Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Road racing and tire sizes.

I have a question about road racing and tires. For best performance is it better to have all one size tire, narrower in the front than the back, or wider up front and narrower in the back (would look weird but I have seen people do that). Basically I want a set up that can corner pretty well but wouldn't be horrible at straight-line either or I could just swap tires and be good to go. I am looking at buying new wheels and they offer them in both a 18x9.5 and 18x11 so I am debating on whether to go 18x11 all the way around or do a staggered setup. If I run the same size all the way around I would be running 315s.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

Black/ Silver

Just realized I posted this in the wrong section....

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I moved it for you. I really am not too up to speed on information about tires as I went the traction route and just bought Mickey Thompson ET Streets. My car cannot drive on the street with normal street tires. I've tried it, and it is stupid dangerous.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I think he means for road races like autox which is better? same size all around or like drag setup, skinny's up front fat in the rear.

I've look at some youtube video's of autox and they seem to be close in size all around. Makes sense to me because those skinny's don't look like they could take a hard turn.

Black/ Silver

You are correct Scott in what I was asking. None of my tires would technically be skinnies it is just whether they are 275 in the front and 315 out back or 315 all the way around. I have heard conflicting things of what us best for road racing. I will be doing high speeds with sharp turns, obviously I won't do high speeds in the turn lol.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

So your primary setup will be for autocross?
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Black/ Silver

Whatever things like the Nurburgring (won't be doing that one specifically) are considered. I keep hearing that auto cross and road racing are two entirely different things as well as the same. I will be doing whatever I described is considered as my primary setup with occasional drag just to test out my quarter mile times to see how much my mods have done. When I picture auto cross I think of those cone courses in a parking lot, which may be wrong.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 02-25-2014 at 06:41 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

No, I agree. I just wanted to verify. Are you set on 18" wheels? I think they will look good and fill the wheel well nicely. I know some people stray away from larger wheels due to the added weight and additional power used to rotate them. I don't know how much of an affect this really has though.

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    No, I agree. I just wanted to verify. Are you set on 18" wheels? I think they will look good and fill the wheel well nicely. I know some people stray away from larger wheels due to the added weight and additional power used to rotate them. I don't know how much of an affect this really has though.
    Not set on 18s I just found some that are around stock weight and wider for a good price. They were like 24# (18x9.5) for the front and 28# for the rear (18x11) I have recently discovered 17s will clear my calipers with minimal work. The wheels just have to clear the calipers obviously since I am running cts-v calipers and smaller than 17" will not. If I could find a decent 17" wheel in a design I like I would prefer that if it will clear my calipers with little effort since there are more tire options in the 315s for them. I have been thinking though I could get my stock wheels widened for 315s and they clear my calipers I believe but it is really tight lol. But the wheels I found would probably be the better decision since they would still be stock offset and end up cheaper in the end.

This post though is mainly about the widths for RR and what works best. I was thinking 275 in the front and 315 in the back but I don't know if that is good for RR or not. I know it would be pretty good for street and strip but I am not sure about RR. I would think so since the Z06 is set up similarly and that is really what the Z06 is best at.
    Last edited by 98TransAmWs-6; 02-26-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I used to belong to this site back when I was in engineering...haven't frequented it in a long time, but they have a decent discussion on this if you want to read it when you have some spare time:

Automotive tire/wheel engineering - wider is better? or not? size of contact patch arguement

Black/ Silver

I used to belong to this site back when I was in engineering...haven't frequented it in a long time, but they have a decent discussion on this if you want to read it when you have some spare time:

Automotive tire/wheel engineering - wider is better? or not? size of contact patch arguement
    Thanks I'll read up on that. I have read on various forums that essentially are talking about the same thing but I am interested to see if this forum has new points.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

From what I have gathered, the type of tire and suspension set-up will likely play a bigger role in road racing than the actual width/s of the tire/s. I know there are a few people on here that dabble in road racing, so it would be nice to hear their perspective on this.

Black/ Silver

From what I have gathered, the type of tire and suspension set-up will likely play a bigger role in road racing than the actual width/s of the tire/s. I know there are a few people on here that dabble in road racing, so it would be nice to hear their perspective on this.
    Figured as much and I know you want as much adjustability as possible which is why everything I have gotten so far is adjustable minus the shocks. I will change them out at some point for adjustable ones though after I have some rear road racing time behind me. The tire I am going to go with I think are Toyo R888s since you can still drive it on the roads but it is a competition tire as well.

I am going to search for other tires as well and see if there is a better one around the same price as the Toyo R888 as well.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Road racing and tire sizes.

For added info, look up STi Killer featured in GM High Tech Performance. Good writeup. Strip, and road racing Camaro.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Black/ Silver

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    For added info, look up STi Killer featured in GM High Tech Performance. Good writeup. Strip, and road racing Camaro.
    Damn I forgot about that. I want to say from memory they were running 275 in the front and 315 in the back but I could be totally wrong. I will give that a look and see.

Black/ Silver

I looked it up they were 295 in the front and 315 in the rear for the STI killer. Damn I wish I could afford weld racing RTS wheels they are awesome looking.

Thread Information