Thread: PHB

Red
    '98 Z28 M6

PHB

If a PHB has rods ends at both ends, is it better than having a PHB with a rod end and a poly/rubber bushing?
    Last edited by phoenixXIV; 11-03-2010 at 09:00 PM.

black
    1999 camaro SS

the benefit of a rod/ rubber combo is to reduce road noise inside of the car. rod end being attached to the suspension and rubber being attached to the body. the benefit of full rod end is the handling capabilities are the best out of all options but it's the roughest ride with the most road noise transfered to the inside of the car.

the rod/rubber combo makes a bigger difference with the LCA rather than the phb because the LCA bolt up directly to the body where the phb bolts to the upper phb and transmits less noise/ bumps in the road.

Red
    '98 Z28 M6

It makes sense to me that rods ends would perform better. But becasue the PHB rotates on only one axis, how could having a poly/rubber bushing at one end and a rod end at the other help? The rod end allows the PHB to rotate up and down and forward and backward relative to the car, but a standard poly/rubber bushing only allows for the PHB to rotate up and down. It seems to me that only having one rod end is useless because the system is still limited by the bushing.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

My guess is that the rod end is probably adjustable and allows the rear to be centered in the car if the ride height is altered. As you only need to move one end to accomplish this, it offers the best of both worlds -- adjustability and noise isolation.

Navy Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28

I've never had a noise issue with rod-end on the PHB,and you shouldn't either.
    IMO get what works best at allowing the the PHB to move as it should without any restriction (rod-ends, roto-joints, johnny joints, etc...) .
    Last edited by Blue28; 11-07-2010 at 06:35 PM.

black
    '02 trans am ws6

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    My guess is that the rod end is probably adjustable and allows the rear to be centered in the car if the ride height is altered.
    My poly BMR is adjustable as well. Went with that after my rod ended PHB drove me crazy with all of its clunking. That was even with it being torqued down almost every couple weeks.
    '02 ws6.....mods? nope

Thread Information