Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rattle

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Rattle

Driver side rear... I've replaced just about every suspension part you can think of. I still have this incessant, inconsistent rattle. It doesn't always make the sound, but I guess If I had to establish a pattern, it seems to make the noise when I'm on uneven roads.

Also when you push down on the trunk, you get this squeaky rubbery sound.

Any ideas?

Navy Blue Metalic
    02 Z28 Camaro

Could be anything from the rubber graments on the shocks, to the exaust pipe hitting. All I can say is welcome to the sounds of an fbody.
    02 Z28/LS1 NBM - TIN CAN RACING
    Full bolt on, weight reduction mods, dyno tuned by FROST = 330hp/342tq New PB = 12.74 @109

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Check the spare tire hold down and the jack.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Exhaust where it crosses over top of the panhard brace is a good culprit. The rear heat shields in that area can also rattle.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Adjust your hatch bump stops

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

I don't know... it almost sounds like I have a loose DRIVER side tire or the brake rotor is chattering inconsistently. Bottom line the sound is coming from the Driver side and with it comes the feeling like I have an out of round tire on the driver side.

On the side note was that if the car is parked, you can push on the trunk and as the suspension compresses you can hear a squeak. I tried pushing down on it today with the hatch up and I still get the sound, so Thanks to the guy that said to adjust the bump stops... but it won't help

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by transamtom View Post
    Check the spare tire hold down and the jack.
    Was the first thing I checked... sound is generating on the opposite side

Quote Originally Posted by tdevil55 View Post
    Could be anything from the rubber graments on the shocks, to the exaust pipe hitting. All I can say is welcome to the sounds of an fbody.
    My car never did this until this winter and I hoped with rising temperatures the sounds would go away, but they haven't.

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Adjust your hatch bump stops
    read my first more recent post. I hadn't thought to try this, but I popped the hatch and pushed down on the car... the squeaky/rubbery sound still happens.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Exhaust where it crosses over top of the panhard brace is a good culprit. The rear heat shields in that area can also rattle.
    I've had the heat shield rattle before... it was definitely cheaper sounding. Almost like tin. The Rattle I have now is MUCH deeper... It's more like a chattering.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Did you crawl under it and check where the exhaust crosses over the upper pan hard bar like Jeff suggested? My exhaust was hitting in that area as it comes very close to coming in contact where it goes over the axle. Of course, this would be on the passenger side, not the driver side where you say the sound is coming from though.

Is the car sitting level when you look at it? Just ruling out the fact that maybe the spring is not seated properly on one side.

Another thing you could do is crawl under there and look for any fresh, shiny marks on anything metal. This would indicate where two components were rubbing against one another.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Did you crawl under it and check where the exhaust crosses over the upper pan hard bar like Jeff suggested? My exhaust was hitting in that area as it comes very close to coming in contact where it goes over the axle. Of course, this would be on the passenger side, not the driver side where you say the sound is coming from though.

Is the car sitting level when you look at it? Just ruling out the fact that maybe the spring is not seated properly on one side.

Another thing you could do is crawl under there and look for any fresh, shiny marks on anything metal. This would indicate where two components were rubbing against one another.
    Yeah, I looked at the exhaust, but I have a pan hard bar relocation kit which gives me extra clearance. I also just replaced the shocks with Koni's thinking this would get ride of the noise. It seemed to for the first 10 miles, but nevertheless its still there. I've tried checking for shiny metal marks, but there are none that stand out to me... I am wondering if the bearings are shot on my UMI LCA's.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Well the only other thing that comes to mind since you have new suspension components is perhaps something needs to be torqued down again. LCA's loose, PHB loose, etc.

Does it definitely sounds like metal on metal?

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Well the only other thing that comes to mind since you have new suspension components is perhaps something needs to be torqued down again. LCA's loose, PHB loose, etc.

Does it definitely sounds like metal on metal?
    the chatter YES! If it wasn't for the fact that our rear disks are held in place by the rear tire, I would swear that the right rear disk is wobbling back there, but when I get the Chatter I pick up a slight vibration in the left rear, like my tire is out of balance/out of round.

Now I have also been mentioning another sound. this sound sounds like a rubbery squeak or a bad mattress/couch squeak. I can manufacture this sound every time I push down on the rear end of the car and make the suspension compress.

And I tried tightening all my suspension components down too... Worked for about a day... I'm out of ideas, that's why I got on here.
    Last edited by AKA Speedy; 06-19-2011 at 07:59 PM. Reason: more explanation

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Maybe you have a bad wheel bearing

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Check the king nut on the rear shocks to be sure it's tightened properly, with all the isolaters present and that the bushing is properly squashed..

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Maybe you have a bad wheel bearing
    That has become my though on this... When I kick the rim... It rattles. Don't know how I would go about replacing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Check the king nut on the rear shocks to be sure it's tightened properly, with all the isolaters present and that the bushing is properly squashed..
    This sounds like work too... How can I check this? I assume we are talking on top right?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH.WS6 View Post
    That has become my though on this... When I kick the rim... It rattles. Don't know how I would go about replacing that.

This sounds like work too... How can I check this? I assume we are talking on top right?
    It's not too bad, have to pull the plastic wheel wells and carpet to get to the nut.

However if they (king nuts) are rusted, stripped, or broken, you'll need to replace the shocks..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-20-2011 at 04:48 AM. Reason: corrections as per manual

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH.WS6 View Post
    And I tried tightening all my suspension components down too... Worked for about a day... I'm out of ideas, that's why I got on here.
    if tightening everything worked for a day I would think it's suspension related, if you have poly bushings (in my experience) they need to be re-lubed every year or 2 or they squeak. I'd drive the rear up on ramps and crawl under while a friend pushes down on the quarter pannel to make the noise you can usually find the noise really quick if it's something you can repeat in your driveway like that. Take it apart lube it up and reassemble.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Do you have spherical rod ends on your panhard bar or lcas?

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmX2 View Post
    if tightening everything worked for a day I would think it's suspension related, if you have poly bushings (in my experience) they need to be re-lubed every year or 2 or they squeak. I'd drive the rear up on ramps and crawl under while a friend pushes down on the quarter pannel to make the noise you can usually find the noise really quick if it's something you can repeat in your driveway like that. Take it apart lube it up and reassemble.
    I'll have to do that and see if I can track that noise... Now I need a game plan for the chatter

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    It's not too bad, have to pull the plastic wheel wells and carpet to get to the nut.

However if they (king nuts) are rusted, stripped, or broken, you'll need to replace the shocks..
    I would think they're fine... I just had the shocks replaced not but a little while ago with Koni's. I'm wondering if I blew the driver side shock somewhat out because when I went to 315's I cut the bump stops out and bottomed the suspension out on the exhaust a couple times... the exhaust is on the passenger side though, so it probably saved that shock... wouldn't been there for the driver side one though. I inspected the shock today and there doesn't seem to be any oil running down the side of the shock, or any sign that it might have. Also, the car sits level on a flat paved surface.

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Do you have spherical rod ends on your panhard bar or lcas?
    No, I went with the the poly bushings. The LCA's are non adjustable, the Panhard bar is a single adjustable.

Spice Red Metallic
    2006 Pontiac GTO

Oh and sorry for the late reply... I'm in the military and put in some long hours some days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information