Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

recommend me good shocks for my application?

This is a discussion on recommend me good shocks for my application? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Are AGX's on the front overly harsh?...

Blue
    2000 TA

Are AGX's on the front overly harsh?

White
    2001 Z28

If you set them on 8--probably. The point is you have adjustment to play with to best get what you want. Yes, AGX's don't give the same combination of control with the quality of ride that Koni's do. Bilstein's tend to deal with sharp bumps slightly better--but at the cost of damping control.

Again, there are lot of folks--in positions like some here are, that like their AGX's. As long as you understand they aren't super premium shocks you'll be fine. Some later change to Koni's when they can, and nobody has ever regretted that move. But I know that not everyone can do that, I'm just trying to walk the fine line between cost and decent performance.
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

what set of the koni's would you put on a car that dose bouth street and track days?

White
    2001 Z28

Koni 4/4's are always most recommended as they are the easiest set to adjust. 4/3's work well too, but the rears are harder to adjust and you can't go as many places with the damping.

So 4/4 would be my recommendation.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Strano View Post
    Koni 4/4's are always most recommended as they are the easiest set to adjust. 4/3's work well too, but the rears are harder to adjust and you can't go as many places with the damping.

So 4/4 would be my recommendation.
    so the only difference between the 4/3 and the 4/4 is the way you adjust them or is there more to it?

White
    2001 Z28

4/3 rears have to be removed to be adjusted, and have 4 settings. 4/4's adjust in place on the car, faster, easier, and actually more adjustable.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

i was gonna post a new thread asking about shocks too but what the hell theres this one already!

okay so the list goes as follows:

eibach pro kit
    hotchkis lca's
    hotchkis adjustable panhard bar
    hotchkis rear sway bar
    umi lca relocation brackets
    hotchkis strut tower bar

and thats it i think.. well my stock shocks are about out i would say, so i need some new ones. I was searchin for shocks and might take the dive for some konis but might just buy the rear first (since those sound real bad on my car already) but theres konis in every color! the car is my dd and does see the 1/4 mile at least once a month. i tried to understand how the adjustable stuff works but im kinda dumb on this still i was also looking at the billstein hd's but it said those arent real good for lowering springs? this is so hard! does somebody actually have the kyb's on their car or the billstein hd's with pro-kit? i dont even ask about konis cuz i know they kickass either way right? thnaks for trying to understand this mess

White
    2001 Z28

I don't understand your question.. Is there a question there?

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

I don't understand your question.. Is there a question there?
    uhhhh just call the Sam and have your credit card ready.

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I knew it was a mess! Well I'm just looking for shocks but I need some advice on which ones to get and I would also like to keep both my nuts while I'm at it

White
    2001 Z28

Well if you think you can figure it out with the limited information you get on forums--good luck.

I have a tech-line. I don't charge (yet) for you to call me and discuss. All I ask is that when you are ready to buy you think about who answered your questions. My open answer policy has been abused lately to the point that I'm thinking of implimenting a deposit program to discuss options that would be applied to an order when the time comes. I'd rather not, but that depends on how much longer folks want to use me for free info...

Anyway, I'd be happy to talk options with you. FWIW, I'll tell you know that if Koni's are a no go tell me up front. They are the best, they are worth the money. If you can't or won't spend that, ok just tell me so we don't waste each other's time. I'll add that in the scheme of high quality parts, Koni's aren't bad when compared to premium headers, tires, or even a nice torque arm setup. They only look really expensive when compared to lesser shocks.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Koni's aren't bad when compared to premium headers, tires, or even a nice torque arm setup. They only look really expensive when compared to lesser shocks.

well put never thought about that

Red
    2001 Trans Am

so how much are the koni 4/4's compared to the 4/3's?

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

the 4/3's are $732.00 and the 4/4's are $835.20 till the end of the mouth then they go up about $140. this info is from sam strano

White
    2001 Z28

Correct, Koni is having a sale (that's been hugely popular) until the end of the month and the savings is between $122-138.80 per set of 4 shocks.

Now, we are actually working well into a backorder--but any shocks ordered and paid for before the end of the sale will get the sales price though the shocks will be delivered in early July (when more arrive).

2002 WS6 TranAm

Unhappy

Still at a lost between AGX and Koni or for that matter maybe even Bilstein. Seat of the pants feel on AGX with a car that is not pushed like mine may be the way to go.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Not to dig up a dead horse but since Konis and Stranos are the most talked about and have the most info, im not asking about them. Whats ya'lls take on Tokicos with the Springtech springs (lowering) and if tokicos can handle BMR or strano springs if i were to go this route?

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

this is over a year old. try starting a new tread for more post but ill say the koni strano set it is most talked about cozz they are the best for a reason. the shocks your looking at will get the job done for a bit and not as well. it comes down to are you willing to send the cash for the best or compromise on it and save some coin.

Red
    98 Trans Am

Its more of my stock shocks are going out and i dont have 1000 in the bank to use up on shocks alone at this present time. However, these cobble stone roads out here in germany are killing me and reminding me with every stone that my shocks are pretty worn out after 100k miles. Im all for the best, but right now its compromise time.

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaGrooms83 View Post
    Its more of my stock shocks are going out and i dont have 1000 in the bank to use up on shocks alone at this present time. However, these cobble stone roads out here in germany are killing me and reminding me with every stone that my shocks are pretty worn out after 100k miles. Im all for the best, but right now its compromise time.
    ok i know how that is thats for sure but if you cant get the best then i would look more at the bilstins if it was me. ill pm you more info on some.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information