Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Rear Sway Bars

This is a discussion on Rear Sway Bars within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Originally Posted by bigboykilroy Front Stock 32MM - Rear 25MM Sus Tech. Rear Springs are Mogg Coil Springs. Rear Shocks ...

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

Quote Originally Posted by bigboykilroy View Post
    Front Stock 32MM - Rear 25MM Sus Tech. Rear Springs are Mogg Coil Springs. Rear Shocks QA1
    i'd actually put back a 19mm rear sway bar or max 21mm with your setup and see from there. I think your rear bar is too big.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I'm sure the 25mm rear is fine if you don't push the car or drive in the rain much.

triple-black

putting tires w/ a threadwear of 1000 is also fine provided you don't press on the gas much either... it's still important to tune the car better, especially if there is something that makes it more prone to lose control.
    at least, that's my opinion

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS View Post
    putting tires w/ a threadwear of 1000 is also fine provided you don't press on the gas much either... it's still important to tune the car better, especially if there is something that makes it more prone to lose control.
    at least, that's my opinion
    I agree, but some people just want number and whats cool. Not for me though!

11 Second Club 11.34 bigboykilroy's Avatar

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

its not just the numbers. The car greatly handels the road much better. I know how the car drove with the stock one and now with the upgraded one. I believe that the money was well spent. If it's not for you, then its not for you, but it was definately for me.

triple-black

I can bet that if you do a test in a safe environment with the stock rear bar vs the 25mm, you'll always be faster on the stock bar while taking turns... provided you take them well in both situations.
    I'd put $ on it.

35mm front 21mm rear.... this is sam strano's pick as well as slp's level 2 and 1le set up from back in 2002

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

with the larger bars you will have less body roll left to right and more control taking turns especially in a slalom course. I did put my money on it.....and put it on my car. Even the guy on bull run has the same bars 35mm front and 25mm rear look how his car handeled the slalom course in episode 5. It was holding to the ground so tight that he could not put the car into a drift. - I recomend the 25mm rear. hands down. you dont have to agree and thats ok.

triple-black

all i'm saying is that's a matter of balance.
    main things affecting that balance are springs + swaybars.
    having larger swaybars have the equivalent effect of having higher spring rate when cornering... so a larger rear bar is like having stiffer rear springs.
    Knowing that, if you stiffen the rear, the front has to be stiffen by at least the same amount to maintain the same balance.
    stock, our cars are already setup for oversteer, provided you align the car properly (not the stock POS specs, forcing understeer w/ the positive camber).
    It's not one of those things that bigger is better... have to look @ spring rates (f/r) + swaybars (f/r)
    For example, if a guy puts 500lbs/in front springs + 35mm front sway bar... keeps rear stock... than a 25mm would make lots of sense. Have to look @ the entire setup.... just throwing a big rear bar is a common mistake to have the rear just snap more easily while cornering, no matter how you slice the dice... unless you are doing it to correct understeer.

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

Hmmm....then someone advise me of my set-up issues: Sus. Tech. 35mm f and 21mm r with Eibach Prokit and revalved Bilsteins. AWESOME set-up and works VERY well on the street with my 275 Kumho MX's. Autocrossing with Kumho 710 275/17 tires and still have a lot of push in the front end when going hot into corners. I know half the problem is going too hot into the corners, but would a bigger rear sway bar correct the understeer and give more oversteer (which is prefered and more manageable), or would the bigger rear bar make the back end too stiff and force more understeer?

Yeah what he said. Which is it?

Red
    1998 Firebird Trans AM

I hear what you have to say, but most people that did upgrade their rear bar to 10mm under what the front stock is or upgraded to, have been very happy with the results, even with stock springs or lowering springs. Now i will agree that putting larger bars on the car will not improve your ride, you will feel bumps in the road more, it’s not as soft and cushiony as stock, it does ride like putting stiffer springs on, but on the other side I feel like I have much better control of the car, especially the way I drive it. If you are looking for a soft ride don’t put the larger ones on, if you want a stiff snappy ride upgrade the bars.

Ok so Im votin a bigger rear bar tends to make the car understeer or oversteer less.

triple-black

Quote Originally Posted by Steve L View Post
    Hmmm....then someone advise me of my set-up issues: Sus. Tech. 35mm f and 21mm r with Eibach Prokit and revalved Bilsteins. AWESOME set-up and works VERY well on the street with my 275 Kumho MX's. Autocrossing with Kumho 710 275/17 tires and still have a lot of push in the front end when going hot into corners. I know half the problem is going too hot into the corners, but would a bigger rear sway bar correct the understeer and give more oversteer (which is prefered and more manageable), or would the bigger rear bar make the back end too stiff and force more understeer?
    Adding a bigger bar in rear will induce oversteer, but then the balance would be reverse and you won't be able to go fast on turns (I'm not sure you have a balance issue, actually)... the problem, as you stated, is that you have to go in slower in the beginning of the turn so you end up being faster overall.
    another thing you might consider is revising alignment before throwing more $ on mods. What's your present alignment @ ?

triple-black

Quote Originally Posted by bigboykilroy View Post
    I hear what you have to say, but most people that did upgrade their rear bar to 10mm under what the front stock is or upgraded to, have been very happy with the results, even with stock springs or lowering springs. Now i will agree that putting larger bars on the car will not improve your ride, you will feel bumps in the road more, itís not as soft and cushiony as stock, it does ride like putting stiffer springs on, but on the other side I feel like I have much better control of the car, especially the way I drive it. If you are looking for a soft ride donít put the larger ones on, if you want a stiff snappy ride upgrade the bars.
    that is true on cornering only... bigger bars act as springs, but only while turning. on normal driving and bumps, the car will not feel stiffer.

triple-black

Quote Originally Posted by rickssz View Post
    Ok so Im votin a bigger rear bar tends to make the car understeer or oversteer less.
    bigger bar in the REAR = more oversteer / less understeer
    smaller bar in the REAR = less oversteer / more understeer

bigger bar in the FRONT = less oversteer / more understeer
    smaller bar in the FRONT = more oversteer / less understeer

The actual sizes that will make the car balanced depends mainly on the springs. Shocks play a role as well as tire compound and sizes (not to mention alignment)

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS View Post
    Adding a bigger bar in rear will induce oversteer, but then the balance would be reverse and you won't be able to go fast on turns (I'm not sure you have a balance issue, actually)... the problem, as you stated, is that you have to go in slower in the beginning of the turn so you end up being faster overall.
    another thing you might consider is revising alignment before throwing more $ on mods. What's your present alignment @ ?
    -1.5 camber in front; -.5 in the rear because of the drop. I am thinking either 315's all around on the race tires or a slightly bigger rear bar...or learn how to drive slower into the start of the curve

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information