Results 1 to 9 of 9

rear upper shock mount access

This is a discussion on rear upper shock mount access within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; 2002 Z hatchback R&Ring rear shocks. The bottom is easy enough -DUH But the upper mount access.................... I heard someone ...

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Poplar Grove Illinois
    Posts
    8

    Sunset orange
    Camaro Z28 2002 LS1

    rear upper shock mount access

    2002 Z hatchback
    R&Ring rear shocks.
    The bottom is easy enough -DUH
    But the upper mount access....................
    I heard someone say cut the carpet.
    I just can't cut on Suzzy.
    (I don't want to cut the carpet).
    how do you remove the rear seat speaker trim panels so the carpet can come up easilly?
    I don't want to bust up any plastic.
    Hints - photos
    please help.

  2. #2
    expensive tires az gt eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    phoenix
    Posts
    1,951

    white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

    just remove the rear trunk panels and peel the carpet forward.

  3. #3
    Just me Y2KPewterSS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Broken Arrow, OK
    Age
    42
    Posts
    23,353

    Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

    I don't have any pictures, but there is no need to cut carpet or tear anything up. Just take your time and remove the plastic pieces and pull the carpet back. There will be a foam pad in each hole where the shock bolt comes through. Once you get there, you will realize how easy it is.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Poplar Grove Illinois
    Posts
    8

    Sunset orange
    Camaro Z28 2002 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by az gt eater View Post
    just remove the rear trunk panels and peel the carpet forward.
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    I just carefully folded it around a little then peeled it back like you said.
    Got the shocks R&Red.
    Edelbrock 34031s
    Install was easy.
    But I still have my clunk sound over bumps from right rear.
    Bearing? If I grab the rear right tire and shake (rather violently) I have a clunck. Any ideas? The shocks are much better than what was on there.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Poplar Grove Illinois
    Posts
    8

    Sunset orange
    Camaro Z28 2002 LS1

    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    I don't have any pictures, but there is no need to cut carpet or tear anything up. Just take your time and remove the plastic pieces and pull the carpet back. There will be a foam pad in each hole where the shock bolt comes through. Once you get there, you will realize how easy it is.
    Got it, Shock R&R went well.
    Still have clunk sound from right rear.
    maybe a bearing?
    Ideas?

  6. #6
    Member JRENIGAR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    arkansas
    Posts
    371

    red
    99 camaro

    tighten control arm bolts at body mount location. Its rather intresting that the factory bolt holes on the arms are 1/2in and the body bolt holes and the bolts are like 10.9mm. I fixed this problem by drilling the body mount holes to 1/2in and getting matching bolts so now I dont have to tighten the control arm bolts to hell and back to keep the clunking noise away. Just a thought....

  7. #7
    expensive tires az gt eater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    phoenix
    Posts
    1,951

    white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

    Quote Originally Posted by JRENIGAR View Post
    tighten control arm bolts at body mount location. Its rather intresting that the factory bolt holes on the arms are 1/2in and the body bolt holes and the bolts are like 10.9mm. I fixed this problem by drilling the body mount holes to 1/2in and getting matching bolts so now I dont have to tighten the control arm bolts to hell and back to keep the clunking noise away. Just a thought....
    Very interesting thought.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    1,621

    silver
    2000 formula


  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Poplar Grove Illinois
    Posts
    8

    Sunset orange
    Camaro Z28 2002 LS1

    Thanks JRENIGAR I'll check them control arm bolts.
    Sorry I haven't replied sooner, been a busy week and a half.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. front shock lower springs, shock mount mod?
    By JayTA98 in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-24-2011, 04:48 AM
  2. upper strunt mount (rusted nut issue) ??
    By Mr.Lee in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-15-2009, 10:14 AM
  3. Help: Shock mount components
    By sirenformula350 in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-04-2009, 11:35 AM
  4. unscrew driver side upper mount shock bolts(98' Z28)
    By paq in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-29-2006, 09:01 AM
  5. Upper rubber shock mount problems
    By Banshee1967 in forum General Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-05-2006, 07:20 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •