Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Problem after installing UMI stuff?

This is a discussion on Problem after installing UMI stuff? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; I will try to do that this weekend, I just got sidetracked with my '97 TA, just started making an ...

Black
    2000 Pontiac WS6

I will try to do that this weekend, I just got sidetracked with my '97 TA, just started making an oscillating sound and I cant nail it down as to where its coming from. There are days where I would trade both of these for a handful of magic beans.......

As far as the tranny mount, it was new 200 miles ago and is still in good shape when I had it back at the shop last week. the main clunk is coming from the passengers side rear. I have the front of the LCA torqued to 100# and the backs to 75#, it helped but still there.

Everything around the tranny is tight, but it still has a clunk like it is winding up then engaging, it may even be the rear end having slop and then transmitting the noise up the driveline.

Anyone got a stock 3.23 3 channel WS6 rear end they want to part with thats in good shape? Regardless of the clunk, that damn thing sounds like ratchets gone wild in the pumpkin. Needs to be replaced with something while I save for a 12 bolt.

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Poly trans mounts are notorious for transmitting noise and vibrations.

I just use the stockers now because of that.
    2010 Camaro SIM 2SS/RS A6
    1999 TA A4 NBM
    12.265 at 110.52mph

Super Moderator

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ Ditto.

Black
    2000 Pontiac WS6

Yep, I am using a stock one. Hopefully I can look at it again this weekend.

Black
    2001 Trans Am (sold)

Sounds pretty normal to me. I had a tunnel mounted torque arm, hated it and sold it a week later due to noise. Bought a Spohn full legnth torque arm then bought the UMI relocation crossmember, hated that too. Same amount of noise. I just run it right off the tranny now, nice and quiet and no problems with 1.6 sixty's.

black
    1999 trans am

I had the same kind of problem with the popping from the middle of the car, so I went under and gave it a little more grease. It was good for a little bit but then it started to make more noise, so again I put more grease and it seemed to fix the problem again. I don't know if that would work for you but it definitely helped me

Black
    2000 Pontiac WS6

Update.

I narrowed some of the clunks down to the rear end so I replaced the rear end finally, that got rid of some of the clunks that were there. That diff was shot, could barely turn the pinion by hand, metal in the pumpkin, etc.

I put the new axle setup in and I still got some clunks mostly when it is shifting hard or if you stab the gas. I also tightened up the front of the LCA's to 130 pounds and that got rid of some of the clunking. I am at a loss at this point as there are still solid clunks happening.

I did notice the exhaust has been rubbing against a unibody section and over the past week there is a rattling happening. I will crawl back under it this week and see if it is clunking from the exhaust hitting the unibody when the motor is torquing.

I don't know if I would do these mods again on a another car. So far it seems like it makes every other little noise that much more noticeable.

The relocation kit attaches the torque arm to a more solid foundation than a factory set up, the relocation kit is attached directly to the chassis of the car so things will be more noticeable with it. Check at the rear of the car and see if the torque arm bracket is hitting the tunnel area at the top of the torque arm, this is usually common with aftermarket arms and can cause a clunk when launching. If you are lowered this issue becomes worse.

When do you hear the clunking? Bumps? During hard throttle?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

have you also checked the exhaust back there too? It gets pretty tight just past the axle back there. You'll run into these issues from time to time when you mod a vehicle. Just keep after it and you'll get it figured out. When all is said and done you'll have a much better set up than you started with.....no reason to give up on suspension mods because of it. It's just frustrating when it happens.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information