Poly bushing set, yes or no???

This is a discussion on Poly bushing set, yes or no??? within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Hi guys, I was thinking of doing a set of polyurethane bushing for my 2002 WS6. Has anyone else had ...

millenium yellow/green
    '02 CETA, '71 Firebird

Poly bushing set, yes or no???

Hi guys,

I was thinking of doing a set of polyurethane bushing for my 2002 WS6. Has anyone else had this set up? Too stiff? Any other recommendations.....

Your input is appreciated....

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

Poly is better then the stock rubber in most cases, but it depending on where you plan to use them. For engine and tranny mounts they work great and for sway bars they work well. For control arms and other parts that have a wide range of motion they are okay, but have a tendency to bind under heavy load causing the suspension to not move freely. You well feel some improve over the rubber bushings simply because they bind too but also deflect allowing suspension parts to move in directions you don’t want them to. The only way to have a free moving suspension is to have all your bushings be rod ends. They allow no deflect and well not bind, this is why most race cars run them everywhere.

Your ride quality well be a little stiffer with either poly or rob ends simply because you no longer have a squishy rubber bushing absorbing impacts. Rod ends well be louder then poly because its metal on metal, where the poly well absorb some noise.
    Last edited by vetteemt; 08-17-2009 at 02:43 AM.
    1998 Camaro SS Hard Coupe Bright Red #1593
    Mods: Lots!!, still my daily driver except for winter
    383rwhp 370rwft/lbs

1979 Corvette
    Mods Lots!!, weekend cruiser
    325rwhp and 320rwft/lbs

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 (Yes its got a HEMI)
    Mods: Catback, BFI CAI, Winter daily driver

millenium yellow/green
    '02 CETA, '71 Firebird

Thanks for the info vette.....I plan on using poly for the sway bars and such, but thats what i was trying to decide if I should use them in the control arms. I've heard people talk about them binding up as you said....so should I just stay with rubber since I dont have the $$ to convert to rod ends?

Thanks again

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

J&M is the only company so far, that has rear LCA's with poly bushing (3 piece polyball) that I would recommend, that's also budget friendly.

FYI, I sent you a link Musclecargt71 .
    Last edited by Blue28; 08-03-2009 at 11:49 AM.

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Musclecargt71 View Post
    Thanks for the info vette.....I plan on using poly for the sway bars and such, but thats what i was trying to decide if I should use them in the control arms. I've heard people talk about them binding up as you said....so should I just stay with rubber since I dont have the $$ to convert to rod ends?

Thanks again
    For a daily driver that you might autocross and drag race every once in a while then the polys would be an upgrade from stock since they well eliminate most of the deflection of rubber. No matter what you do make sure your control arms are grease able with out removing them from the car. Keeping the bushings properly greased, well greatly help with binding. If you are going to seriously drag race and autocross then Iíd hold out for the rod ends. With that said I personally have rod ends everywhere on my daily driver and yes they are noise, but it corners and launches great.

millenium yellow/green
    '02 CETA, '71 Firebird

Thanks for the recommendation...Blue28 I looked at your link and those LCAs look perfect for what I'm looking for. I should buy relocation brackets too since I'll be putting strano springs on the car which will lower it by 1.25" right?

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Musclecargt71 View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation...Blue28 I looked at your link and those LCAs look perfect for what I'm looking for. I should buy relocation brackets too since I'll be putting strano springs on the car which will lower it by 1.25" right?
    I would wait until after you lower you car and see then if you really need lca relocation brackets.

Red
    1998 Camaro SS

You want your rear lower control arms to be level or at a negative angle. Lots of times when people lower their cars they experience that the car well not hook up as well and donít know why. If your rear lcas are at a negative angle you well crate antisquat when launching, which results in hooking up better. What relocation brackets do is correct the lca angle to level or slightly negative after lowering the car. Adding them and setting to a negative angle well greatly help in acceleration traction. Also for relocation brackets Iíve always preferred the weld in type do to the great stress they experience. My set are from Spohn Performance they have multiple holes allowing different lca angles to be set and are also both bolted and welding in. So to answer your question I always say if your going to lower your car then you should always have relocation brackets to correct the suspension geometry.

millenium yellow/green
    '02 CETA, '71 Firebird

Thanks again for the input vette...I will make sure I get the weld-in kind.

Red
    2001 Trans Am

good info here. I'm definitely gonna get the poly bushings for my sway bars

Thread Information