Thread: Rotors

Red
    1996 Camaro RS

Rotors

Where is the best place to get my drilled and slotted rotors?

Red
    1996 Camaro RS

????
    well does anyone know whats the best brand thats not to expensive?

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

There are numerous posts as to the reason why not to get drilled rotors (they make the rotors weak and prone to breakage).

This is why no one must have replied.

Do a search on this forum (and others) before you purchase brake rotors and pads.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

best and drilled rotors in the same sentence... ouch... save your $ and get better braking with non-drilled rotors.
    unless you want looks, while sacrificing braking performance.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Pewter
    2002 Camaro SS

www.ws6store.com

they have a great set of cross drilled and slotted zinc rotors for only $170.

o and as far as drilled and/or slotted being weakers than regular rotors, many many people have run these types of rotors w/o any problems. under "normal" driving conditions you shouldn't have any problems with them.

ban-one
    i have never heard of drilled rotors breaking. and as far as loosind brake performance i dont know where that came from either the drilled holes allow the heat to escape which we all know is not our friend when talking about brakes. but i may be wroung correct me if i am

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by ban-one View Post
    i have never heard of drilled rotors breaking. and as far as loosind brake performance i dont know where that came from either the drilled holes allow the heat to escape which we all know is not our friend when talking about brakes. but i may be wroung correct me if i am
    For autocrossing and racing where the rotors can get literally red-hot, yes cross-drilling does allow better ventilation. For street use, it doesn't make much of a difference in braking - however you will get increased pad wear, braking noise, and the drilling can induce stress cracks in the rotor, especially if the drill holes aren't chamfered correctly. Very few rotor manufacturers guarantee drilled rotors against stress cracking. Do they look sexy? Yes - but they won't stop you any faster. Swept area (the part of the rotor that the pad contacts) makes the difference in braking, all other things being equal - that's why big brake kits work, because the pads and braking contact area are increased. Stainless steel braided brake hoses help pedal feel and brake response because the hose doesn't swell as much before you reach effective braking pressure levels in the brake fluid. Spend your money on more effective performance mods and buy a set of blank Brembo rotors. I did, switched to SST lines and ceramic pads, and have absolutely NO warping with over 20K miles on these brake parts. It doesn't look sexy but it WORKS. Also, change the brake fluid to a full synthetic fluid like Valvoline - higher boiling point, less moisture adsorption, and it's reasonably priced and easy to find.
    Last edited by Fastcar; 12-25-2006 at 05:35 AM. Reason: typos

ban-one
    well i didnt think about ithat way thanks for the advice as well

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by ban-one View Post
    the mass will help dissipate heat, will help is slow down... reducing mass will hinder braking performance, not to mention the contact surfac @ any point in time, and having holes drilled will cause stress points, and they WILL crack if you brake hard.
    As i said, if you take the same rotor, one plain vs cross-drilled... you get better performance from the plain ones... and save a $
    the drilled are nice for bling, not performance.

Pewter
    '07 Silverado

I'm surprised no-one has mentioned slotted rotors here. I have power slot rotors with hawk brake pads on my car an love them. They don't warp as quickly as stock but do warp with aggressive driving.. just not as badly. I could really feel a difference in braking. Make sure you follow proper brake in procedures as several heat cycles are required for optimum performance and life. I got mine at lmperformance and rotors and pads ran about $500 I think.

As to all this debate about cross drilling.. unless you're autocrossing your car I'd agree that it's not a neccesity, but then who cares about that? I have heard stories of stress cracks developing but I managed to put stress cracks in stock rotors too so.... I guess it all depends on your driving style. Whoever said cross drilling decreases performance??? The holes help cooling and reduce mass which is good because rotational mass affects performance much more then regular weight. However this performance gain is a at the cost of durability.

I'm curious. Anyone have experience with the two peice eradispeed rotors? They look like a great peice but I kinda wonder if they still warp and crack like all the others. At $800 I'd hope not but just wondering if anyone has experience with these.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Get yourself some Brembo blanks from Tirerack.com, fronts were under $70 same for the rears I bvelieve. Grab some Hawk HPS pads and be done with it, do yourself a favor and avoid the drilled rotors...please

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711 View Post
    ...Grab some Hawk HPS pads and be done with it, do yourself a favor and avoid the drilled rotors...please
    +2, as no one really needs 'bling bling rotors do they?!?

Cross drilled = No value what-so-ever!

silver
    2002 Z28 6MT

Drilled rotors are not needed for racing either. Brake ducts are what cool the brakes effectively at the track.

BTW AutoX is in no way tough on brakes as speeds are rarely above 75mph and usually you only do one hard stop from that "speed".

Thread Information