Black
    2001 Trans Am

Rear alignment is off after Koni/!= rear isolator lowering, car pulls to right, specs

Would an adjustable trac bar/panhard rod fix this rear toe issue? I'm thinking no, but I need some help to figure this out. Car pulls to right, and gets a bit "twitchy" when near the limits. Front alignment is good, tires are all new (so it's not a "radial pull" ) I haven't run over anything or been in an accident, etc. I do have heater hose on top of the rear springs, FWIW. WTF, mate?

Rear toe:
    left 0.35*
    right 0.0*

Rear camber:
    Left 0.5*
    Right -0.3*

Thrust angle:
    0.2*

Front Caster:
    left 5.3*
    right 5.6*

Front Camber:
    left 0.5*
    right 0.4*

Front Toe:
    left 0.0*
    right 0.0*
    total 0.0*

Silver
    1998 Ram Air T/A

Did you have this issue before the new tires? When I had my Super Coupe the factory tires were wearing down so I decided to put a set of Z rated tires from Pep Boys on there. Suddenly the car developed a slight pull to the right.
    After much complaining, tire swapping (which did change the characteristics of the pull) and a letter from a lawyer I got a refund and a new set of GoodYears and everything was fine. The alignment was perfect on the car the whole time so in the end it was the tires.

white
    2002 z28

i heard that lowered cars need the adj panhard bar or helps out a lot.

white
    2002 z28

By nature, a panhard rod will alter rear end position as ride height changes. This makes it necesarry to use an adjustable panhard rod when lowering your vehicle as it allows you to re-center the rear end. Adjustable panhard rods also become a "must-have" part if you are trying to fit the widest tires possible in the wheelwell. Available in Black Hammertone or red powdercoat.

FROM BMR FABRICATION SITE

Black
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by LAWS6 View Post
    Did you have this issue before the new tires? When I had my Super Coupe the factory tires were wearing down so I decided to put a set of Z rated tires from Pep Boys on there. Suddenly the car developed a slight pull to the right.
    After much complaining, tire swapping (which did change the characteristics of the pull) and a letter from a lawyer I got a refund and a new set of GoodYears and everything was fine. The alignment was perfect on the car the whole time so in the end it was the tires.
    yes, I did have it before the tires, but the front alignment was also off at that point, and they were worn funky.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

Quote Originally Posted by anestech* View Post
    Would an adjustable trac bar/panhard rod fix this rear toe issue? I'm thinking no, but I need some help to figure this out. Car pulls to right, and gets a bit "twitchy" when near the limits. Front alignment is good, tires are all new (so it's not a "radial pull" ) I haven't run over anything or been in an accident, etc. I do have heater hose on top of the rear springs, FWIW. WTF, mate?

Rear toe:
    left 0.35*
    right 0.0*

Rear camber:
    Left 0.5*
    Right -0.3*

Thrust angle:
    0.2*

Front Caster:
    left 5.3*
    right 5.6*

Front Camber:
    left 0.5*
    right 0.4*

Front Toe:
    left 0.0*
    right 0.0*
    total 0.0*
    no. a panhard rod controls the left/right centering of the rear. you will need adjustable trailing arms to fix the thrust angle. thrust angle is determined by individual toe readings.

to get rid of your 'twitchyness', change the front camber to -0.50* left and right and set toe to 0.03* left and right.

also, just because the tires are new, doesn't mean they won't have a radial pull. swap the tires left/right and see if the pull changes. this is assuming the alignment readings are correct and their machine isn't out of calibration.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Black
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    no. a panhard rod controls the left/right centering of the rear. you will need adjustable trailing arms to fix the thrust angle. thrust angle is determined by individual toe readings.

to get rid of your 'twitchyness', change the front camber to -0.50* left and right and set toe to 0.03* left and right.

also, just because the tires are new, doesn't mean they won't have a radial pull. swap the tires left/right and see if the pull changes. this is assuming the alignment readings are correct and their machine isn't out of calibration.
    Right, but when you change the ride height, you need to center the axle with the ph rod, and that can pull the axle and an angle creating a thrust. Obviously, trailing arms will do the trick, but since the only thing that changed was the ride height, I would think that a ph bar would be a better place to start.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

incorrect. even at stock height the thrust angle isn't at 0.00*. i've tried adjusting thrust angle with a panhard rod on my own cars. you end up with a rear too far offset to one side. start with adjustable trailing arms, then finish with the panhard rod. i run a suspension/alignment shop. been doing it for 7 years now.

who's to say that lowering the car actually put the rear in the center side/side position? after all, one of the measurements missing is axle offset. the tech didn't push the button to measure it.
    Last edited by mrr23; 07-03-2007 at 02:38 PM.

Black
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by mrr23 View Post
    incorrect. even at stock height the thrust angle isn't at 0.00*. i've tried adjusting thrust angle with a panhard rod omn my own cars. you end up with a rear too far offset to one side. start with adjustable trailing arms, then finish with the panhard rod. i run a suspension/alignment shop. been doing it for 7 years now.

who's to say that lowering the car actually put the rear in the center side/side position? after all, one of the measurements missing is axle offset. the tech didn't push the button to measure it.
    Coolio, I'll start there...

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

it looks like 1 side is higher than the other.
    check the isolator on top of the springs... make sure it's on fully (twist the cap, ie rubber) in the spring well... maybe one side ain't all the way in... easy check and fix, if that's the case.
    Also, do you have adj-LCA ?
    that might explain the thrust-angle.
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

it says he has heater hose on the top of the springs. my 86TA was off by 0.29* at stock height.

Black
    2001 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Eugenio_SS View Post
    it looks like 1 side is higher than the other.
    check the isolator on top of the springs... make sure it's on fully (twist the cap, ie rubber) in the spring well... maybe one side ain't all the way in... easy check and fix, if that's the case.
    Also, do you have adj-LCA ?
    that might explain the thrust-angle.
    Are you looking at the pic in my sig? That was on a sloped driveway, like 3 years ago. Long before I did the Konis. And I have stock LCAs.
    01 Black on Black WS6 A4 3.23, Koni SAs, SLP Lid, Airbox seal, toilet bellows, TB coolant bypass, TR55s, MSD wires, F1 GS-D3s, BMR STB, DD SFCs, GMMG with dual dual 3" tips.
    313 RWHP/324 RWTQ

Black
    2001 Trans Am

Are you looking at the pic in my sig? That was on a sloped driveway, like 3 years ago. Long before I did the Konis. And I have stock LCAs.
    So, after doing some research it seems like the LG poly/heims would be a good choice for me (car is a DD).

But what about the rear camber differences? Could my axle housing be bent?

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

So, after doing some research it seems like the LG poly/heims would be a good choice for me (car is a DD).

But what about the rear camber differences? Could my axle housing be bent?
    just like everything else, there's tolerances that are allowed. it could be, but highly doubtful. mine is the same way.

Thread Information