rice,its what's fo dinner LeadFarmer's Avatar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

new shocks/struts or SFCs?

So I bought a lowering set for the WS6. This includes a set of BMR lowering springs, LCA Relocation brackets, and an on-car adjustable PHR. I have room in my budget left for one more suspension component for the time being. My question is should I use that budget for SFCs or a set of TOKICO/Bilstien Shocks/Struts. I'll eventually have both upgrades on the car, but for now which should I get first/which is more important? I'm currently riding on the stock deCarbons and completely stock suspension-120k miles

Shocks. You need better damping to control lowering springs. You'll wear the stock shocks out. Picking between bilstein's and tokico is easy too, bilstein all the way. SFC's are one of those components that do add rigidity, but don't have as much impact as people think. Shocks definitely have a big impact. One more point, and it's nit picky I know, but 4th gen f-bodies have shocks all the way around, no struts.

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

thanks, I was thinkin the same. Just wanted reassurance. Also do have any idea if any of the coilover kits that are available for f-bodies are any good for a DD?

Quote Originally Posted by LeadFarmer View Post
    thanks, I was thinkin the same. Just wanted reassurance. Also do have any idea if any of the coilover kits that are available for f-bodies are any good for a DD?
    There are a few for the front that are ride/handling oriented (penske, kw), and also ground control sleeves that can be fitted to aftermarkets shocks. Spohn is the only company I'm aware of that offers brackets to run rear coilovers (using QA1's which aren't very good at all), but using coilovers in the rear is not a good idea. The kit puts the corner weights of the rear on one bolt per side, and in the frame's shock mounts. None of those areas were designed to carry the static weight of the car, never mind the dynamic loads when the car is actually moving. I've seen one car actually snap the axle mount bolt, and of course when that happens the car lands hard on the axle or wheel.
    Last edited by lees02ws6; 08-28-2011 at 11:52 AM. Reason: grammar

Silver/Black
    00' z28-R.I.P 00' WS6 M6

wow lol, well i'll cross those off the list for suspension upgrades on future f-bodies lol

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Ive got Bilstien Shocks that are paired with eibach springs for a DD. Bilsteins are a good choice. your gonna feel the bumps more when you get around to lowering it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Go with the SFC's. Our cars flex even under stock power. SFC's are in the top 3 things that are recommended as a must do when you get your car. Your car will benefit more from these then springs and shocks at first. Put all together and they make for a solid foundation.

3 points <2 points, but both are vast improvements over nothing.

3 points pro's & cons - good for auto cross and really firms up the suspension/verts can't use them

2 points pros/cons - good enough for straight line racing, verts can use/ok for autocross/drift, but not as good as 3 point.

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Go with the SFC's. Our cars flex even under stock power. SFC's are in the top 3 things that are recommended as a must do when you get your car. Your car will benefit more from these then springs and shocks at first. Put all together and they make for a solid foundation.

3 points <2 points, but both are vast improvements over nothing.

3 points pro's & cons - good for auto cross and really firms up the suspension/verts can't use them

2 points pros/cons - good enough for straight line racing, verts can use/ok for autocross/drift, but not as good as 3 point.
    I have to disagree, and I know Sam Strano, and several autox'ers would also. The stock decarbon shocks have to be the worst part on the car. The shocks and springs work all the time, and of the suspension parts the shocks will have the biggest impact even with stock springs.

SFC's are nice, but they're not nearly as important people seem to think they are.

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

I think both are very high in importance, but if your already getting lowering springs I would go with shocks first to compliment them, then SFC.
    I am not lowering mine as of yet so I did SFC first and it was defineatly worth it.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

I've done both SFC's and Springs. I did not have enough to go to the Bilsteins but they are on the to do list.

Thread Information