Pewter
    1999 Trans Am (WS7)

Popping/banging from back of car

Ok guys, got a quick question. I am getting this popping/banging sound coming from the back of the car and having a hard time diagnosing it. It does it any time you hit the breaks, accelerate, or are driving on uneven surfaces. Right now I have installed, UMI lower control arms poly/poly and they are tight, UMI poly/rod end adj. PHB which seems tight, and UMI lowering springs and KYB AGX shocks and they are tight also. I am thinking that the rod end on tha PHB is the culpret but have no idea how to check it to see if its worn or replace it if its bad. Any suggestions. And thanks in advance.
    99 TA (WS7) Pewter, Auto, 3.23's
    13.08 @ 107.68
    Bolt Ons
    Click for full size

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am (WS7)

Thanks for all the suggestions.

PEWTER
    2002 Z/28 VERT.

Yeah, my 02 vert has the same problem. Sounds like its coming from left rear.Funny thing is after a while it'll stop like after a couple miles.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

i think i might be having the same type of problem as you, but mines in the front wheels so its easier to spot, cuz it does it when i turn the wheel. check your springs in the back to see if theyre hitting your tires. do u go over speed bumps too fast?

Silver
    1998 Trans Am

Also check and see if your springs are seated correctly on the perches. If they turned, which mine did once, then they will make weird noises and possibly rub. My fiance's car was doing the same thing and it turned out to be a broken spring on the lowest coil so it was really hard to see until you jacked up the car and took some of the pressure off the spring itself.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am (WS7)

Thanks for the suggestion, i never would have thought about that. What ever it is I need to figure it out cus its driving me to the point that i don't even want to drive the damn thing.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Chubs View Post
    Thanks for the suggestion, i never would have thought about that. What ever it is I need to figure it out cus its driving me to the point that i don't even want to drive the damn thing.
    just reach ur hand in there and see if the end of the spring is not on the bushing/seat/w.e. its called.

Hugger Orange
    98 Camaro

Couple of things I thought about:

When you installed your lower control arms... did you use the stock bolts or did you install the aftermarket bolts with the kit. The stockers are smaller that the bushings but most people put them back in because you have to open the holes with a reamer to put the new ones in.

Same thing with the panhard bar, sometimes the bolts didn't fit and there is slack with the stockers.

Your torque arm bolts may be loose, check the front of the gear case. While your down there, try twisting your driveshaft with your arms... u-joints.

Jack up the car by the frame and shake the hell out of the rear springs to see if there is something loose there.

Also, powerbrake the car in reverse and forward to see if both rear wheels are pulling. Your rearend could be slipping.

Hope I'm not scaring you, just giving my $.02

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am (WS7)

Thanks for the input man. You brought up some things that I hadn't thought about. U-joints are good, and my rearend seems fine but I'll have to check the TA and the bolts that you mentioned. I'll get back to you guys after I check those things and let you know what I find. Unfortunatlly, due to my job I won't get to it till this weekend. I'm betting on the TA bolts being loose.

Thread Information