust?
    By beer in forum External Engine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 06-15-2008, 07:26 PM
  4. sfc bolt in/weld.
    By billyb in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-10-2006, 01:45 PM
  5. Weld in or Bolt on SBC's?
    By Nate00SS in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-05-2006, 11:01 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •