New shock/spring recommendation

This is a discussion on New shock/spring recommendation within the Suspension and Handling forums, part of the General Help category; Bone stock other than SLP exhaust. Needs springs and shocks real bad. Front end completely redone (tie rods, ball joints, ...

Black
    98 T/A

New shock/spring recommendation

Bone stock other than SLP exhaust. Needs springs and shocks real bad. Front end completely redone (tie rods, ball joints, brakes, bushings). Looking not to lower (or lower too much) but better than stock handling without any other mods. Looking to spend $6-800. Car spends most of it's time on freeway..

Was looking at http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...6874861&rd=1,1

Thoughts?

Navy Blue Metalic
    1999 Z28 Convertible

I installed the SLP Level II suspension on my 99 Z28 convertible. That contains Bilstein Shocks and Eibach springs, stiffer swap bars (front and rear) and LCA's with Poly bushings. It lowered the car a little, maybe .75-1.0 inches. I also added Sub-Frame connectors (weld-on) from BMR to tie it all together. The ride is 'firm' to say the least. The change in the handling was dramatic. It is incredible how well it holds the turns and settles down after a bump. I am having a problem with the poly bushings on the LCAs being too rigid and sqeaking. I'm going to put the old LCA's on, but I dont think it'll make much difference in the handling.

Our cars have plenty of HP, so if you are going to do one major upgrade, it should be the suspension. It makes the car so much more fun to drive, and fixes one of the know weaknesses on the F-body.

Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

Run either Prothane or Energy suspension bushing kits, that will make a world of a difference to start. I know the bushing on my 99 Bird are shot and it handles real sloppy versus when I bought it several years ago.
    I am going to run multi stage KYB and springs through Summit racing due to budget reason, but at least I can adjust rebound, and I am going to go with a much firmer front spring and stay with stock rear springs for drag purposes.
    -Tim

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by PaganEgyptian View Post
    Run either Prothane or Energy suspension bushing kits, that will make a world of a difference to start. I know the bushing on my 99 Bird are shot and it handles real sloppy versus when I bought it several years ago.
    I am going to run multi stage KYB and springs through Summit racing due to budget reason, but at least I can adjust rebound, and I am going to go with a much firmer front spring and stay with stock rear springs for drag purposes.
    -Tim
    I put the SLP level 1 suspension on mine at around 8,000 miles, the one with the SLP-=spec Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs. I now have 84,000 miles on the car with the same suspension, and it has worked well. BUT, the Bilsteins are a little hard, and I was thinking about trying out the Edelbrock IAS Performer shocks with the inertia valving. A Z06 owner reported slighty more consistent lap times (at Lime Rock, I think) using those shocks. They stay hard on smooth surfaces, soften up on rough pavement.

Problem is, my Bilsteins just won't wear out!
    (Was "Bolide," member since 5/2000). 2000 Camaro SS, M6. SLP Level 1 susp, SFCs + STB, cold air kit, 1.85-1 rockers, Race LCAs + Panhard, Richmond 3.73 gears, B&M Ripper, Shaner S2, MAF ends, Hypertech etc. 328 rwhp (stock tuning)

Thread Information