Not Handling Right

This is a discussion on Not Handling Right within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; I Have the same re-occuring problem, whenever I am driving & turning to the right I get a whirring sound, ...

White
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Not Handling Right

I Have the same re-occuring problem, whenever I am driving & turning to the right I get a whirring sound, Whir,Whir,Whir,Whir,Whir it seems like it whir's whith the turning of the tire... Now, this happens ONLY when I turn to the right while driving, left or straight is fine. While this happens I feel the vibration of this whirring on the driverside floorboard. Now I am thinking either it's my upper U-Joint, 1 or both front rotors?? (since all of them are warped REALLY bad) I am Stumped. I can't think of any other way to explain it? Has anyone had this problem?? Suggestions?

Thanks

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Could be a couple things. Its not a ball joint, they don't make the type of sound you are describing.

Usually warped rotors will not make that sound, either. They will just cause a pulsation in the steering wheel when you hit the brakes.

I'm betting its a wheel bearing. When a hub assembly goes bad, they often cause a vibration in the steering wheel while turning, and if they are really bad, they can make noises like you have described.

Pull your wheel off, remove your caliper bracket and rotor, and spin the hbb assembly. Listen for any grinding sounds and feel how much resistance it has. It should spin smoothly and quietly, if not, it needs to be replaced.

White
    2000 Trans Am WS.6

Thanks for the reply The wheel bearing might just be the culprit- I need to pull it apart & see, i have 71,xxx miles on the car, usually they dont go out that quick do they?

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by jpn8801 View Post
    Thanks for the reply The wheel bearing might just be the culprit- I need to pull it apart & see, i have 71,xxx miles on the car, usually they dont go out that quick do they?
    They are sealed hubs, you have to buy a whole unit.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by jpn8801 View Post
    Not usually. You never know though, check it out and see what you can find.

triple-black
    2000 CamaroSS convertible

check the black plastic of inner fender in front of the driver side front tire... it might be out of place... I had that once... and all I needed to do was put it in its place tucked-in behind the front fender (I'm talking of the plastic piece right in front of the tire)... should not be sticking out on the bottom... needs to be tucked inside the front fender. worth the double-check
    Eugenio_SS
    almost stock triple-black 2000 SS convertible with 17x11s on all 4 w/ 315s at the track or on the street with 18x10.5s on all 4 w/ 315s: (1), (2)

Thread Information