Thread: Panhard Rod

Junior Member LIVINGTHEDREAMLIFE's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS6 Prod #115

Panhard Rod

I Plan On Lowering My 01 Ws6 With The Eibach Pro-kit With The 1.25 Inch Drop All The Way Around. Is It Necessary That I Install A Panhard Rod? From What I Have Heard, A Panhard Rod Should Always Be Installed To Correctly Set Up The Car After The Stock Suspension Is Altered. Is This Info Correct? Please Only Reply If You Know For Sure. I Need 100% Correct Info.

Thanks In Advance,
    Chris

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

T/As come stock with a Panhard rod bar; it keeps the rear end centered and located properly for better handling. What you need is an adjustable Panhard rod bar, the stock one is non-adjustable. If you don't get an adjustable bar and for some reason try to reuse the stock one, the rear end will be shifted to one side and not centered properly.

Junior Member LIVINGTHEDREAMLIFE's Avatar

Navy Blue Metallic
    2001 WS6 Prod #115

Thanks For The Clarification.

Chris

NBM
    99 TA

I have the same drop kit on my TA and drove around for a few years without an adjustable panhard rod. it was alittle off centered, I had to have the fender lips rolled because the tire on the right was hitting the lip on hard bumps. but i also have different wheels and tires. I just installed an UMI single adjustable PHR and do notice some better traction. if you lower it, make sure to get relocation brackets for your rear control arms.

white
    1998 Trans Am

I have had mine lowered for quite some time now...and I didn't install an adjustable panhard rod, is it really necessary, and how do I decide how it needs to be adjusted? Is this something that will be adjusted when I get an alignment? I am about to replace the control arms, why do I need to get relocation brackets? Thanks

NBM
    01 WS6 TA

Yes it is necessary. You can run around with the rear being off center but it's tough on parts and tires. No it won't be adjusted when you get an alignment. If you don't have an adjustable panhard rod it can't be adjusted properly.

when you lower the car it throws off the rears suspensions alignment therefore an adj. PHB will center this back to where it's supposes to be. it's not necessary but its HIGHLY recommended

NBM
    99 TA

you want to get the relocation brackets because it will correct the angle of the control arms relation to the ground, you want it to be lower on the back(axle side) than the front (body side) for traction. you dont have to get it, but it is highly recommended because you will probably spin the tires alot more when its lowered. even though its not absolutely necessary to get an adj phr, i would recommend getting one, they are only a couple hundred bucks and take about an hour or less to put on and adjust. if you are spending the money for lowered springs and im guessing new shocks, might as well protect the investment as much as you can.

white
    1998 Trans Am

If the Phr is not adjusted when I get an alignment...then how do I adjust it? I don't want to put it on and position it incorrectly and screw something up. I would def. like to do the control arms...as the bushing need to be replaced. But I don't want to spend alot of money right now. What would be a good replacement CA and possibly brackets for the money. Also, any recommendations on a PHR, again I don't want to spend alot of money...but I do want to get a decent one. Thanks for the help.

black
    2014 camaro 2ss/rs

an adjustable panhard rod isn't necessary just because you lowered the car. neither is relocation brackets. i measured the offset of the rear on my cars at stock height and the rear was to the left by 1/4" depending on the wheels/tires you use, how much you lower the car, will determine IF you need one. like peterlawl84 said, his rubbed slightly on the right side. you won't know this until you actually lower the car. hell, once you lower it, the rear might be more centered than when it was stock height.

the rear being off center (left/right of center) is not hard on parts and tires. like i just stated, even at stock height, the rear isn't centered perfectly.

adjusting the panhard rod is an eyeball thing mainly. or you can measure from the sidewall of the tire to the inner fenderlip on both sides until even.

relocation brackets move the rear of the trailing arms downward. again, even from the factory thet are not lower in the rear mounting area as compared to the front.

lakewood is the cheapest you find for an adjustable panhard rod.

recap. not necessary, but recommended. and i know this because i own an alignment/suspension shop.
    Cold Air Intake, Muffler Delete, Vinci High Performance Dual Valve Springs, Hardened Pushrods, Yella Terra 1.85 Rockers, Some Hydropdipped Stuff, Strut Tower Brace, Some SS Badges, boost/vacuum gauge, fuel pressure gauge, some checkered stripes, drilled/slotted rotors, ZL1addons Stealth wickerbill, Ruxifey LED side markers

Thread Information