Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Panhard Bar question

This is a discussion on Panhard Bar question within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; That's something that I can't say "sure, replace 'em" to. There are reasons to do it, and reasons to not ...

White
    2001 Z28

That's something that I can't say "sure, replace 'em" to. There are reasons to do it, and reasons to not do it. I'd be happy to discuss if it's something you might want to do, but that'd have to be done on the phone because e-mail is sorely lacking in detail. And again, I'd ask you why? It might be worth it, but I don't know why you are thinking of it. I'm not keen on changing parts just because...
    Sam Strano
    SCCA National Champion (x6)
    SCCA ProSolo Class Champion (x5)
    2009 SCCA ProSolo Overall Champion
    Owner--Strano Performance Parts
    814-849-3450

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

well i was going for more rear end stability and less wheel hop/better hook up. In general looking to upgrade from the stamped u-shaped factory pieces which do have a lot of play in them.

White
    2001 Z28

It doesn't really work like that. Don't assume the stock ones are terrible, while not perfect they aren't as bas as many make them out to be and they aren't as weak as you think. And yet again, I'm happy to discuss this with you and that's the only way I can really tell you if it's a good idea for you or not.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

sam, i tried to call you but the phone just kept ringing. One other quick question for you. When adjusting an adj. PHB say your rear is off to the left about 1/2 in. when its on and you bring that rear axel over the right 1/2in to center it doesnt that put a lot of pressure on the controll arms and springs/shocks?? does the rear end have enough play in it that this movement isnt hard on the other components?? thx

White
    2001 Z28

Did you leave a message? I have 4 incoming lines, and had a customer from Canada picking up a big order.

What you are looking for it for the PHB to center the axle, which is what it should be anyway so there is no great stress on the LCA's.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i was going to leave one but it just kept ringing and ringing.....yeah i guess the only stress thats on it is the stress from t not being centered. Your a smart guy. I am new to the whole suspension thing. Done most other things on my car but suspension was one thing i never messed with. Thanks for your help, its greatly appreciated!

Black
    2002 Camaro Z-28

My .02 FWIW..... Replacing the rear LCAs should improve straight line traction due to the elimination of those questionable rubber bushings used in the stock piece. I would go with the adjustable version so that you have a heim joint which will allow some roll articulation of the rear axle..... the fixed pieces with poly bushings will significantly hamper this motion IMO.

The adjustablble PHB is really only required when you change the ride heighth. As Sam said earlier, I'd be willing to bet the axle is not exactly centered from the factory, so if you are anal and want to center you can accomplish alignment with the APHB. Otherwise, I would save your money until you decide to lower the car then it is mandatory IMO.

White
    2001 Z28

But not all cars have wheelhop and if they don't, just changing the LCA's doesn't much matter. As always, parts get changed to deal with a problem. If you have a problem, you want to change the correct part. Adding LCA's alone isn't a magic potion for "Traction", generally we change those to help a wheelhop issue, or if the axle is all sorts of crooked we'll put in adjustables to fix that.

Want a new car

Sam is right, if you dont get the adjustable you likely will not be centered. I jacked the wheels off the ground because I really cant get the car high enough any other way plus the wheels seem to be easier to line up IMO.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i got the adj. one, put it on and e centered the rear end. looks good, feels good.

Pewter
    00 Formula M6

so where exactly do u measure from to make sure its centered. i mean from what point to what point

Want a new car

Good question, I was doing it from the tire to the fender rim at the same point on both sides.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

i took a string and tied a weight to one end, the other end i taped to the fender so it hangs straight down,.,.....to make sure its the same point on each side i found the exact center of the wheel and made sure the string intersected it. Do the same thing on ther other side, then you measure from the center of your wheel to the hanging string that intersects that imaginary line

Pewter
    00 Formula M6

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    i took a string and tied a weight to one end, the other end i taped to the fender so it hangs straight down,.,.....to make sure its the same point on each side i found the exact center of the wheel and made sure the string intersected it. Do the same thing on ther other side, then you measure from the center of your wheel to the hanging string that intersects that imaginary line
    so a string on each finder haging down to the ground through where the center of the wheel is and found the center of that line? You would have to do this while the car is on the ground right?

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ldanny View Post
    so a string on each finder haging down to the ground through where the center of the wheel is and found the center of that line? You would have to do this while the car is on the ground right?
    yes you need weight on the wheels, you should have weight on the wheels when adjusting the bar anyway b/c thats how the car is sitting normally on the road................aside from that each string should have a weight tied to it so it hangs straight down, and you car should be on a very flat surface. the weight should not hit the ground,...this allows gravity to let then hang directly down. Once the strings are hanging measure from the center of your wheel out to the string on each end. then you can see which end is off.... you can also measure from the fenders to double check just watch where you measure from b/c sometimes doing it freehand its hard to find the same exact reference point

Pewter
    00 Formula M6

cool thanks. just curious how far off was your rear from the factory

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

it was about half an inch to the left(driver side).....you prob wont be able to get it "perfect" but you will def. be able to center it better than factory.

Pewter
    00 Formula M6

yeah i hope to order mine soon. did you notice any difference in handling
    G2 lid,removed EGR/AIR,LS6intake,Shaner S3 Throttlebody,Edelbrock Ti-Tech coated LT's,Lanes 3" TD's with Flo-Pro Twister mufflers,Textralia Exo-Skel Clutch,Adjustable LCA & PHB,UMI boxed SFC,Pro 5.0 shortened 1",Raptor Shift Light,HPE Tune Made 359/361 through a slipping clutch,cats,and catback.

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

honestly i havent driven the much since i put it on. I would say the car feels a little stiffer in hard cornering. but not a huge difference. I am glad I put it on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information