Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

New Rack and Pinion/Powersterring pump issue

So after replacing the rack and pinion I took it and got it realigned. Then I put it a new power steering pump and did the intercooler so it would not run off the antifreeze hose and powersteering pump cooler. So when I am driving everything is fine and the Trans am works and turns 4.0. The issue is when I am not moving or when I stop and go to turn the wheels and it takes everything I have in order to turn the wheels left or right. I have no clue what it is or what might be causing the issue. I figure I might have just got a bad re-man rack and pinion.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Check to see if the fluid level is where it should be, then put the front end in the air (safely) and with the engine running slowly turn the steering wheel from lock-to-lock a couple of times. This will purge any air out of the system and if you experience any resistance or jerkiness in the steering that does not go away then you may in fact have a problem. Be sure to re-check your fluid level once you have the front end back on the ground.

Any chance you accidentally left one of the ports plugged on the aftermarket cooler during installation? I think mine came with small plastic caps that had to be removed.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

I did in fact did the lock to lock steering wheel and everything checked fine. There was jerkiniess for the first few mins while bleeding the system but after awhile there were no bubbles and no jerkiness. The intercooler did not have any issues and did not have any caps on it. I inspected it thoroughly before installing it. I also looked over the rack and pinion and did not see anything either. The fluid was a little higher than normal but I could not see that effecting the actually turning while the vehicle is sitting still. While driving the car is ok, the turning of the steering wheel seems fine unless it is a deep left turn and I get a little resistance. The most significant resistance though is when the car is not moving.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Hmmm. I assume that with all the components being replaced that it has new fluid throughout the system?

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

Yes, all new fluid and flushed the entire system with a little over 2 gallons of power steering fluid.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Hmmm. Odd. I know our cars use ATF in the power steering system, but can also use power steering fluid. When you removed the rack, did you feel any resistance in the column while removing the pinch bolt to the rack? I ask as I had a similar instance a few years ago assisting a coworker who replaced a steering rack. Still had resistance and it turned out to be a bad steering shaft.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

I did not think about the steering shaft. Its just weird that the only time I have resistance is when the car is not moving. I have the TA in the shop for emissions but I also have them looking at the steering issue. I will keep this in mind as well and hopefully hear back about whats going on. *Update* It was an extreme pain removing the steering shaft when I first removed the rack and pinion
    Last edited by RedFenix_68; 11-19-2015 at 01:18 PM.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

While moving, a car with manual steering can be directed easily as the vehicle is rolling. Parking is a whole different story. Also, has ANYTHING been done to the column? Steering column play?
    Last edited by cammed goat; 11-23-2015 at 04:23 AM.

Red
    2000 Trans Am WS.6 M6

**Update** so when sitting still and giving the car a little gas the steering wheel comes loose like it should. I am going to go take it to the shop to see if they cant purge the powersteering system. I figure there might still be milky fluid or something clogging the rack and pinion. Will update to see if it changes or not. Any suggestions are welcomed.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Keep us posted.

Thread Information