Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Is this the right move?

This is a discussion on Is this the right move? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Mine is not mounted to the tailshaft of the transmission....

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Mine is not mounted to the tailshaft of the transmission.
    It's on jackstands.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

You have a tunnel mounted TA right Jon?

First off, Thanks for all your help fellas, I REALLY do appreciate all the info! Second, I hate you guys! I thought this would be a simple swap of the shocks & springs. Does the Tunnel brace TA take the TA off the transmission, thus eliminating the need for the relo bracket? Man, do I ever feel stupid lately....

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

All good advice given above. And yes, it is a love/hate relationship when you do some research. A lot of people just lower the car and don't give a damn about doing it right.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

We all had to start somewhere. It's an expensive hobby and this stuff tends to add up quickly. There is always a right and a wrong way to do things, that's the great thing about the forum is being able to ask before you end up with something you're not happy with later on.
    To answer your last question, a tunnel mounted TA will remove it from the tail shaft and relocate it to the tunnel brace. Those are stronger but have been known to transfer more noise into the cabin, which is why i went with a full-length and the relocation kit.

I was joking about the hate part...really. This car is my break from a wife, two daughters, & 8th & 9th grade students that all chip away at my sanity everyday. I have already shown the car a couple of times & want to continue to do so....hopefully, it will start to garner some more attention as it gets older. I do not race it (eventhough I live three miles from a drag strip) & I almost never drive it in a city setting....I mostly do 20-30 mile cruises out here in the boonies. So, yes, I want to do things the "right way" & I really appreciate you guys showing me what that is, eventhough it is kinda painful to my small budget!

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    You have a tunnel mounted TA right Jon?
    Correct.

OP - sounds like a full-length TA that's adjustable with a relocation kit is your best option.

I agree. I am going to just do a ta first & then, once I start to do power mods, I will do the relo bracket. It might cost a bit more, but will be worth it in the long run. Now, I need to save up the rest of the cash & wait for UMI to have a big sale.

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Maybe get a package deal. Should save you some.

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Agree with what has already been posted -- the tunnel mount is noisy on the street, but works great at the track. Go full length unless you are chasing quarter mile times on a regular basis.

Yep....Full length it will be, with a relocation bracket on down the road. My plan now, is to get the bolt-in sfc, bolt-in relocation lca brackets, lca's, adjustable phb, & an adjustable tranny mounted lower torque arm. I already have pro-kits & bilsteins, so by the end of April, my car should have one help of a good suspension!

I got a VERY helpful PM from Ramey & ordered from the WS6 store. I got an on-car adjustable PHB (with the roto-joint), LCA relocation brackets, & Non-adjustable LCA's (All UMI, of course) for $340 shipped. I was pretty happy with that. Now I gotta save up for the SFC's & Torque arm....which is okay, as I should have the money for that stuff by April, which is when all these will be installed anyways. Thanks for all the help Fellas!!

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Good deal. sounds like you're headed in the right direction

I ordered everything in red. I know black would look better with SOM, but I am going to love looking under there & seeing the new stuff stick out....I was afraid black would just blend in.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

I was the complete opposite I got black just so it would blend in lol
    pajeff02 likes this.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Whitefish View Post
    I got a VERY helpful PM from Ramey & ordered from the WS6 store. I got an on-car adjustable PHB (with the roto-joint), LCA relocation brackets, & Non-adjustable LCA's (All UMI, of course) for $340 shipped. I was pretty happy with that. Now I gotta save up for the SFC's & Torque arm....which is okay, as I should have the money for that stuff by April, which is when all these will be installed anyways. Thanks for all the help Fellas!!
    That is pretty much what I have except my LCAs are adjustable.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

I wanted as little adjustable stuff as possible. It would be like one of those damn radios from the 80's with the built-in equalizer...those drove me nuts, as I would tinker with it non-stop & never be happy.

As far as the red goes, I figure no one else will see it anyhow & it will make me happy to look under there & have it jump out to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information